Is it time carnival goes mega ship?

Bllybb758

I had nothing to do with your rudeness.

Back to the topic? Or more deflection? Your choice.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Deflection? The whole thread has been on topic until your Bob Dylan impression gone wrong.

His point is valid, as was my question to you. Cruising is most def changing, some, believe it or not think that behemoths of the seas are not the answer (you may be surprised to find out that the majority think that). Is it really that much of a stretch? Royal is pushing a lot of these buttons, some successfully and some not so much. We can discuss it if you want or you can make non responsive answers and we can move on...your choice.

Personally, I applaude Carnival for staying out of the mega ship madness. They've stayed the course with their model and resisted getting sucked into a self destructive race. When the economy tanks again, and it will, sooner or later, I'd rather have Carnival's fleet than some of the others.

His point is valid, as was my question to you. Cruising is most def changing, some, believe it or not think that behemoths of the seas are not the answer (you may be surprised to find out that the majority think that. Is it really that much of a stretch?
Well go ahead and post the industry research proving your contention. Oh wait that's just your guess? Imagine that! What could your guess be based on? Could it be based on what the companies that do the market research and have access to that information are doing with Millions upon Millions... even billions of dollars? No. Apparently it's just based on your own personal antipathy for the changes that are going to be happening.

Like it or not the best insight we have into what we passengers collectively are likely to be rewarding the cruise lines for doing is by watching what the cruise lines do with the insights they get from their research. They are not guessing. They're doing research.

You don't like big ships. Message received. Get over it. Two 180,000 gross ton Carnival Mega ships are coming. They're not building them on a lark.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Does anybody remember when the term "megaship" meant a ship more than 70,000 tons? [emoji23] I remember when Carnival Destiny broke the 100,000 ton mark. That ship made more waves (no pun intended) back in 1996 than the Oasis made when it was inaugurated.

I remember when Destiny first arrived in Miami (I was living there at the time) and all the negative comments from the naysayers were curiously similar to the comments about Oasis now, yet Destiny (Sunshine) is considered "cozy" these days. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember when Destiny first arrived in Miami (I was living there at the time) and all the negative comments from the naysayers were curiously similar to the comments about Oasis now.
Excellent point.

Well go ahead and post the industry research proving your contention. Oh wait that's just your guess? Imagine that! What could your guess be based on? Could it be based on what the companies that do the market research and have access to that information are doing with Millions upon Millions... even billions of dollars? No. Apparently it's just based on your own personal antipathy for the changes that are going to be happening.

Like it or not the best insight we have into what we passengers collectively are likely to be rewarding the cruise lines for doing is by watching what the cruise lines do with the insights they get from their research. They are not guessing. They're doing research.

You don't like big ships. Message received. Get over it. Two 180,000 gross ton Carnival Mega ships are coming. They're not building them on a lark.

My we are fiery tonite. Did I not already say that Carnival has two on order? I will be just fine living with that fact, and god willing, I will sail on one when they come out. Thanks for the insight on how to gain knowledge. You are joking right??? Don't let the soapbox tip over when you are hopping down. There must be a full moon tonight.

Actually it seems more like the Moon is in rudeness retrograde.

I seem to recall on the Holland America Forum the same general reluctance to acknowledge this basic Trend occurring in the builds of new ships (in that case related to the Koenigsburg and Nieuw Statendam) and the unwillingness to acknowledge that this trend is not a mistake being made by the cruise line but rather is a reflection of an understanding of how the market itself is changing. When things are changing a Direction people don't like they seem to have a really hard time coming to grips with the reality.

Does anybody remember when the term "megaship" meant a ship more than 70,000 tons? [emoji23] I remember when Carnival Destiny broke the 100,000 ton mark. That ship made more waves (no pun intended) back in 1996 than the Oasis made when it was inaugurated.

I remember when Destiny first arrived in Miami (I was living there at the time) and all the negative comments from the naysayers were curiously similar to the comments about Oasis now, yet Destiny (Sunshine) is considered "cozy" these days. [emoji6]

Ahhhh the good ole days. Where is kathie Lee, I can almost hear her now. That swim up bar on 9 aft. Where is uncle Bob when I need him????

Actually it seems more like the Moon is in rudeness retrograde.

I seem to recall on the Holland America Forum the same general reluctance to acknowledge this basic Trend occurring in the builds of new ships and the unwillingness to acknowledge that this trend is not a mistake being made by the cruise line but rather is a reflection of an understanding of how the market itself is changing. When things are changing a Direction people don't like they seem to have a really hard time coming to grips with the reality.

Do you just willfully reject reading comprehension? And so hopelessly argumentative. Nobody on this thread is denying that mega ships are on the way.

Personally, I applaude Carnival for staying out of the mega ship madness. They've stayed the course with their model and resisted getting sucked into a self destructive race. When the economy tanks again, and it will, sooner or later, I'd rather have Carnival's fleet than some of the others.

On a more serious note, royal, NFL and msc (to a lesser extent cuz he ain't hurtin for money) are going to have a lot of ships to oh for when that happens. There was a time (they the Dream build I believe) when the only ship Carnival had a note on was the Triumph. Doubt that I true but not sure anymore (maybe buu knows).

Ahhhh the good ole days. Where is kathie Lee, I can almost hear her now

The only reason why I'm sharing this is because of the anonymity provided by these boards, but I actually owned a copy of the Destiny's introduction video, featuring Kathy Lee singing away the praises of this ship, ON VHS! [emoji23]And I loooooved watching it.

The only reason why I'm sharing this is because of the anonymity provided by these boards, but I actually owned a copy of the Destiny's introduction video, featuring Kathy Lee singing away the praises of this ship, ON VHS! [emoji23]And I loooooved watching it.

Lol, I still have one, now if if I only had a VHS vcr to play it on. It was a pretty big deal when we made the jump to Destiny from the Imagination.... and we got a balcony to boot!!!!

Sooner or later their hand will be forced, I think. Fantasy-class ships will age out eventually; probably as they approach 30 years old; so another 5 to 10 years. While the ships may be structurally sound, I suspect safety and emissions regulations will be a big part of it, and simply being a very aged product that won't be in line with the direction the line wants to go.

New ships will be built to meet, and hopefully if economic times are good at that point, grow capacity but they must be more cost efficient. This means they are not going to build eight 2000 - 2500 capacity ships to replace eight 2000 - 2500 capacity ships. It means you are more likely to see a family of 3 - 4 ships in the 150 - 200k tonnage size range and in the 4500-6000 pax capacity range.

There is already tremendous overlap in itineraries and for Caribbean sailings not too many new / unique places for mass market lines. The promise of new flagships could spur long term contracts between Carnival and port cities for renovated facilities; also good for local economies.

I get that not everyone likes very large ships, and that's a fine opinion to have, but practically speaking soon the 100K ships will be the small ones, 110-140K the midsizers, and 150K to 200K the mega ships.

If Carnival chooses to stay with their traditional layouts and just add more decks, this could be very problematic. If they break the mold and really design ships capable of those capacities, it could be a great thing.

Do you just willfully reject reading comprehension?
I reject rudeness directed my way. I highlight the scurrilous nature of it and move on.

If you want your comments to be respected then write them with respect.

Do you just willfully reject reading comprehension? And so hopelessly argumentative. Nobody on this thread is denying that mega ships are on the way.

I got a needs improvement in reading comprehension, does that count?

I reject rudeness directed my way. I highlight the scurrilous nature of it and move on.

If you want your comments to be respected then write them with respect.

Again with the victim card. Do you play this game in every thread that you run across?

Again with the victim card. Do you play this game in every thread that you run across?
Do you try to drive every thread onto some vacant meta discussion when people don't kowtow to your personal perspective?

Get back on topic. Stop with the meta discussion.

I kind of like the smaller ships. The Pride has been my favorite across a dozen ships, though the decor had a lot to do with that. I cruise for relaxation, good food, pampering and gambling (not necessarily in that order). The piano bar/comedy club/show selection is just perfect for me, would feel like I'm paying for stuff I don't want if there were too many more options to balance gambling, family time, non-gambling entertainment and relaxation. Just my two cents.

Sooner or later their hand will be forced, I think. Fantasy-class ships will age out eventually; probably as they approach 30 years old; so another 5 to 10 years.

I know that sooner or later the Fantasy class ships will be sold to other cruise lines or scrapped. What I'm wondering is what will happen to port cities like Mobile and Jacksonville. Will they be abandoned? Or will they be upgraded to Victory or Triumph? (I doubt that they'll get a Spirit class ship).

Do you try to drive every thread onto some vacant meta discussion when people don't kowtow to your personal perspective?

Get back on topic. Stop with the meta discussion.

Deflection. Again. This thread started getting off track at post #63. And now I will extract myself from your alternate reality vortex.

What I'm wondering is what will happen to port cities like Mobile and Jacksonville. Will they be abandoned?
I'm not sure that there is a real case to be made for Mobile and Jacksonville. Both of them are within easy driving distance of where I live but yet I'm driving to Port Canaveral instead. Concentrating operations in places like New Orleans and Tampa and Port Canaveral probably makes more sense than spreading out operations to include Mobile, Jacksonville, Charleston, etc. It really comes down to how much local folks change their perspectives about traveling to a nearby, larger port, like we do. However, I recall at least one smaller port's city discussing the importance of improving the port so that the port can support larger ships, which evidently they see as inevitable, so who knows?

And now I will extract myself from your alternate reality vortex.
Let's hope so. The off topic meta discussions have been unnecessary and distracting.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.