Alaska Cruise - First Timer

snowhite1019

We've done many AK cruises and we feel HAL's 14-day Seattle RT itinerary is the very best. Small, well maintained ships, GREAT food. Several ports that NO other cruise lines (except boutique lines) go to. Port in Anchorage (not Seward or Whittier) for all day. Just a great trip. As for cabins, we've decided that balconies aren't worth it because it's often too cool to enjoy them. But we're the type that uses the cabin only for changing and sleeping, so that may not fit your tastes. I recommend the White Pass train if you go to Skagway and float plane over Misty Fjords. If you're a hiker, there are wonderful trails to explore at every stop. Above all, take binoculars and enjoy the magnificent views!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How busy is the pool deck? We usually don't want a cabin right under the pool deck, but w/ a colder itinerary, maybe there won't be too much noise.

How busy is the pool deck? We usually don't want a cabin right under the pool deck, but w/ a colder itinerary, maybe there won't be too much noise.

That probably depends on what cruise line you're on. HAL would be no problem (older pax). PCL would be more used but I don't think the noise would be too bad. We've only done AK on those two lines. Also some ships have a pool that's either enclosed or has a top that can be opened or closed, so an enclosed pool area wouldn't be affected by cool weather and would be more active. And weather in AK can be 50/50, either nice and warm or cool and wet so you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As someone who spends half their time working in Alaska, is like to make a few additional points. I would recommend August, especially if traveling without kids. The temps are high 60's during the day, low 50's at night. School will be starting soon, so tourist season is winding down, and better deals are to be found than peak summer months. From Anchorage, a short 30 minute plane ride will take you to some of the best fishing in the world, and there is tons to do around town if that doesn't suit you. The cruise lines always shuffle people in and out so fast, they don't get to look around for long. Whether south or northbound, I wouldn't take a round trip, as they aren't long enough to see much of the state. Also, if you plan a couple extra days, there are day trip glacier and wildlife cruises, if you don't want to pay for that balcony.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app