July 15th Cook and Society Islands Review

Thanks for this terrific insight into your trip. I am totally enjoying it. Do you know if there was a shuttle from tender point to Fare in Huahini?

Yes, there was a free shuttle into town.

From the first visit point of view knowing what I know now, I would tell other first timers to save anything land for the second visit here. We absolutely loved our picnic tour through PG and it is a true interact with locals experience.

July 18th: Rarotonga (Raring to Sightsee)

The 6:30 La Palette and 7am Le Grille routine begins. Rarotonga is another questionable tender port as the ship cannot anchor inside the lagoon. We could see the shadow of the mountains after breakfast but that is about it as it was raining heavily. A tender is dropped into the water around 8am and we could all see it struggling in the water under these conditions with the waves. An hour passes with seemingly nothing else happening. At 9am the ship starts moving along the island and we get an announcement from the captain saying that it would not be possible to tender here, he is trying the other side of the island and there would be another announcement in about 45 minutes. By 9:45 the rain had cleared and it was sunny on the other side of the island. There was another announcement with good news saying the first tender would be at 10am.

Tip: I would NOT book anything independent except for a rental car that allows you to pay when you get here. First-time visit? Consider it a choice between a PG excursion or Island Car and Bike Rental (I'll explain why this option is a good one in a minute).

We had a rental with Island Car and Bike. We were at first unsure what would happen with this change of locations. We had concierge email them and it turns out that they have offices in both locations. The contacted back and confirmed pickup from the new tender pier no problem. Loading tenders was an adventure and again took a long time. The tender ride is uncomfortable for the entire 10-15 minutes the boat is tendering... think roller coaster ride here. We were onshore close to 10:30 and it was probably another half-hour to be picked up and taken to the car rental office. We were driving sometime around 11:30. Driving is on the left side of the road here and the steering wheel is on the opposite side as well. Our first stop was an up and coming cafe which is in my slideshow... it is a very quaint local place. We did some shopping in Avarua district. This really is one of the better souvenir opportunities on this route with there being more shops than most other places and NZD is weaker than XPF so it just costs less to begin with.

We made a stop at Muri Beach. This is nice but our time was significantly reduced to just taking a few pictures and moving along. The next stop we made, is in my opinion, the highlight of the entire island and it seems that the only way to see it is by renting a car... Maire Nui Botanical Garden. What a serene place this is with all of the tropical vegetation and there is also a small outdoor cafe here. Take some time to sit at the picnic table in the hut and get your pictures if you can... This is my cover photo for this day's slideshow. ... I recommend allowing an hour (or perhaps more) to relax and have a snack at the cafe.

A little further down the road is the Abandoned Sheraton. The construction was supposedly halted by involvement of the mafia taking off with the money. You really cannot miss this one. There were personal belongings of some people apparently living there. The South Pacific has a way of making defunct building a tourist attraction I guess. Renting a car only cost us around $50 USD. This is a great inexpensive way to sightsee.

It is possible to circle the island with stops in about three hours at a quicker pace. Even if you take longer at Muri Beach you will probably be back where you started in five hours maximum. We were back on the 3pm tender.

Back on the ship, we ordered burgers and clam chowder in Le Grill for our lunch. It was pleasant on the pool deck with the mountains in the background and we spent the afternoon with our cruise friends Bryce and Susie from the Huahine tour and Daniel from the Aitutaki tour. 5pm rolls around and it is time for sail away.

Then comes a word from Captain Toni... He comes on and says that conditions have become considerably worse off the coast of Rarotonga and says for us to be prepared for an uncomfortable ride back to Bora Bora.

Remember when I said that sailing to the Cook Islands (which was very rough) was the better of the sea time? Get the popcorn ready for the next segment.

The sail away gave some nice views of the mountain and the sun was setting on the other side of the ship. We saw whale spouts in the distance while sailing away and also in the morning which was very neat. Less than a half-hour after sail away the pool deck was completely shut down and it was very uncomfortable to be on the open decks with the wind. We all went down for drinks in the piano bar before dinner. Dinner was in Le Etoile for us tonight, I ordered Calamari, Peach and Mango Soup, Caesar Salad, Crab Legs (already cracked open which is fantastic), and a Chocolate Tart. This menu was a very good one.

I went to the 8:30 and 10:15 Santa Rosa sets. I believe the show tonight was Unforgettable Divas and it was at 9:30. I know most of the tunes from this era and it was enjoyable. I played some cards tonight at 11 in the Piano Bar.

I heard a few sounds later that night from the lower decks. I did not know what to think of it yet.

Slideshow coming soon and the July 20th: Sea Day II (Still on the Bridge) review.

Edited by Notion_of_the_Ocean

New Slideshow:

July 19th: Rarotonga (Raring to Sightsee)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/650ziolwvg5u2jq/July%2019th%3A%20Rarotonga%20%28Raring%20to%20Sightsee%29.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

July 12th: Los Angeles (Reach for the Stars):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k65ffqq5tr...rs%29.mp4?dl=0

July 13th: Los Angeles (Midnight Flight):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh0ovv5h21...ht%29.mp4?dl=0

July 14th: Tahiti (Ia Orana Tahiti):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x07vm60g08...ti%29.mp4?dl=0

July 15th: Paul Gauguin Embarkation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23uirhpq20...ation.mp4?dl=0

July 16th: Huahine (Picturesque Picnic)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqthdc9mv3...icnic.mp4?dl=0

July 17th: Sea Day (Rhythm of the Ocean)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iesznff4af...an%29.mp4?dl=0

July 18th: Aitutaki (One Foot Island)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pvhhrgy706fpar/July%2018th%3A%20Aitutaki%20%28One%20Foot%20Island%29.mp4?dl=0

July 20th: Sea Day II (Still on the Bridge)

I was up at La Palette at for the usual routine but something was amiss this morning....

The ship was barely moving. I later learned that we had the dreaded

engine failure occur...twice apparently. The ship was just in dry dock about a month ago. Not too thrilled with the way this morning started. The captain came on and said that it was fixed an hour later... thank heavens.

Pool deck? Closed and pool drained

Elevators? My Dad got stuck in one that he had to force the door open. Stairs were tricky to navigate as well.

There was a craft activity in the morning that my mom attended. Lunch was again moved to Le Etoile I did a crazy golf activity which they found the perfect name for it today. The sun came out for a little while in the afternoon while I was participating in a Polynesian art class. Another round of rain came at 4pm but cleared out quickly in time for sunset which I did get out to see.

At 5pm an announcement came on... and it was not a pleasant one. Due to the engine failures and sea conditions, the arrival to Bora Bora was delayed until the afternoon the next day. My #1 anticipated tour which I had scheduled on the first day to Thalasso was cancelled and there was no room for the three of us on the next day. (I had already lost the helicopter tour I wanted to do their when the Helicopter company went bankrupt long before boarding). I would lose the sunset cruise as well but that actually is not until the next segment. Now, before anyone says "oh these things happen".... I am not wealthy. Making this trip work was a four year effort that came to life from a desire to explore Bora Bora. I walked off in despair.

I went to the piano bar visibly upset and it seemed like nothing could be done. Mike goes down to the tour desk and then comes back up and says there are two spots open for the Thalasso tour on the second day. My mom and I immediately grabbed the spots but prepared for my Dad not being able to come with us. Turns out, Mike sacrificed his spots on that tour for us. We cannot thank him enough for this. We begged the tour desk to try and get my Dad in the tour but this would go unanswered for the moment.

We had dinner tonight in Le Verandah. I ordered Salmon Cake, Lentil Soup, Caesar Salad, Mahi Mahi, and Creme Brulee

Les Gauguines did a show tonight at 9:30 which included the Fakateretere dance which was excellent. I have been hearing the song throughout the cruise and it was nice to actually see the dance. It has been recorded for my slideshow.

The night finished with the usual late Santa Rosa set.

The title "Still on the Bridge" comes from Toni's announcements on this day where he started with "I'm still here on the bridge" in case anyone was wondering.

Well now that that is out of the way. Slideshow up next and then on to a better segment.

New Slideshow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mat8srqyx9733aj/July%2020th%3A%20Sea%20Day%20II%20%28Still%20on%20the%20Bridge%29.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pvhhrgy70...nd%29.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/650ziolwvg...ee%29.mp4?dl=0

Hi Brandon, I was on this cruise, and I love this review! Accurate, detailed. I'm reliving it! I thought this might be you as I overheard you talking ground stops early on. I too had Midwestern problems w tarmac ins n out at the bend, and ground stops in dtw. Planned almost 5 or 6 hours to change from delta dom to atn in lax, but ended up w just short of an hour. Ran thru w bags, and atn staff checked in asap, then used badge to get us thru security. Holy Cow! Luckily had days in moorea, but missing those would have been costly heartbreak.

Saw you at IC afterwards too. Now I wish I said hi. I love this review! I love that you appreciate your luck and planning and maxing out activities. Good job!

Hi Brandon, I was on this cruise, and I love this review! Accurate, detailed. I'm reliving it! I thought this might be you as I overheard you talking ground stops early on. I too had Midwestern problems w tarmac ins n out at the bend, and ground stops in dtw. Planned almost 5 or 6 hours to change from delta dom to atn in lax, but ended up w just short of an hour. Ran thru w bags, and atn staff checked in asap, then used badge to get us thru security. Holy Cow! Luckily had days in moorea, but missing those would have been costly heartbreak.

Saw you at IC afterwards too. Now I wish I said hi. I love this review! I love that you appreciate your luck and planning and maxing out activities. Good job!

That is what happened with us with the flights.... most of the time was made up by making the Chicago flight and we were only one hour late into LA. Gotta love the increasing number of delayed flights though. :/

I loved Moorea as well but Bora Bora was truly magical for me. More on that before too long. Glad you are enjoying the review and keep following up for the rest of the segments. :)

July 14th: Tahiti (Ia Orana Tahiti)

Taxis are plentiful and can be flagged down right outside the airport. The ride to IC is around 2000 francs + 100 francs per bag ($20 and $1 per bag).

We checked in at around 7:30am and were given a key to one of their transit rooms. I don't remember actually making it down to the pool deck though before the room was ready. We dropped off our luggage in the room around 8am

Thank you for this,Brandon. I booked the hotel through IHG since I am a member. I am worried about getting a room that early in the morning. Since you went on Air France and took a taxi I assume you did not book the room through PG either. How did this work?

Thanks!

Susan

July 14th: Tahiti (Ia Orana Tahiti)

Taxis are plentiful and can be flagged down right outside the airport. The ride to IC is around 2000 francs + 100 francs per bag ($20 and $1 per bag).

We checked in at around 7:30am and were given a key to one of their transit rooms. I don't remember actually making it down to the pool deck though before the room was ready. We dropped off our luggage in the room around 8am

Thank you for this,Brandon. I booked the hotel through IHG since I am a member. I am worried about getting a room that early in the morning. Since you went on Air France and took a taxi I assume you did not book the room through PG either. How did this work?

Thanks!

Susan

Flying Air France is pretty painless. They give you a pillow and blanket. Entertainment and food is good and alcohol is included. The eight hours should pass quickly. Airport customs took maybe ten minutes for us that early in the morning. After that it is just collect your luggage and walk out and flag down a taxi. They were just waiting outside the airport and we were off almost instantly to the resort. You make your own arrangements to the ship but concierge will set that all up for you. It is possible to board before 3pm (we were on by about 2:30pm...) but only if you have your own transportation so advantage independent bookings there for not having to deal with the bus crowds.

As far as getting the IC room right when you arrive, platinum status will definitely help. It is a complete crapshoot though. We got it early when we first arrived but had to wait until 3pm when returning from the ship.

On the way back, they are going to give you the boot at 10am so no lunch for independent folks on the last day unfortunately. My scratch marks from when they dragged my out kicking and screaming are probably still there. haha Taxis can be reserved at concierge prior to disembarking for $15. Then it is as simple as swipe your card out, collect luggage, and walk to taxi.

Hopefully this is helpful. More review segments to come soon.

Thanks so much, very helpful indeed! We did purchase the IC day room upon departure so I don't think they will kick us off that early.

Now my only concern is getting back to BoraBora from Raro in time for our excursion! Not much we can do about that!

Susan and Joe

Thanks so much, very helpful indeed! We did purchase the IC day room upon departure so I don't think they will kick us off that early.

Now my only concern is getting back to BoraBora from Raro in time for our excursion! Not much we can do about that!

Susan and Joe

They switched the Rarotonga and Aitutaki days following our cruise so that the return is shorter but just be prepared that it is against the currents on the way back from cooks. It's a pay your dues day for getting to see Aitutaki and hope you don't lose Bora Bora time.

They switched the Rarotonga and Aitutaki days following our cruise so that the return is shorter but just be prepared that it is against the currents on the way back from cooks. It's a pay your dues day for getting to see Aitutaki and hope you don't lose Bora Bora time.

You are mistaken in this. The days were switched on the Reunion Cruise because the Port Trust of Aitutaki will not let a ship dock there on a Sunday. It was nothing to do with the currents or shorter distance. This was done over 6 months before and I had brought this to the attention of PG management over 12 months before.

You were on the standard Cook Island itinerary now around since the ship's inception and the ship usually makes Bora Bora on time. You were just unlucky with both the engine failure and rough weather.

We're taking this itinerary in 2018 so I'm loving reading this thread. We are planning on taking Air France to ppt from Atl and are wondering about the seats. Prices are about $2000 more for 1st class than for premium Econ. I really don't want to spend that so I am wondering about the seats and comfort. We fly to Europe about every year so have no problem with the overnight flight. But we did Bangkok last fall and it about killed us. The seats were awful. So any info about AF would be great. Thanks!

We're taking this itinerary in 2018 so I'm loving reading this thread. We are planning on taking Air France to ppt from Atl and are wondering about the seats. Prices are about $2000 more for 1st class than for premium Econ. I really don't want to spend that so I am wondering about the seats and comfort. We fly to Europe about every year so have no problem with the overnight flight. But we did Bangkok last fall and it about killed us. The seats were awful. So any info about AF would be great. Thanks!

We flew AF business and it was very comfortable and flat bed. On our return we came back Economy and paid the additional for exit row. This was comfortable too. The premium economy on AF is not that well rated refer to reviews of the product.

We flew AF business and it was very comfortable and flat bed. On our return we came back Economy and paid the additional for exit row. This was comfortable too. The premium economy on AF is not that well rated refer to reviews of the product.

Thanks!

I thought that Air France was pleasant even in economy. Use the blanket they give you for a seat cushion and the pillow on the headrest and you should be fine. There are better ways to spend that $2000 once you get there... more memorable than an airplane seat anyways. If all else fails, drinks are included on this flight in all classes so just have at it. :')

I am getting the rest of my presentations on dropbox right now which makes my computer a little more laggy to use. The daily reviews will resume once it finishes.

I thought that Air France was pleasant even in economy. Use the blanket they give you for a seat cushion and the pillow on the headrest and you should be fine. There are better ways to spend that $2000 once you get there... more memorable than an airplane seat anyways. If all else fails, drinks are included on this flight in all classes so just have at it. :')

I am getting the rest of my presentations on dropbox right now which makes my computer a little more laggy to use. The daily reviews will resume once it finishes.

Thanks! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

Random question: Did you notice if the PG stocks any energy drinks like Red Bull or Monster or something like that? And also if they had it in a diet/zero calorie version?

It is generally ask and you shall receive on this ship. Even if they don't have Red Bull immediately, if you express to them you want some, then I would bet you would see some cans show up before too long. At breakfast they would have my order placed before I even sat down by day three or so. Service really is their specialty.

We are off and running again with the review segments.

July 21st: Bora Bora (Island of Dreams)

6am chimed in and it was time for La Palette. It was the usual latte and then Le Grill pancake breakfast. We spent the morning by the pool. The captain came on and said that we would be arriving in Bora Bora at 1pm (five hours after our scheduled time) which is still a terrible delay that relay affected our day here. There was a seed bracelet craft activity in La Palette this morning which we went to for a little bit as well. Lunch was served at noon although we ordered room service at 11am to be out ahead of the fiasco of everyone getting ready to go ashore. We don't usually use room service but the salmon and chocolate truffle that I had was amazing. At noon both Bora Bora and the mountain of Maupiti became visible. Sailing into Bora Bora was quite spectacular as there was line of downpour showers about 5 miles offshore that added dramatic effect with the shadow of Mt. Otemanu. It took only a few minutes to get through the showers (and much longer for my shirt to dry as I refused to leave the sun deck for the arrival even in the downpour) before the island was as clear as day with perfect sunshine. It is because of this I chose the song "Another Rainbow" for the slideshow. Arrival was prompt at 1pm, customs began at 1:30, and the first tender was at 2pm. We went ashore and began our shopping in Vaitape before our sunset cruise tour which was supposed to be at 4pm. There are a lot of shops here along with a very photographed church. At 4pm we gathered at the dock with a few others and our tour guide when it started to pour. He cancelled the tour on the spot when the showers cleared for a spectacular sunset probably fifteen minutes later. I hate to be the negative here but that immediate call was ridiculousand I would recommend anyone considering this tour that is not 100% set on it to forget about it and find something else because it gives the impression of being rather unreliable. We went back to the ship briefly and ran into people saying they just came back from the motu which I was previously told at the desk that there were no motu tenders this day because of the delay. The worry about getting us on the remaining resort tour, poor call on sunset tour, mis-information about motu tenders... at least this is where it turns around (more on that in a minute).

We decided to go to Bloody Mary's for a drink. This is a must see whether you go for dinner or drinks. They run a half-price happy hour which I believe is 5-7pm and you can get a glass of wine for just a few bucks during this time. It is $5 per person per ride to get there. This can definitely be one of your cheapest South Pacific thrills. Be sure to get pictures from there pier as it is a great view of their mountain. We had dinner at Le Grill right before they closed. This is the best night for Le Grill as they will often set up tables right on the pool deck. We were too late returning to take advantage of this but others we talked to did on this evening. I ordered coconut shrimp, crab cake, steak, scallops, and chocolate fondant. The menu here is fantastic in my opinion.

I previously said that we only had two tickets for the Thalasso tour tomorrow and at this point that was still the case. We went to the concierge desk one more time and we were given an envelope for a third ticket for the next day. That was close! We found out that it was because of our platinum status with the IHG credit card. They also made arrangements for us to get to see the motu before the 11am resort tour tomorrow. I really appreciated the effort of the staff once they knew how important this island was to us to make the next day truly something special.

Tip: The IHG credit card is imperative for this trip.

The crew show is at 10pm and is very worth the time. It is a coin-toss call if you are here during Heiva though. I thought the ping pong act was the best. We went to watch a little of the Heiva festival since the last tender was not until midnight this night.

Tip (July cruisers especially): The only tender back to the ship that should matter to you is the last one. The Heiva Festival here is PHENOMENAL and is performed in an arena that is less than a minute from the tender. Entry is $5 if you want a seat to this but you can easily watch from the side for free if you don't mind standing. Do not miss it. In fact, make it a point to take a July cruise at some point just to get the Heiva experience... it really adds a lot.

Slideshow to follow and then the review of the signature day of this trip.

July 21st: Bora Bora (Island of Dreams):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qazm1awxp1phgih/July%2021st%20Bora%20Bora%20%28Island%20of%20Dreams%29.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mat8srqyx9...ge%29.mp4?dl=0

July 22nd: Bora Bora (Heaven On Earth)

This day was perfection. Any one moment of this day makes the four year battle to make this trip happen worth all the while. The day began with La Palette which was extra spectacular with the Mt. Otemanu view and the sun rising over it. The tour desk made special arrangements for us to see the motu before the 11am resort tour. After breakfast we boarded the 9:15am setup tender and rode over to enjoy the motu for over an hour all by ourselves. The ride over is very scenic and the opportunity to take photos with no one in them at the motu was precious. We even got a photo of the crew carrying supplies similar to the one that PG posts on the website from time to time. The water was crystal clear with a perfect view of Mt. Otemanu. I wrote "Bora Boa Motu 2017" in the sandbar facing the mountain which apparently stayed there all day and was photographed by others even in the afternoon. This place is primitive and picture perfect south pacific heaven. At 10:40 the tender returned with tons of people and it was time for us to head back. We got to the ship just before 11am and our tour tender was already there. This was wild but we had to cross over from the motu tender to the regular tender into town. What an adventure... I love it! 11am we were off to Vaitape. From Vaitape, we had to take a van to the Le Moana resort on the other side of the island. We took a few pictures while we waited.

Next, was a third transfer by boat from Le Moana to InterContinental at 11:45. Have I mentioned that the adventure of this day was incredible? This boat ride is a thrill in itself going around the mountain past hundreds of overwater bungalows. At noon, we have arrived and the horn sounds. We our given our passes and walked to the pool and the time was ours to explore for five hours. We walked to the end of the resort to get photos of a sheltered lagoon area with a well-photographed chapel (which unfortunately was locked but oh well). We got a photo of the tennis court for laughs since I play tennis. Then we walked to the reef side of the resort. This trail along the ocean would be awesome if are lucky enough to have more than one day here. We walked along the bungalows and got plenty of photos and videos along the way. There is a brand new large bungalow all the way at the end with a sign in front of it. It was not stopping anyone from getting to the last observation platform as a corner was already bent backwards.

We went back to the pool restaurant, Sands. Lunch includes an appetizer and main course or main course and desert.

Tip: You can order anything here. Your only restriction is two courses.

We all ordered surf and turf and I ordered a triple chocolate mousse dessert. The food was delicious here.

After lunch we went to the gift shop and I bought a Thalasso golf shirt. It is my most coveted souvenir from the trip.

We then went kayaking which is also included. I would say this is the place to kayak... or more like paddle out a little ways and sit and watch the mountain and bungalows.

After swimming and kayaking we took another walk along the bungalow path and discovered a sacred ground with some statues on the way back. We did one more round of swimming and kayaking before having to tear ourselves away at 4:50pm to catch the boat. The sun was starting to set to make for good pictures at the pier. At 5pm, we were off. We got back to Le Moana by 5:15 to be greeted by a rainbow over the bungalows. We got to Vaitape just in time for the 6 tender. 6pm really is a special time here on these islands with the sunset. This tender moves over to the other side of the ship and stops for a prime view of the sunset, rainbow, and mountain. YES! Nice touch PG! Other cruisers on deck were waving to us on the tender while this was happening. This was amazing. Once that finished we headed around to board the ship. We had dinner in Le Etoile and I ordered a crab cake, melon soup, caesar salad, and some spaghetti to mix up the constant seafood. We put a rush on dinner to get back out to see the Heiva festival... my Dad was not thrilled about this as he would rather eat than go to shows. He went back to the room while we went down to board the 9pm tender. We got to watch about 45 minutes of the Heiva festival before being dragged back on the last tender. Santa Rosa was playing a late set tonight and everyone was up on deck for the Sail away. As soon as the ship started moving they sang "Mauruuru A Vau" which I recorded for my slide show. This was a nice touch although sad because it may be many years before I see Bora Bora again. The stars while in port in French Polynesia are awesome. Much more than anything I have seen here in the states.

The day comes to an end jotting down all the notes at midnight in the piano bar with good ole barternder Rey.

Slideshow up next and then Taha'a review

PS: A huge thank you to paulmichael and the Paul Gauguin Crew for making these arrangements possible! This was the best day ever!

Edited by Notion_of_the_Ocean

New Slide Show:

July 21st: Bora Bora (Heaven On Earth)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpl3wbmorube0z3/July%2022nd%3A%20Bora%20Bora%20%28Heaven%20On%20Earth%29.mp4?dl=0

Previously Posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mat8srqyx9...ge%29.mp4?dl=0

July 21st: Bora Bora (Island of Dreams):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qazm1awxp1...ms%29.mp4?dl=0