Daytime Attire on QM2

Sailing Sara AK

I'll keep your secret, but I'm fairly certain that there are fashionable cargo pants and Capri pants for women, in addition to other accoutrements which allows women to carry their own ID and cell phone.:cool:

Not without creating unsightly bulges in them.

Not without creating unsightly bulges in them.

The issue of pockets (or lack thereof) in women's clothing is interesting:

"...historically, women have always been deprived of pockets. And the reason why is disturbing.

In a piece on Racked, journalist Chelsea Summers puts it most simply when she writes, "the less women could carry, the less freedom they had..." quoted from https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/the-disturbing-reason-womens-clothing-historically-never-had-pockets/ar-AAopCOf

Bulges vs freedom. :eek:

"...historically, women have always been deprived of pockets. And the reason why is disturbing.

In a piece on Racked, journalist Chelsea Summers puts it most simply when she writes, "the less women could carry, the less freedom they had..." quoted from https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/the-disturbing-reason-womens-clothing-historically-never-had-pockets/ar-AAopCOf

Makes sense. I learned women's clothing doesn't have pockets from The Office (US) - it was one of the ways the rest of the staff knew that Michael Scott had accidentally purchase a women's suit.

Golly, that's a new one for me.

Naively, I always thought, 'the gentleman always pays, so why carry cash', but then after a visit to the V&A London [marvellous museum], I learnt more about clothing of the past.

Ladies used to have pouches, often tied around the waist with strings, underneath their top dress and accessible through small slits in the dresses.

When these pouches [pockets] became unfashionable, firstly through the actions of pick-pockets [ the phrase 'cutting the purse strings' is often deemed to have sprung from these actions] and more visibly, the change in fashion to more slimline dresses, the fashionable lady started using a reticule so the line of their dresses wouldn't be spoilt by 'the bulge'. I suppose the reticule was the forerunner to the handbag/purse of today.

Back to the opening question, although some may disagree with me here, a point to bear in mind is the ship won't be cold as you wander around inside.