ms Amsterdam & ms Volendam in Juneau August 4, 2017

Scrapnana

I'm assuming the red line just above "Dixon Entrance" is the US border. Did I think wrong? I'm wondering about the space between there and Twin Island which appears to be about halfway to Ketchikan. US pilot, Canadian pilot or none?

And Volendam is tucked behind the Amsterdam.

Thanks Kathi, Lou & Dave, Copper, and fellow addicts.

Roy

There's actually a long standing border dispute between our Canadian friends and us (the governments, that is) re: where that border is actually situated. ;) No pilot there until Pt McCartey

300px-Locmap-QCS-Hecate-Dixon.png

The so-called "A–B" line (approximately 54' 40' N), which marks the northern boundary of the Dixon Entrance, was delineated by a court of arbitration set up by the 1903 Alaska Boundary Treaty. The meaning of the line remains in dispute between Canada and the United States. Canada claims the line is the international maritime boundary, while the United States holds that its purpose was only to designate the land masses belonging to each country. Hence, the U.S. does not recognize the "A–B" line as an official boundary (to govern, for example, seafloor resources or fishing rights). In 1977 the U.S. defined a maritime boundary as an equidistant line between land masses.

Ah, yes. That long standing fishing/border dispute. On my first HAL cruise (SS Rotterdam 1997) I was on a flight seeing excursion out of Sitka. We had a Beaver and the pilot said something like "The Canadians make great airplanes; I just they wouldn't pick on innocent ferry boats", referring to an incident a few years ago where Prince Rupert fishermen blockaded the Prince Rupert AMHS terminal over a fishing rights despute.

Roy