New to Princess.....Grand or Star?

guttermandave

i have cruised many times on carnival, norwegian, rccl...and now want to try princess....strictly based on the ships, not itinerary, which would you choose,grand or star... and why? i noticed the star doesn't have the muts.....is it (muts) really worth it? i noticed travelocity is offering $100 onboard credit for this cruise...anyone ever used travelocity?

I would go with the Star. The Grand was the first Grand class ship and they noticed some design flaws that were corrected on later ships.... Though you are right, the Grand has MUTS and the Star doesn't. For me, I am not into movies while I am at the pool or reading at the pool - so this would be a plus for me - for others, they would choose a ship with MUTS over a ship with out MUTS.

I have never been on the Grand but have recently done the Star. Right now, my feeling are I would not cruise on the Star again unless I start to hear some more positive things about service. We had, overall, moderate service on the Star and that's being quite generous.

If the sailing you are looking at is a year down the road, then things may be different by then. The ship itself is wonderful although no MUTS. Lots to do and we found it pretty well laid out. We just had service issues.

Hope this helps.

I have never been on the Grand but have recently done the Star. Right now, my feeling are I would not cruise on the Star again unless I start to hear some more positive things about service. We had, overall, moderate service on the Star and that's being quite generous.

4-5 months from now - there will probably be a 50% change in the crew.

I had some great times on Grand Princess, but I too am not enamored with MUTS – so I’d choose Star Princess. Really, both ships are pretty much the same – there are only the minor design changes and MUTS to make them different. Star Princess does have the better atrium.

Within the last 3 years, we have sailed these Grand class ships: Grand twice, Star once, Golden once, and Sapphire once. We have Star booked for January.

It's really a toss up, but Golden was my favorite, based on service, but that changes based on crew and now her sailing out of San Juan is a negative for us.

Grand was our first and we liked that cruise so much we sailed on her again 4 months later.

Sapphire was the most recent and she was fine but not notably better than any of the others.

Star was the cruise a year ago and good enough for us to book again for January. We book based on availibility of cabin E728/E729 to fit our schedule.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

Judy

We are on the Grand now and were on it last October. The ship is pretty good, but is beginning to show some wear---just like all ships do. It is my understanding that it will be going into Dry Dock between October 19th and November 1st. We had orginally booked a B2B with Transatlantic in Oct 2006, but it was cancelled by Princess and now the two cruises are Oct 7th and Nov 1st. There will be a two week period in between the two cruises when the ship will be somewhere. Was told by a member of the ship's staff that Dry Dock is where it is heading.

Archived