RCI pricing

I just received an all-lines promotional booklet from my on-line cruise provider and the differentials between the pricing in the RCI section and other lines for the same cruise is really eye-popping. Some examples for 7 day cruises, blurbed as "from"

East Car West Car

Carib. Princess (inside ?) from 599 599

Voyager (outside) 899 899

Radiance (outside) 949 949

Freedom (outside) 1549

MSC (inside) 495 495

HAL (outside, Mex Riv) 649

Vision (outside, Mex Riv) 749

Sapph Princ (Alaska 1-way) (inside ?) 849

Diam Prin (Alaska 1-way) (inside ?) 949

Radiance (Alaska 1-way) outside 1249

There were other examples that were not quite close fits. This illustrates the fact that RCI has become the premium line, in terms of price points, for most of the mainstream cruise business. This is all in one catalog from one provider which has dozens of local (franchised?) agents all over the US.

Carnival and Costa were even lower for their newer ships but I left them out.

I guess RCI markets like crazy (all those shows on the Travel channel which the CCs watch constantly), the Iggy Pop commercials, the innovative concepts, etc. must work for them.

As the generic statement goes "Whatever floats your boat" (always wanted to use that hear on the cruising board !!!) :cool:

While many may dispute this, if they fill up the ships at these prices, there has to be a reason. Many may not agree, but we feel the quality is better on RCl than some other mass popular lines. Being a shareholder I say more power to RCL to garner a higher price.

The Big Bopper: This illustrates the fact that RCI has become the premium line, in terms of price points, for most of the mainstream cruise business.

I agree about RCI trying to price themselves as a premium line. IMHO, however, (in my admitedly limited experience) they don't come close to delivering a product that justifies a premium price.

RCI might be running into customer resistance with their high pricing. I just now checked an online travel website for the holiday sailing of the Serenade. The brochure prices are extremely high and there is some discounting but there are around 40-50 cabins unsold which is a lot for a Christmas cruise, which used to sell out months before. Sailing out of San Juan doesn't help as airfare is also sky high. Even Jet Blue.

Insides run 1250-1350, Outsides 1500-1700, Balconies 1700-2000, JS 4300 and Grand Suite 6200. This is for a 7 nighter going south and skipping St Thomas because of Christmas day. Rates are per person.

I know the crowd here prefers bigger cabins. Until DW retired from the schools this past June, the only winter trip we could take was Christmas week with the high prices which is why we usually took inside cabins.

RCI and Celebrity's "no discounting" policy is perhaps not working .. even though they are offering some "perks" to offset that IMHO their rates are higher than they should be.. That being said we got very good rates for the CC group next Dec. 3 on the Explorer ..lower than individual rates and at least now on par with Princess etc. So they are at least remaining competitive in the groups department...

RCI's new no discounting policy is the reason we are trying Princess this year. The Rhapsody out of Galveston, a smaller ship, was at 899pp PLUS :eek:for a balcony when I booked last year on the Grand Princess ... a savings of $300pp for us. :D I will probably book for next year while onboard since the situation looks quite similar for next year. The market will bear what the market will pay... and I for one will always compare price & value.

Archived