Delay in Processing Expedited (and regular) Passport Applications

Steelers0854

First, my prayers and well wishes go out to those effected by Harvey.

I came across this article and wanted to make sure I share it. I know a lot of people choose this option when close in to a cruise or international travel. It looks like the Miami office has been closed for months due to a flood. They have been sending their applications to Houston for processing. Now that the Houston center is closed all of those regular and expedited passports can be delayed.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/passport-delays-due-to-flooding/

We submitted my husbands passport 3 weeks ago - we got it back in 2.5 weeks. The site said "6-8 weeks".

I don't think it's as bad as they let on.

I think you missed the point. The Houston office is closed as of this weekend and the impact to processing applications wouldn't have begun until then, 3 weeks ago the office was still open.

I think you missed the point. The Houston office is closed as of this weekend and the impact to processing applications wouldn't have begun until then, 3 weeks ago the office was still open.

Neither the Houston nor Miami offices are involved with renewal by mail of passports.

People here have been generally report prompt process during renewal by mail.

The people who are screwed are those who have to travel on very short notice, and need a passport.

Neither the Houston nor Miami offices are involved with renewal by mail of passports.

People here have been generally report prompt process during renewal by mail.

The people who are screwed are those who have to travel on very short notice, and need a passport.

Looking at the article again, then maybe it's just impacting most, the people that apply in person in Miami since those applications were sent to Houston?

The Miami Agency was only closed a couple weeks before relocating.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/miami.html

All assumptions in this thread are based on an obviously unreliable secondary source. It is far too early to assess the impact of the (so far temporary) closure of the Houston Agency.