Escape AFT Balcony Handicapped Cabin Questions

kbalthaser66

Hello, we will be sailing on the Escape shortly and we have a handicapped AFT balcony cabin booked. Can anyone tell me if the cabin has a couch in it like all other balcony cabins or is there something different in the handicapped rooms?

We will be staying on the 14th floor and I was wondering if anyone has pictures of both the inside of the cabin as well as the balcony. I have heard that these AFT balconies are much larger than the standard balconies.

Thank you.

The basic difference between the accessible cabins and regular cabins is that there is much more floor space and less furniture as you can see from the photos and video posted above. Also, notice on the video there is NO storage (shelves and/or cabinets) in an accessible bathroom on the Escape or any "Away" class ship (Jewel class ships have 2 small shelves.) So, I always bring a hanging door storage thingy for toiletries, etc. The idea in general is to remove all "obstacles" for a wheelchair user. Not sure if you are disabled or were just assigned this cabin by NCL, but other nice accessible features are an automatic door (to the cabin but not to the balcony), a doorbell (flashes the lights in addition to the ringing sound), and emergency pull cords in both the bathroom and over the bed. The ship Access Officer is also available to assist you with any other accommodations you may need. Overall, the ship itself is also very, very accessible!

Have a great cruise! :)

The basic difference between the accessible cabins and regular cabins is that there is much more floor space and less furniture as you can see from the photos and video posted above. Also, notice on the video there is NO storage (shelves and/or cabinets) in an accessible bathroom on the Escape or any "Away" class ship (Jewel class ships have 2 small shelves.) So, I always bring a hanging door storage thingy for toiletries, etc. The idea in general is to remove all "obstacles" for a wheelchair user. Not sure if you are disabled or were just assigned this cabin by NCL, but other nice accessible features are an automatic door (to the cabin but not to the balcony), a doorbell (flashes the lights in addition to the ringing sound), and emergency pull cords in both the bathroom and over the bed. The ship Access Officer is also available to assist you with any other accommodations you may need. Overall, the ship itself is also very, very accessible!

Have a great cruise! :)

Our accessible cabin on the Jade did not have an automatic door. Maybe because it was an Inside Cabin? Nor did it have a doorbell.

Also instead of a pullcord over the bed it had a special Help button on the phone. The phone was on nightstand next to bed.

Our accessible cabin on the Jade did not have an automatic door. Maybe because it was an Inside Cabin? Nor did it have a doorbell.

Also instead of a pullcord over the bed it had a special Help button on the phone. The phone was on nightstand next to bed.

Automatic doors, etc. on the Escape and all Away class only :) Jewel-class ships not only don't have automatic doors, I once sailed in an accessible inside on the Gem that was so small I couldn't store my scooter inside (had to call Guest Services every time I needed it - they stored it in the crew area somewhere.)

But no problems at all on the Escape and the Aways. As I mentioned above, they have awesome accessibility features.

Like the others above said, the room lacks a sofa, but the balcony is large enough for 2 chairs, 2 loungers, and a table. I was assigned the 9th floor version on the Escape and my only issue was with the automatic door. Make sure your balcony door is kept closed if you are expecting anyone else to come in! The automatic door timing is quite long (understandably, of course) and of course the wind tunnel created is pretty severe.

Also, be aware if you are coming in/out when the other person is sleeping or changing, you are putting on a 1 min 30 second show to the whole hallway - the door being open does display the whole room.

Hello, we will be sailing on the Escape shortly and we have a handicapped AFT balcony cabin booked. Can anyone tell me if the cabin has a couch in it like all other balcony cabins or is there something different in the handicapped rooms?

We will be staying on the 14th floor and I was wondering if anyone has pictures of both the inside of the cabin as well as the balcony. I have heard that these AFT balconies are much larger than the standard balconies.

Thank you.

There is a photo and diagram of Escape 14906 on ICruise.com. The cabin has a sofa, and a large area for a scooter.

There is a photo and diagram of Escape 14906 on ICruise.com. The cabin has a sofa, and a large area for a scooter.

Can you please point out specifically where you saw a photo of this particular cabin? I have sailed in several of the 6 Escape accessible aft balcony cabins (12912, 11918 & 9924) and there is no couch in those, just a chair. There isn't even a couch in the 2 accessible aft mini-suites on Deck 10. :(

I sail in aft balconies frequently and if there is actually a couch in 14906 I will try to book that cabin in the future!

Thank you so much for all the replies. If anyone has an actual picture of cabin 14906 I would love to see it if you don't mind posting it here.

From my experience sailing in 3 of the 6 accessible aft balconies on the Escape, they all look identical to the photo of 12912 posted earlier in the thread. The ONLY difference is in the size of the balcony, which differs based on the deck (from deepest to shallowest: 9, 12, 15, 11, 14, 10, 13). The 3 cabins I have sailed in only have a maxiumum capacity of 2 - specifically because there is no couch to accommodate another passenger to sleep (the chair doesn't "pull out"). So, one thing you could do to be sure about the couch/no couch is to call NCL and verify the capacity of your cabin. If it sleeps 3 (or 4) - you'd definitely have a couch! If it's only 2, then there will definitely be no couch. Hope this helps! (I'm particularly interested because if there is a couch in that cabin it is a unicorn and I will definitely book it going forward! :D)

Like the others above said, the room lacks a sofa, but the balcony is large enough for 2 chairs, 2 loungers, and a table. I was assigned the 9th floor version on the Escape and my only issue was with the automatic door. Make sure your balcony door is kept closed if you are expecting anyone else to come in! The automatic door timing is quite long (understandably, of course) and of course the wind tunnel created is pretty severe.

Also, be aware if you are coming in/out when the other person is sleeping or changing, you are putting on a 1 min 30 second show to the whole hallway - the door being open does display the whole room.

The delay of the door is so true. I had to knock on the door first and give good warning to my spouse who had stayed behind! The first time, I caught him dressing after a shower and it was lucky no one had been walking by!:D

The delay of the door is so true.

And don't try to be "smart" and interfere with the slow moving door by manually pushing it to "speed it up" or you will PAY for that because once you've push it closed (not easy lol) it will just REOPEN again and go through the whole cycle! :D Don't ask me how I know this! ;)

We missed the couch. I brought one of the cars from outside to have somewhere to sit other than the bed. Oh!!! bring your earplugs if you go to bed before 1:00 A.M. , a couple days the parties on spice up above are loud and I could fee the vibration from the base. I love aft but doing a side cabin next time due to the spice parties

And don't try to be "smart" and interfere with the slow moving door by manually pushing it to "speed it up" or you will PAY for that because once you've push it closed (not easy lol) it will just REOPEN again and go through the whole cycle! :D Don't ask me how I know this! ;)

Guilty! 😂

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

YES! The door takes a little getting used to. I missed the couch! I had to bring a chair from out on the balcony to sit on . I did not want to sit on the bed with dirty clothes you have been out all day in. Also , bring your earplugs if you retire earlier than 1:00 A.M., a couple nights Spice upstairs base is so loud it shook the room. I have a cruise booked in December and took a side balcony.