Navigator Of The Seas Review 19th August Till 25th August

IrishComet

Before I start, This is my review, my thoughts and all my opinion.

Travelling Party Me, My wife & 2 Daughters. A friend and her son.

Have previously cruised. First Cruise

The Itinerary Saturday Southampton (Embark)

Sunday Le Havre

Monday At Sea

Tuesday Bilbao

Wednesday Gijon

Thursday At Sea

Friday Southampton (Disembark

Captain Kjell Nordmo

Cruise Director Cuddy Cudworth

Pre Cruise Friday August 18th 20017

We live in Dublin, Ireland, so we decided to do a non fly cruise.

Alarm went off at 04.30am, but that’s ok, We are going on holiday’s. Car loaded with way too much luggage, But who cares, No luggage restrictions. Left home at 05.15 to drive the 90 minutes to Rosslare.

Stopped for fuel and coffee and Arrived in Rosslare at about 7am. Check in was a breeze and we were driving onboard the luxurious 36 year old Stena Europe Car Ferry. We left at 8am, and after a pleasant crossing (Even saw Dolphins) we arrived in Fishguard, Wales at 11.15 am. Then the fun began, a 4 hour 15 minute drive turned into a 7 hour drive, Due to Heavy Traffic and the rain cloud that was somehow, I think attached to my car. We did stop off twice for a break (Smoke) and eventually arrived in Southampton at approx 7pm, 3 hours later than planned, Which in hindsight was a blessing in disguise, as the West Quay Shopping Centre closed at 8pm (There is a god).

We had booked the Holiday inn beside the port purely for it’s location. Close to the Shopping Centre

(Girls like to shop) and that the next morning you will see the ship from your room, if you are at the back of the hotel.

Check in was quick, and we were given 3 free drink of our choice vouchers (nice touch). Dropped our luggage up to the rooms and made the short 5 min walk to the Shopping Centre for about 30 minutes of shopping ( I swear I didn’t plan it).

Right! Shopping over (For tonight, Noooooooo) It’s time to eat, so after consulting with the others, it was decided to go to TGI Friday’s (Yesss Burger and beer) but alas we hadn’t booked , which surprised me as it was quiet, so we ended up eating in an Italian, Cant remember the name, but it was ok.

Boarding Day Saturday 19th August 2017

I awoke at 06.22am, Looked out my window at the front of the hotel and saw Ships, not just any ships, but great big Cruise ships. But alas I didn’t see mine, The Navigator, Why, Where is she, she should be docked now. Wait, my room is at the front, I quickly get dressed and go in search of the Navigator. I Take the lift down from floor 6 to ground (hurry up, I have a ship to find). Finally the door opens, I rush past reception, out the front door, Where is she, Damn, I’m still at the front, I go around the side of the hotel, and there she is, the beautiful Navigator of The Seas (Phew)

I can now relax. Time to wake the other’s (They were already awake and were wondering where their crazy husband and father was gone)

So after breakfast, we head off for that 5 min walk back to that place, Oh no they have spotted JD Sports, I say it’s not open yet, We’ll wait. It opens at 9am, 30 more minutes of pain and were off for more penance for me, The dreaded shopping centre. It wasn’t all bad, I did sneak a donut and espresso. (Happy me). We left there at about 10.45, and as we walked back to the hotel, that rain cloud from yesterday decided to say hello, and it was torrential for a bit. We checked out, loaded up the car and drove the 200 metres to the port. We were directed to a parking spot, porters came and took our luggage, and we walked to the terminal to check in. We went through the usual security checks. There was a very small queue for check in, but as we were in a suite, we took that line and went straight up to the counter (Friend as well, She was in a PR Room). 5 Minutes later, all checked in, Sea pass in Hand, and it’s only 11.15am and we can Board. We start that joyful walk along the gang way, everybody smiling ( That’s the port staff and crew) our friend and her son, not knowing what to expect. They check our sea pass and then we are walking on the ship on deck 4. They scan my card, and that sound we love to hear on boarding day (Ping) and he says welcome back.

Right, Let’s Go onboard The Navigator of the Seas

Boarding Day Saturday 19th August 2017 (Continued)

The first thing we do when we board is go straight to the windjammer on deck 11.No problem finding a table for 6. After eating, the kids went to sample the self serve ice cream. I went to sample the smoking area on deck 11. We just wandered around till 1pm, When our rooms were ready. Our friend and her son were in a promenade room on deck 6. We had 2 Junior suites on deck 10, 2 rooms away from each other. (You may ask why we didn’t book inter connecting rooms, The simple answer is £1560, cheaper to book 2 suite Guarantee rooms)

4pm was Assembly drill in Sapphire dining room on deck 4. Once finished, we headed up to deck 11 to meet up with our friend for sail away. At 4.30pm, Captain Kjell, Found his key’s and we were off. The sun had come out, and the rain cloud that was attached to me had disappeared. We had a nice sail away from Southampton, sipping the compulsory pina coloda. A few beers later and it was time to get ready for our 1st night aboard.

We were dining in the Sapphire dining room on deck 4 for the second seating at 8.30pm. Before dinner we went to the welcome aboard show starring Josh Daniels (Comedian), who I enjoyed. Then we had dinner, which we enjoyed, Can’t remember what I eat.

Then as we were all tired, I grabbed a beer from a bar and sat out on the balcony for a while, then off to sleep.

Step Count for today is 22186

Le Havre (Paris, Really) Sunday 20th August 2017

We arrived at 7am, and were docked on the starboard side. I woke at about 7.30 and went to café promenade for a coffee and then outside for a smoke, chatted with some fellow smokers. The weather was warm and pleasant. The others were already awake when I brought coffee to my wife (I’m such a nice husband). We met our friend in the windjammer for breakfast and then got off the ship. Now Le Havre is very much an industrial port, it does have a terminal building with a small shop, and a tourist counter, that sell’s the shuttle bus tickets at a cost of €4 per person. It took about 20 minutes on the bus into the town centre. My goal for the day was to find a shop to buy some Cigarettes. Easy, You would think, Not in Le Havre on a Sunday. Most shops in France close on Sunday’s. After a few hours wandering about, we decided to head back to the ship, so the others could enjoy a half empty ship, as we expected most people to have got off. Wrong, Very few people got off, and if they did, there was no much to do, unless you went further afield. Anyway after a short wait, the shuttle bus arrived, and we got back to the ship. We went up to the windjammer, expecting it to be quiet, it was manic. Only 1 pool was open outside, as the ship thought most people would be ashore. After a bit of chilling out, it was time for the rockwall, I signed the waiver for the kids, and went around to the diamond lounge as I would get better photos from there. No bell ringing this time. Then it was off to have a pre getting ready for tonight drink.

Dinner was again in the dining room. We departed at 9pm and sometime after that I went outside for a smoke on deck 4 just as the local pilot was been picked up, It was cool to see him climb down from the ship to a smaller boat.

Tonight’s show was called Now & Forever starring the Royal Caribbean singers & dancers at 10.30pm. I think I would have been asleep if the last few songs weren’t ABBA, not because I’m a fan, because it was more lively. After that, the kids went up to the room, and we had a night cap. Then off to bed.

Step Count for today is 23509

Day 3

At Sea Monday August 21st 2017

I awoke about 8am to a strange sound, The fog horn. I went out onto the balcony and sure enough, FOG, this continued for most of the morning. The fog lifted, but it was a cloudy day, still warmish.

Tonight was formal night. We didn’t do much today, just relaxed.

The ice show was on at 2pm and 4pm.

Dinner was again in the Sapphire Dining room at 8.30pm followed by Tonight’s show which was The Bohemians, a Queen tribute act, They were ok. Before dinner, we got some photos taken in our Formal attire as we haven’t done a formal night since 2010, purely because of luggage restrictions when flying.

So that was nice to get done. I think there may have been a fault with the camera as when I compared them to previous pictures, my hair seems to have come out grey in parts, and my size seems bigger.

Also tonight was the 70’s Disco Inferno party on the royal promenade starting at 11.20pm.This is always great fun and tonight was excellent. We were just outside the two poets pub, a good viewing spot.

We got talking to some people there and stayed till closing at about 1am. An enjoyable night,

Step count for today is 17486

Day 4

Bilbao Tuesday August 22nd 2017

We arrived at 9.30am, and were docked on the portside. After my usual morning routine of coffee, smoke, I watched our arrival into port. After we had breakfast in the windjammer, we got off. We were docked at the cruise terminal, which is a nice modern building. Nothing in it apart from a Tourist information stand and a desk selling shuttle bus tickets for €12 per person. We took the bus into Bilbao, took about 30 mins. In Bilbao, we went for a walk to the Guggenheim Museum, and then went looking for Happy Pills. Now Happy Pills is a candy store, that 1 of my daughters discovered online. It wasn’t the easiest place to find, but we found it, after getting some strange looks from people I asked. (I’m surprised I wasn’t arrested)

Personally, I found Bilbao a bit confusing, but we found our way back to the shuttle bus and headed back to the ship.

As you leave the dock, there is a walkway, like a pier, that leads up to the beach and out of the port. My plan for the afternoon was to go swimming there, as it’s a nice sandy beach, how ever I was too tired from the night before and all the walking to find Happy Pill’s, but at least my daughter’s were happy.

Later on it was back to the Rockwall, No bell ringing for me, But my youngest did. (Beaten again)

As per usual dinner was in the dinning room followed by Tonight’s show The Magical Mayhem of Neil Austen, A comedy magic show you must not miss, was how it was described in the compass. Personally that was a waste of an hour. I sat through it, but a few people left.

Step count for today is 21349

Really enjoyed reading your review. Always interesting to read what others do and make of the ports that I visited multiple times.

I agree not much to do in Le Havre especially on a Sunday. Taking one of the ship's shore excursions is your best bet or enjoy the time on the ship.