where do the empty ships go during hurricanes?

oatbagg1

Slight Clarification. RCI didn't put their employees on a ship to make sure they are out of harms way. They put them all on a ship to make sure they are there and available for work the minute the port re-opens and allows ships back in. Otherwise they would have employees evacuated out of state that may not be able to get back for many days after the port is opened again. It's not done in the interest of their employee's well being. It is done in the financial interest of the company, as is every single decision they make these days.

<smh>

I'll shake my head with Merion_Mom. Not only were employees evacuated on the ship, but their families as well. This provided a means to evacuate thousands without adding to the interstate gridlock or the gasoline shortage, using an asset that already had fuel (and of a type not in short supply) that was leaving the area.

All of the rhetoric from the government about granting Jones Act waivers to get gas to Florida to help with the evacuation was just that, rhetoric, and posturing, since there is no domestic gasoline (the only cargo that the Jones Act affects) that a foreign flag ship could load and get to Florida in the 24 hours the administration was quoting. It takes 10 hours to get from say Savannah to Jacksonville with gasoline by tanker, and then it takes 24 hours to unload it, and then you have to truck it south. My company has 4-5 US flag tankers loaded with gasoline from the NYC area, waiting to see the storm track and what ports will remain open to bring this needed fuel down, but the time frame just doesn't work to help those who were trying to get out of the storm's path. Had this waiver been done days earlier, it might have helped, but again, unloading a tanker is not like filling your car, it takes time, and Florida does not have sufficient tank storage for normal conditions to build up a reserve, let alone when demand spikes.

As for getting corporate back up and running, it is actually better to have the headquarters types onboard a ship where they can access the servers in Miami (without anyone there, and as long as power is on), since all the ships are connected to the Miami servers 24/7, and most ship's business, whether POS sales of drinks, or spare part orders for the engine room are sent real time to the servers.

Slight Clarification. RCI didn't put their employees on a ship to make sure they are out of harms way. They put them all on a ship to make sure they are there and available for work the minute the port re-opens and allows ships back in. Otherwise they would have employees evacuated out of state that may not be able to get back for many days after the port is opened again. It's not done in the interest of their employee's well being. It is done in the financial interest of the company, as is every single decision they make these days.
Heard each employee could bring up to 7 additional family members. Doesn't sound like corporate greed in my book.

Heard each employee could bring up to 7 additional family members. Doesn't sound like corporate greed in my book.

Yes, because their employees aren't going to abandon their family and the space was free since it was an empty cruise ship. Yes this worked out great for the employee's, but the decision to do this was for the benefit of the company!

All the cruise lines are sending empty ships to the virgin islands to drop off relief supplies and evacuate stranded travelers. NCL is sending the Sky, RCL is sending 1 or 2 ships, Carnival is sending ships....mudt be that corporate greed again?

https://cruisefever.net/norwegian-cruise-ship-deployed-st-thomas-rescue-mission/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app