where do the empty ships go during hurricanes?

oatbagg1

When did you hear this? I am supposed to be on that charter and we haven't gotten official word. Last we heard we were moved to Tuesday 9/12 departure.

I'm glad you said that, I hope I didn't speak incorrectly. I'll check again, With all the info floating around, I hope I didn't confuse myself.

I'm glad you said that, I hope I didn't speak incorrectly. I'll check again, With all the info floating around, I hope I didn't confuse myself.
I would honestly like to know, for sure. It seems a bit crazy to me that it would be leaving on Tuesday at this point. Thought you might have the inside info. We were to fly out today and now we are waiting until Tuesday. I guess we will wait and see!!

When did you hear this? I am supposed to be on that charter and we haven't gotten official word. Last we heard we were moved to Tuesday 9/12 departure.

My apologies to you and others, it was today's cruise canceled.

Majesty of the Seas (charter cruise): September 11 Bahamas cruise

The new departure date will be Tuesday, 9/12, and we will sail a 3-night itinerary to the Bahamas. Given the unpredictability of Irma, we will advise if there are any changes to the itinerary as soon as we know. Given that this sailing is a charter, please reach out to Thirty One Gifts with questions at Events@thirtyonegifts.com.

Oddly enough on marine traffic shows Majesty's destination as PCN, which I thought might mean Port Canaveral and it just hasn't been updated, but according to their own website PCN is Port Clinton, Ohio which is only about 100 miles from me. I could go up there and spend the weekend on the ship and stay on for my 9/18 cruise!

I'm guessing they meant PCV

The destination and ETA and departure times are input by the navigation officer on the bridge, and we all know that fingers don't spell correctly all the time.

The destination and ETA and departure times are input by the navigation officer on the bridge, and we all know that fingers don't spell correctly all the time.

Port Clinton is nice this time of year, Its grandparents free weekend at Cedar Point!

I would honestly like to know, for sure. It seems a bit crazy to me that it would be leaving on Tuesday at this point. Thought you might have the inside info. We were to fly out today and now we are waiting until Tuesday. I guess we will wait and see!!

Are you familar with Marinetraffic.com ? If I were you given your schedule, I would watch where Majesty is, if she isn't on her way back to Florida by Monday, you won't be sailing on Tuesday. I don't know when the charter group will tell you or if Royal will mention any updates on their site. I'm sure I'll be back on this thread Monday.

MAjesty seems to be headed with a bunch of other ships to the gulf west of the storms path.

Question for chengkp75 please. I was on a cruise in the early 90's during a tropical depression and we were told that the ship couldn't go into a closed port and if they were in the port when it closed they had to leave. Because of this we sailed for 36 hours trying to stay ahead of the TD. We were told this was because the danger of a ship sinking in port was too great and the result would be a port that couldn't open. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

Question for chengkp75 please. I was on a cruise in the early 90's during a tropical depression and we were told that the ship couldn't go into a closed port and if they were in the port when it closed they had to leave. Because of this we sailed for 36 hours trying to stay ahead of the TD. We were told this was because the danger of a ship sinking in port was too great and the result would be a port that couldn't open. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

It all depends on the storm, the port, the direction the storm is coming to the port, and a good many other things. Most typically, a ship will leave port to sail clear of a storm. However, I've been on a ship in PEV that rode out a hurricane at the dock. It wasn't fun, and we parted a lot of mooring lines, but given our speed, the speed of the storm, and its track, the Captain felt better about being tied to the pier, and he was probably correct, as we suffered very little damage, certainly no more than we would have from high winds at sea (antennas, masts, things like that).

But, in another port, in another storm, at another dock, on another ship, we might have beat ourselves to scrap against the pier or broken loose and hit other ships or docks.

But, yes, if the port is closed, no ships are allowed in. Whether ships are allowed to leave is up to the harbormaster and the USCG Captain of the Port.

As to a ship sinking and keeping a port from opening, that would all depend, again, on the port, where the ship was docked, where it sank, and a lot of things. A ship sinking at the dock would block that particular dock, but probably would not affect other areas of the port, or even adjacent dock space.

Are you familar with Marinetraffic.com ? If I were you given your schedule, I would watch where Majesty is, if she isn't on her way back to Florida by Monday, you won't be sailing on Tuesday. I don't know when the charter group will tell you or if Royal will mention any updates on their site. I'm sure I'll be back on this thread Monday.

MAjesty seems to be headed with a bunch of other ships to the gulf west of the storms path.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As of this time, according to Marine Traffic, practically all empty (or non-rev in the case of Enchantment) Florida based ships are on their way to float around the Yucatan Channel between Mexico and Cuba. Oasis is docked in Cozumel alongside Carnival Splendor with MSC Divina and Norweigan Escape on their way to dock there as well (all have passengers aboard). Allure is heading toward Falmouth.

Yeah, Majesty is the last ship to sail through between Key West and Cuba. She is currently about 30 miles ESE of Key West. Probably in some fairly rough seas.

No way, she will be back for the Tuesday sailing since the eye of Irma is not supposed to reach the FL mainland until Sunday morning.

Marine Traffic does not display current position for several cruises. more than 13 hours in the same place near Key West

I believe Marine Traffic locates ships by triangulation from ground based tracking stations. With a storm like this some of these may be knocked out of service or lost power.

Roy

I believe Marine Traffic locates ships by triangulation from ground based tracking stations. With a storm like this some of these may be knocked out of service or lost power.

Roy

No, the ship sends its position on the AIS transceiver frequency, and land based stations pick up the signal. So, it only requires one land based station to receive a ship's signal for it to be displayed on marinetraffic, or other commercial site, but each site may have different stations enrolled (the site pays for the station to provide the data), so different sites may have slightly different coverage areas. If a ship is outside of range of a land based AIS station (or in the case of Cuba, there are no land based AIS stations that are enrolled in the site's (marinetraffic) system, then the ship is shown as "out of range", and the last known position is shown, with the amount of time since that position was received.

Most of these commercial tracking sites will sell you the "upgrade" to satellite AIS, which locates ships out of range of land based stations. However, due to system technology problems, and requests by the government agencies that use this service for SAR and Maritime Security, these sites only get 2 updates per day from the satellites (any more requests, and the satellites get overloaded and vessel information is lost/distorted or the whole system crashes for a time).

Slight Clarification. RCI didn't put their employees on a ship to make sure they are out of harms way. They put them all on a ship to make sure they are there and available for work the minute the port re-opens and allows ships back in. Otherwise they would have employees evacuated out of state that may not be able to get back for many days after the port is opened again. It's not done in the interest of their employee's well being. It is done in the financial interest of the company, as is every single decision they make these days.

Slight Clarification. RCI didn't put their employees on a ship to make sure they are out of harms way. They put them all on a ship to make sure they are there and available for work the minute the port re-opens and allows ships back in. Otherwise they would have employees evacuated out of state that may not be able to get back for many days after the port is opened again. It's not done in the interest of their employee's well being. It is done in the financial interest of the company, as is every single decision they make these days.

<smh>