Why We Chose HAL

e3g

Thank you all for this thread. We are avid cruisers but have never done HAL until November when we are supposed to cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Thinking we might cancel because of Irma and affects on the islands we visit, but now are considering HAL for Alaska next spring. I'm concerned for two reasons about cruising HAL: unlike most of you, we like the informalness of NCL with the anytime dining and not dressing up and, the demographics. From what I have read, the average age on a HAL ship is something like 68 or 70. Nothing against that, I'm 61 myself, but a young 61 who likes to be active and not have to be to bed at 10pm because there's nothing to do after 10pm. Thoughts, anyone?

The average age on HAL is probably in the mid to late sixties. But it is more the attitude than the number which makes a passenger demographic compatible. From your post, I am fairly confident that you will be happier on NCL than on HAL.

We have cruised on RSSC - Seven Seas Voyager - twice - very good

Celebrity -Mercury & Celebrity Eclipse - very enjoyable

Norwegian Sun - Definitely NOT for us

HAL - Maasdam, Veendam, Prinsendam & Eurodam - enjoyed the small ships, found the Prinsendam disappointing in terms of problems with the cabin which HAL would not take seriously, and were underwhelmed by Eurodam although we thought Tamarind Restaurant one the best we have ever experienced. We noticed that there was a marked deterioration in HAL's offering over the 5 years that we cruised with them.

Our go to line is now Cunard - QM2 twice, Queen Victoria twice. Being Brits Cunard ships suit us very well and as yet - standards have not fallen!

we keep coming back to HAL because to us that is what traditional cruising looks & feels like.Allan

Thank you. We're again looking for that 'traditional' cruising experience, and hopefully HAL will deliver.

After 20+ years of cruising other lines (NCL, RCI, CCL), we're coming back to HAL and hopefully we won't be disappointed.