I'm Late, I'm Late: Westerdam Review

MrsMuir

Hello, everyone. Thanks to Walt, I'm back as a poster again. I've been reading the Cruise Critic HAL Board during lunch at work and usually at night, but got all mixed up with my password and was too verklempt to get it sorted out. How I've longed to join in! Reading your reviews and thoughts and observations is the next best thing to being on a ship.

If you're still with me, here are my impressions of the Gems of the Baltic cruise on the Westerdam, 9/8 to 9/18. I won't go into the details, since others have done so already on similar cruises and about the Westerdam herself. However, I will share any insights and lessons learned. I've certainly learned a lot from all of you!

DH Richard and I took a 12-day version of this cruise in 2000, on the Rotterdam. We had a fabulous time: great ports, great Deluxe Verandah stateroom, renewal of vows, followed by a week in London, our favorite place in the entire world. Our only disappointment was that, due to hot, humid July weather and the fact that we had visas and were on our own in St. Petersburg, we ended up not visiting the Hermitage. That just didn't set right. Who goes to St. Petersburg without seeing the Hermitage? So, as soon as we could swing it, we booked the 10-day Gems of the Baltic on the Westerdam.

Since we'd enjoyed our stay at Copenhagen's Admiral Hotel in 2000, we repeated the experience in 2005. The hotel, which used to be a warehouse, is located just a block from Nyhavn, in the old sector of wonderful Copenhagen, right on the waterfront. It may be a bit pricey, but it's full service and you can walk to almost anywhere from there. Best of all, it's a short taxi ride to either of the two main ship terminals. Our non-Danish taxi driver didn't recognize the name of the pier printed on the HAL documents, "Freeport pier." He went to the closest pier, where the Rotterdam had been in 2000, where an Italian ship was moored. Fortunately I saw a sign that pointed to "Freihavn" (Freeport in English)and directed him in that direction. Those Norwegian language classes I took 30 years ago still come in handy. The Westerdam, huge and yet staggeringly beautiful, was waiting for us at Freihavn.

We were early (10:30) in the embarkation area, but weren't the first in line. When it was our turn at the embarkation desk, we heard the three most beautiful words in the English language: "You've been upgraded." Instead of 6006, we were in 8047, on the Promenade Deck. I thought it would be unseemly to dig out my well-worn deck plan to see where 8047 was, and what category, but as soon as we were aboard and seated by the Lido pool, I figured out what the Upgrade Fairy had done for us. Category SS!!! I'd wanted that category and had been tempted to change to it since we'd booked in December 2004, but it was beyond our means. The whole CRUISE was beyond our means. What a wonderful gift from HAL. That upgrade tempered the one major disappointment, which I'll describe later.

8047 made me feel like a queen. We'd loved our Verandah cabin on the Rotterdam, but this was even better. Double sinks in the bathroom, plenty of closet space for my 8 pairs of shoes, a dressing table for me and a desk for Richard to work on his drawings. As we sailed away, I fell asleep in the sun on our beautiful veranda, in one of the two padded wicker chairs, two ottomans, a small drinks table, a round dining table and two chairs. It doesn't get any better than this. That first afternoon on a ship has got to be the happiest....If I go on with this I'll be awash, so on to the rest of the report, including the one element on the cruise that was not fulfilled for us. Or maybe we didn't fulfill it. Your thoughts are welcome!

I'd booked our cruise via telephone with HAL, having been less than impressed with the travel agent I booked with in 2000. I work in Seattle, so it was easy to do -- and so exciting to tell the person on the other end what cabin you'd like, what size table, what dinner seating.... Anyway, I asked for a table for 10, because in 2000 we'd been at a table for 8 and we'd ended up with an elbow-pinching table for 9. We'd had a blast with one couple at that table and had even met them for dinner in London afterwards. The other tablemates had been well-matched and great company at dinnertime. So why not a table for 10? We wanted to meet other couples who like to travel and enjoy life.

The first night we dined alone at a lovely table by the window set for 10. Oh well, we figured, they must be a group who decided to dine at the Pinnacle Grill the first night. Still, we were disappointed. The next night was the first formal night. I spent two hours getting tarted up and put on my new black cocktail dress that made me look like Marilyn Monroe if you took your glasses off. Richard was the Silver Fox in his black blazer and silk tie. Formal nights were one of the best reasons for cruising. We dined alone again at our window table set for 10.

We are an attractive couple, personable, with good table manners. But we felt like lepers at that huge empty table. After we realized that we were alone yet again, Richard sought out the maitre d', who told us that only one other couple had been assigned to our table, and they'd requested a table for two. He promised us that he would arrange for two couples join us. On the third or fourth night of the 10-day cruise he followed through. We were joined by two very compatible couples who were happy to sit by the window with us. But, with Pinnacle Grill reservations, one couple's trip to Berlin, and other shore excursions, the six of us missed out on some great times, I think. After the cruise, I told my HAL Cruise Consultant about the table fiasco. He said that tables for 10 were for groups traveling together. Sure wish I'd known. Next time I will ask for a table for eight. Richard and I love each other and enjoy each other's company, but part of the enjoyment of a cruise is meeting new friends. We did connect to our tablemates, but not as closely as we may have, given more time. We did make a good friend on this cruise: Edmond, of the Ocean Bar. Amiri was our steward, the same wonderful person who took care of Rev Neal and Christopher on their recent cruise.

OK, time to wrap up. We didn't take the trouble or expense to get visas for Russia this time, so we missed an interesting walk from the ship and an independent tour of St. Petersburg as before, but got to see the Hermitage at last. The best moment of the entire cruise was when the Westerdam and the Prinsendam left Warnemunde at the same time, after a town fireworks display to mark the last visit of the season. Both ships "talked" to each other as they left port, booming their whistles in turn. It was magic.

That's my tale. Like I always say, I love to be ON the water, not IN it. Thanks to all of you who write so well of your adventures at sea. We don't have a cruise booked at the moment, but I love to hear about your plans and experiences.

Linda (Mrs Muir)

Welcome back to the boards :)

Thank you for writing the review, I enjoyed reading it also.

Glad that you had such a nice cruise. Sorry that your table arrangements were less than expected, but it was nice that the upgrade fairy smiled upon you :)

Archived