GTY Cabin

md2va2003

If you want a PH3 the GTY option means that you will get that cabin category

You may or may not get an upsell/upgrade

If you can choose the cabin by number you still may or may not get an upsell offer

JMO

Is there an advantage to book a GUARANTEED PH suite over a PH3 suite at the same price? What is the possibility of getting upgraded to PH2 or PH1? Going on the Riviera 3/28/2018. Thanks

Sorry a little unclear to me. What is the category for the GTY? I do not think you can book GTY while thus is a cabin to choose from. I know on other lines there is the choice but the GTY is a cheaper rate for taking the risk of cabin location. I thought O only sold GTYs once the cabins were gone (or maybe hold back one...)

But to your question, if you can choose GTY or a cabin in the same category at the same price the only advantage of the GTYI can think of is if the only cabin available is already your last choice. Then a GTY might be in a better location, or maybe the very same one you see available now.

As for does it increase the chance of an upsell offer, I don't think it does. Lots of anecdotal reports both ways but I have never seen firm confirmation it matters.

I've booked GTY on O but not to try to get an upsell/grade though one can always hope (and I do that too)

We booked a PH3 GTY for our cruise last February on the Riveria in September 2016. Ended up with a PH1 cabin right in the center of the ship. We would have been happy with any PH cabin so all was good. But we did not get our cabin assignment until about 8 days out so you may not know until the last minute what cabin you are in. Julia

We booked a PH3 GTY ... But we did not get our cabin assignment until about 8 days out so you may not know until the last minute what cabin you are in. Julia
That is very true; one will not know when it is assigned until it is. Some have reported, with dismay hoping for an upgrade offer, they had a cabin assigned within days of booking and I've read of no assignment until they arrived to check-in dockside. My last GTY we had our cabin assigned after a little email prodding just before leaving for our flight . Much like "will I get an upgrade" this too is a cannot predict.

If you don't care about location aboard, the GTY gives you a chance to get a better suite than you're paying for but it's a crapshoot. We typically book GTYs when available and have usually been assigned a cabin higher in the same letter category booked (e.g., PH3 to PH 1 or 2, but not to VS or OS).

That having been said, my advice is to check the suites in your category (in this case, PH) and make sure there aren't any you absolutely don't want that you might get if you book a GTY instead of a specific suite. For example, if you don't want to be directly under the Terrace Cafe or pool then don't book a PH GTY which might put you in a suite on Deck 11 aft or midship - right where you don't want to be.