Does anyone else find

Mishelle

This insulting. I called Carnival regarding two things that I was unhappy about one was something I felt should have been discussed further and all I received was their standard form letter offering me a Bon Voyage gift. I was not looking for something for free. I think I should have gotten a telephone call or a letter saying my problem was acknowledged or to find out more about what happened. We had a problem in Disney last year due to the hurricane, I called Disney and spoke to someone to find out why my situation was delt with the way it was and a few weeks later I was called and someone explained to me why they handled the problem the way they did. I feel by them sending that letter it likes like they didn't even look into my complaint. Has anyone else ever felt like this. Michelle

How did you end the call? Maybe call back and let them know you weren't calling just to vent, but rather would have appreciated a follow up...Without knowing the details, it's hard to say... if you left it as though you were just venting, then getting the bon voyage response was nice... that's more than most get. Good luck in getting a response!!!

How did you end the call? Maybe call back and let them know you weren't calling just to vent, but rather would have appreciated a follow up...Without knowing the details, it's hard to say... if you left it as though you were just venting, then getting the bon voyage response was nice... that's more than most get. Good luck in getting a response!!!

No, I ended the call letting them know how upset I was and wanted to know the outcome. I even called my Carnival PVP before I made the call and she gave me the number to call. I just feel by sending the letter I received it just looked as though it was ignored. I am going to call back on Monday and find out how to make sure my complaint gets to the right person. I would be willing to write a letter and mail it if anyone knows the address and who to send it to. As for now my DH does not want to sail Carnival ever again. Thanks Michelle

It is my guess that they sent you the letter because a lot of people who complain are looking for something. With a corporation the size of Carnival, I doubt they listen to individual complaints unless there is immediate and undeniable proof that something went wrong or they receive multiole of the same type. I'm not saying that's a good thing, especially in the service industry, but it is probably a reality.

Mishelle, Disney has just two ships while Carnival has more ships than many of the world's navies. Carnival therefore gets many more complaints and probably does not have the staff to call everyone personally. Don't feel offended.

Also, you should note that the two lines are in entirely different price categories. Carnival is entry-level, Disney is priced in line with premium lines. It's like the difference between a Chevy and a Lexus.

My Disney problem was at the resort not on the boat. I don't think it should matter Disney is a huge business and they do take the time to resolve a complaint. I am not looking for anything just an acknowledgment that my issue was heard and crew members were spoken to about the what happened. Maybe to them it was not a big issue but to me it was a problem. I don't want to say what happened because people on this board might take it the wrong way and I don't want to be flamed. Michelle

Hi Mishelle:

I agree with you. Disney Corporation as a whole has millions and millions of people go through its parks each year. I'm not saying that I know if it is more or less than Carnival has cruise passengers but I do agree that Carnival, for its size should (<-- key word) be able to hire enough people to deal with complaints. OTOH if there are so many complaints that hiring everyone in the world to work in the complaint department would not be enough, perhaps they should look at the reason why they are getting so many complaints.

I've always had good experiences with Carnival but I am posting this agreement as a general rule that no company should get so big that it doesn't have humans responding to complaints and I don't mean humans sending out the form letters. Carnival would do well to look at the Disney model, IMHO.

Hope you get a human-voiced answer.

Vanessa

I hope you get another response from them, as this seems to be eating at you, and the longer it goes on and you're rallied by this board, the worse it will get. Is it really that important to take your positive energies away?:o

Since you do not care to state your complaint, we don't know if Carnival committed a serious gaff or if you were picking the fly specks out of the pepper. It could be that Carnival DID respond with what they feel your complaint is worth. So now you have the festering old complaint plus a new complaint that they didn't pay enough attention to you. You may be 100% correct on both, but you may be 100% wrong on both, we have no way of knowing. What we do know is that you mention 2 cruises, Disney and Carnival and you felt the need to complain about both. That may be all I need to know.

46 cruises, none perfect, all fantastic.

Dan

For the record, I want to say that I have emailed Carnival with 3 concerns over the years. 2 were addressed fully and completely IMO, and I was very impressed with the response I received. The third was not really addressed at all, and I was very angry at the time, but I later realized that I was mostly at fault for the problem and it was indeed NOT Carnival's problem to resolve. Sometimes you just need to take a BIG step back, look at the big picture, and move on.

Mishelle, a year ago Dec. we sailed on the Elation. This was our first cruise ever. I had no idea what to expect from a cruise or any cruise line to compare Carnival to. Overall, we had no complaints with the cruise except for a few incidents with our steward and that the crew did nothing to explain what was happening when we entered some extremely bad weather. We had 20ft. waves and 30mph winds. In other words, we had run into a major cold front in the Gulf that had just dumped snow along the Coast from South Padre to New Orleans. As a first time cruiser I thought that some explanation and reassurance of what was going should have been given. I called Carnival when I got home, not because I wanted something, but I didn't want others to go through what we went through. I not only got a very acceptable letter of apology, but I got a 15% discount on my next cruise and a $50 on-board credit for each of us on our next cruise. We decided to try a cruise again and are going in a few weeks. Maybe it's how you make your complaint and who you are talking to that makes a difference. Don't lose your cool and try talking to someone else at Carnival.

What we do know is that you mention 2 cruises, Disney and Carnival and you felt the need to complain about both. That may be all I need to know.

Dan

Actually Dan that is not what she said. She stated her problem with Disney was at the Disney resort and not on the cruise ship.

To the OP>>It really doesn't matter whether any of us agree with your complaint or not, the fact is that FOR YOU, You have a complaint and feel that you were brushed aside and your complaint not taken seriously. If I were you I would call guest relations again and let them know you are not looking for anything except an acknowledgement of your complaint and reassurance that it will be looked into. Good luck. :)

Laura

I have to agree with Dan. There is no way for the people on this board to judge if Carnival acted in an appropriate fashion or not. Without attempting to trivialize your concerns what may be a major concern to the OP might be a nothing to someone else, and what might be a major problem to someone else might be nothing to the OP. These type of things are very difficult to judge without some detail.

Since you do not care to state your complaint, we don't know if Carnival committed a serious gaff or if you were picking the fly specks out of the pepper. It could be that Carnival DID respond with what they feel your complaint is worth. So now you have the festering old complaint plus a new complaint that they didn't pay enough attention to you. You may be 100% correct on both, but you may be 100% wrong on both, we have no way of knowing. What we do know is that you mention 2 cruises, Disney and Carnival and you felt the need to complain about both. That may be all I need to know.

Dan

Dan, If you took a moment to read what I wrote I said Disney was the resort not the cruise. With Disney it was not what they did it was how the handled my situation during a hurricane. I don't mean to be rude but some people on these boards take things so personally. They act like they own Carnival and it is their business. I am just stating how I feel. I don't mind saying what happened and I will since it doesn't really matter you get attacked no matter what you write.

As for what happened on Carnival happened with the kids club. This is our second carnival cruise and the first one was great. We were on the Destiny this time and I guess since the boat left from San Juan it was probably 75% Puerto Rican. And no I am not prejudice since my Husband is Puerto Rican. We attended the party for the kids club in the Disco and after 15 minutes of doing it in Spanish and English they decided that no one there spoke English and did the rest of the time in only Spanish. Now my son does not speak any Spanish and I found this to be very rude. He could no longer understand what was going on and did not want to participate anymore. I agree that all of the other children there except my son and I spoke Spanish but they should not just assume. There were a few other issues but that is the one that upset me the most. I think this needs some kind of response you may not agree but I spent a lot of money to go on this cruise. I was thanksgiving week and cost extra and I had 5 people and 2 rooms. No, I am not looking for anything for free and don't want anything in return just want to know that they looked into what I complained about. The lady who took my complaint didn't think it was correct and a little surprised it happened at all. Michelle

First of all..I think you were correct...You will probably be flamed now that you have posted your complaint...:(

Being in upper management,and a business owner my entire working life,I find there are 3 types of complainers...Those that want something...Those that just want to make someone "pay" ...and those who really want a company to know about a problem,they may need to address...simple....

It seems to me,you fall into the final catagory..And I applaude you for that...

It would be nice if companies responded to the "complaint" itself...And not just wash everything off...Most companies want the customer to know they will "address the situation" even if their actions fell within company policey.It seems that the travel business is the exception to this rule..And without getting into a big debate over business ethics,I can see the need for this stance (to a degree)...

Having said all of that...You did ask on a public forum...what people thought...Or if we also would have been offended by the response from Carnival..I think most people are just responding to that question..

I personally don't have a problem with what you say happened on the ship...I liken it to someone from PR...sailing from Miami...and then complaining that the entertainment was done in English...I know..A little different,but I think thats what it comes down to.

It would be nice if your concern was more thouroughly addressed...But I wouldn't expect it to...On any large cruise line for that matter...

Have a good day.... (I have a broken hot water heater,water all over the floor....and broken drain lines from my house under the slab) :eek: :mad: ..

Dan, If you took a moment to read what I wrote I said Disney was the resort not the cruise. With Disney it was not what they did it was how the handled my situation during a hurricane. I don't mean to be rude but some people on these boards take things so personally. They act like they own Carnival and it is their business. I am just stating how I feel. I don't mind saying what happened and I will since it doesn't really matter you get attacked no matter what you write.

As for what happened on Carnival happened with the kids club. This is our second carnival cruise and the first one was great. We were on the Destiny this time and I guess since the boat left from San Juan it was probably 75% Puerto Rican. And no I am not prejudice since my Husband is Puerto Rican. We attended the party for the kids club in the Disco and after 15 minutes of doing it in Spanish and English they decided that no one there spoke English and did the rest of the time in only Spanish. Now my son does not speak any Spanish and I found this to be very rude. He could no longer understand what was going on and did not want to participate anymore. I agree that all of the other children there except my son and I spoke Spanish but they should not just assume. There were a few other issues but that is the one that upset me the most. I think this needs some kind of response you may not agree but I spent a lot of money to go on this cruise. I was thanksgiving week and cost extra and I had 5 people and 2 rooms. No, I am not looking for anything for free and don't want anything in return just want to know that they looked into what I complained about. The lady who took my complaint didn't think it was correct and a little surprised it happened at all. Michelle

After reading this I must agree with you. There is no excuse for not conducting the orientation in both English and Spanish. I will tell you for what it is worth that Carnival is not the only line that has brain freezes on occasion (it even happens on the luxury lines).

I hope that you get a satisfactory response.

Mischelle,

Valid compaint...however, I recognize that you are NOT seeking validation of your complaint. You were simply stating that you were not happy with Carnival's response to your comments. And, I'm sure that I'll go down in flames with you, but in my opinion, Carnival's customer service has begun deteriorating over the past several months. That's been my experience. Maybe it is from them thinking that everyone is looking for something. Or, maybe it's because they are filling their ships so they don't really care if people repeat with them.

What I don't understand is the folks who think that a person is always looking for something material from a complaint. Maybe some folks are but those with serious concerns aren't likely to be swayed to cruise with the line again for the insignificant stuff offered with a 45-day letter. And, if the situation is of enough concern to the guest, it's highly unlikely that future cruise discounts would mean anything either. I've got a 50% discount certificate from NCL that will never be used. If it had been a 100% discount ticket, it wouldn't be used.

Thanks for pursuing your concern and hopefully helping keep others from running into the disappointing experience that you did.

This insulting. I called Carnival regarding two things that I was unhappy about one was something I felt should have been discussed further and all I received was their standard form letter offering me a Bon Voyage gift. I was not looking for something for free. I think I should have gotten a telephone call or a letter saying my problem was acknowledged or to find out more about what happened. We had a problem in Disney last year due to the hurricane, I called Disney and spoke to someone to find out why my situation was delt with the way it was and a few weeks later I was called and someone explained to me why they handled the problem the way they did. I feel by them sending that letter it likes like they didn't even look into my complaint. Has anyone else ever felt like this. Michelle

Most people want the free gift...not really why something happened. It is done with at that point. I would fight for a bigger gift, like 20% off your next cruise.

Most people want the free gift...not really why something happened. It is done with at that point. I would fight for a bigger gift, like 20% off your next cruise.

Guess you missed the part that she wasn't looking for a "gift" or a "bigger gift"?? She is looking for a response to her complaint... most people that have valid complaints are not looking for something free, the want validation...

Michelle, I understand, and agree that Carnival should be aware of the problem you encountered... try sending a letter to guest relations, let them know you are not looking for something free, but rather acknowledgement. Good luck.

The lady who took my complaint didn't think it was correct and a little surprised it happened at all. Michelle

I don't blame you in the least for being upset. I would be a little ticked off too.

Your post has me a little concerned since we will be on the Destiny in a little over a month with our kids. Our kids have both been on a cruise before and are really looking forward to camp. They would be crushed if they couldn't participate due to a language barrier. I am just curious, did you discuss your concerns with the camp counselors? If so, what was their response?

I don't blame you in the least for being upset. I would be a little ticked off too.

Your post has me a little concerned since we will be on the Destiny in a little over a month with our kids. Our kids have both been on a cruise before and are really looking forward to camp. They would be crushed if they couldn't participate due to a language barrier. I am just curious' date=' did you discuss your concerns with the camp counselors? If so, what was their response?[/quote']

Don't be concerned I think the problem was it was a holiday week. My son spent the rest of the week there without any problem. This night was the first night not many children attended the party. (probally due to the long day getting on the ship and all) He begged to go to camp every day after that and make a lot of friends. No, I was unable to discuss it with the counselors since it was an interactive dance party. I would be curious as to how your week goes. Michelle

Don't be concerned I think the problem was it was a holiday week. My son spent the rest of the week there without any problem. This night was the first night not many children attended the party. (probally due to the long day getting on the ship and all) He begged to go to camp every day after that and make a lot of friends. No, I was unable to discuss it with the counselors since it was an interactive dance party. I would be curious as to how your week goes. Michelle

Thank you so much for the clarification. I wasn't sure if this was only during this activity or through out the entire week. My husband thinks that I worry too much....he may be on to something. ;)

Were you fortunate enough to get good weather? It seems like it has been raining more than normal lately...especially in Barbados.

Mishelle, as I stated before, I agree with you for contacting Carnival. Not everyone is looking for freebies. Now that I know the issue, I would contact them again, but speak to a supervisor. Tell them the entire story and tell them them that you are not asking for anything from them except to review the situation. Tell them that you are contacting them because you would hope that your feedback would help them serve their passengers better. After all if no one made these complaints/comments, how will they know that something is wrong? I'd tell them you are doing it for the next child who might have language issues and you wouldn't want another child to go through what your child had to. That should hit home with them. Pretend to be their ally. In other words, you're giving them the feedback for their benefit. In the meantime, you just vented and you'll feel better. But remember, talk to a supervisor. Good luck!!

Archived