Money in India

PACH99

As you can not purchase Rupees outside India,(and you can not take them out of India) what is the best way to deal with this? I understand that the cash machines are old and unreliable. Would it be better to take Sterling or Dollars and change them while there, or use these for tipping?

Edited by PACH99
Quote message in reply

Thank you Keith. I thought of doing exactly what you did.

quote=Keith1010;54466641]I am not sure where you are from but no need to get the local currency.

Since we are from the USA we used USA currency and they were very happy to take the currency.

Same would be true for Sterling.

Keith

As you can not purchase Rupees outside India,(and you can not take them out of India) what is the best way to deal with this? I understand that the cash machines are old and unreliable. Would it be better to take Sterling or Dollars and change them while there, or use these for tipping?

You should find a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know if you can but Rupees in US but you are allowed to bring an equivalent to USD 380 (INR 25,000) into India.

I were in India earlier this year and were able to buy Rupees (INR) through Foxex bank in Denmark - the information I got were: "Any person resident outside India, not being a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh,vand visiting India, has been allowed to take outside India or bring into India, Indian currency notes up to an amount not exceeding INR .25,000."