Amber Cove - Pleasantly surprised

karena1

We actually enjoyed Amber Cove. We took a taxi to Playa El Chapparal and it was a very nice beach. Taxis are a little expensive, it cost us $70 round trip. He wanted $80. Taxi driver stayed at the beach all day with us.

Bathrooms were clean, food was good. Water was a little rough but very clear. Beach was clean. Very few vendors bugging you. Staff were very pleasant.

We had a good time there and would go again.

• 1 month later...

We too were pleasantly surprised by Amber Cove. We took a bicycle taxi from the ship to the Amber Cove entrance for the cost of a tip. We then spent several hours in the sparkling clean pool and on the new loungers. We were never charged for chairs. The drink prices from the poolside bartenders were reasonable at $5 for local beer and $7 for a rum and sprite (local favorite). The bicycle taxis were waiting to take us back to the ship.

The thing about Amber Cove is that it is such a great area of the country, but a terrible port itself. I have spent lots of time in the DR and the Amber Coast is one of the prettiest sections. However, many Carnival Cruisers just get off their ship and go to the big pool, and completely miss the beautiful area surrounding them. Carnival tried to make another Mahogany Bay or Grand Turk, but without the beach strip, they really missed the ball. So, port wise, Amber Cove has been one of the least favorite physical ports. But in terms of activities, it's one of my favorites. I'm glad you ventured out and saw some of the beauty of the country!

• 3 weeks later...
The thing about Amber Cove is that it is such a great area of the country, but a terrible port itself. I have spent lots of time in the DR and the Amber Coast is one of the prettiest sections. However, many Carnival Cruisers just get off their ship and go to the big pool, and completely miss the beautiful area surrounding them. Carnival tried to make another Mahogany Bay or Grand Turk, but without the beach strip, they really missed the ball. So, port wise, Amber Cove has been one of the least favorite physical ports. But in terms of activities, it's one of my favorites. I'm glad you ventured out and saw some of the beauty of the country!

I am helping my parents plan their day in Amber Cove. They are in their early 70's and quite active. What are your favorite activities in the area?