Koningsdam 11-nights 11/8-11/19/17 Review

NCTribeFan

NC, thank you so much for posting your recent K'dam cruise experience! I sail on her 12/20 as a solo and it was nice to get a feel of what to expect. Thanks for the great photos of the ship, it will help me get my bearings. Glad too that the Trivia is in full swing. They are little meet-and-greets every day that I enjoy! Happy travels! Also, loved the photo of the Celebrity Eclipse as I sail on her TA Miami to Dublin in April to celebrate my Retirement

I think there may be someone on our Horizon TA that's taking that Eclipse sailing, spending the interim time in Europe, then joining us in Barcelona. Some are taking NCL Epic over, but most of us doing the B2B TAs are taking Star over. I do hope I like NCL!

I really want to try X but I'll have to find a good deal to do so. The ships look beautiful.

I know a lot of HAL loyalists think it's too big and too modern. Not me. I loved the size and layout of Zuiderdam, but K didn't feel that much larger. Thought the decor was gorgeous.

That was my thought as well! Loved the Z, and I loved the KD. I didn't find it huuuge. And it is beautifully appointed. When I was on NCL Getaway last January, I had a great time, but found that I did a lot of comparing the two, and KD won hands down!

It was good to meet you, too!

Without going into my entire life story, I'll just say that I got a "late start" and don't have a lot of retirement funds, which is why I'll probably need to work at least tax seasons for a long time.

We just had one of our preparers give his notice this week so we're losing someone who was putting in 65-70 hr/wk and the partners will expect everyone to increase their hours. I've already told them my doctor recommended I decrease from the 65 hrs/wk they want so not sure what's going to happen, but it will be stressful.

Plus, I'm voluntarily leaving the group health plan and going on Medicare and will be paying that, plus supplemental insurance, plus drug coverage out-of-pocket with after-tax dollars. I asked that since that would save the firm nearly $1,000/month that they increase my compensation to cover my cost (which would be less than half of what I'm saving them). They declined. Isn't that just so very considerate? There are articles coming out weekly about how firms can't hire qualified workers and how they need to retain their high-level preparers because they just can't replace them. One would think they might be a little more willing to keep me happy. Guess not! :mad: I informed them that this will definitely influence my future decisions.

So I may be retiring at 66 after all. I'm sure I can find tax-season work somewhere. The problem is that once I have the time to cruise, I may not have the funds. While working, I have the funds but not the time. Catch 22 situation there!

Anyway, I'm still feeling homesick! I had such a great time!

Loved your review and photos! We are glad that you had a good time and agree with you about meeting interesting people. Many of the folks in our roll call were fun to spend time with.

We were booked on the "flavours of Cap Cana" tour that was cancelled, and never was notified about the new tour in La Romana. Somehow the notification never made it to our mailbox. Anneke and Harlan said they just got a new set of tickets delivered to their room. Too bad. We really were looking forward to that tour.

Hope to see you again on another dam cruise.

Jim & Kay

I'm not sure how I found the new tours offered in La Romana. I may have just stumbled across them in the Navigator app, but I do know I got a flyer, too. And I recall the CD making an announcement that there were new tours available. I just went down to the excursion desk and booked it there.

I'm still homesick! Would do that sailing again (with the same people) every year if I could!!