Currency in South America

32Knocker

We’re visiting Argentina, Uruguay & Chile in February. Which currencies should we take with us? Will US dollars be enough or should we take local currency?

As you're from the UK, taking US dollars makes no sense, since you'll essentially be paying a double conversion. Take the local currencies for each country, or plan to use ATMs in each port.

We’re visiting Argentina, Uruguay & Chile in February. Which currencies should we take with us? Will US dollars be enough or should we take local currency?

In Chile, they really prefer local currency.

In Argentina you can go with a range of currencies but my recommendation is to go wit local currency as well.

Keith

I went to the local bank in California to exchange money for Argentina peso; they told me they would exchange for Uruguay peso and Chilean peso but not ARS (Argentina peso). Some of the taxis will not take American money. Exchange at the airport.

I went to the local bank in California to exchange money for Argentina peso; they told me they would exchange for Uruguay peso and Chilean peso but not ARS (Argentina peso). Some of the taxis will not take American money. Exchange at the airport.

Not sure when your attempt to exchange was, SFSing. But Argentina totally changed their monetary policy recently (summer of 2016 I believe) and should have much more respect now than before.

But in any case, for the OP, plan to draw from ATMs/Cashpoints if at all possible. GBP can be exchanged at banks or through currency-exchange, but you will pay more than you would when using an ATM. $US are readily recognizable and acceptable most of the time but I expect the street vendor or cabbie or even restaurant is going to accept GBP or even Euros except at quite a premium.

Presuming that you are cruising .... I found that in some of the ports in SA countries, there is a currency exchange inside the cruise terminal. It was easier to get some local currency there than try to acquire multiple currencies in advance of leaving home.