Thanksgiving week on the Breakaway

mchelle77

I was on the ship that week (for the second time, first was last October to Bermuda) and had some observations/reviews:

I tried SO many drinks on this trip, but mostly leaned on my favorites (Dale, Mr Worldwide, Eastern Legacy, Mojitos, good old beer) for the majority of the time. The waiter at Maltings was so much fun (there were two, it's the one with the different name ... I think it begins with a B, and the other was Ryan.) The outdoor area at Maltings kinda made me wish I were still a smoker LOL Such a festive place. But those bar stools are TINY! I'm not the smallest person, but not the biggest either, and I don't know how anyone sits comfortably - especially without a place to put your feet under the bar to balance you.

Cirque show (saw only portion last time due to waves) was good - I was so tipsy and tired from that first day on board that I was falling asleep at the end - not because of the show! LOL

There was a medflight situation on that first full day - you could see what was going on watching the "view" channel ... my husband and I kept thinking of that person, and still wonder if they are OK.

My first time having a spa pass, and I was glad we did the spa balcony on this trip. Cold leaving NY in November, that first day was no better, and then it was cool and raining in Port C. We went almost every day. That pool with the jets was a godsend for my injured ankle (happened pre-trip) Got a lot of reading done there.

Margaritaville breakfast was a new find, and an excellent alternative to the buffet! We ate there 4 times it was so tranquil in comparison. And the view/open air environment is a big plus.

I finally tried O'Sheehan's wings (I normally don't eat chicken from the bone) but the Jamaican Jerk were SOOO good! Also tried the thai chili, good but not as good.

Also ate at Wasabi again. We got the edamame, the Gyu, a few rolls, all good. The Crispy Rice was my favorite.

Not a fan of the Noodle Bar. They sent my husband to our room to change because he had a sleeveless shirt on, and when I asked why they said they don't allow no sleeves. I pointed to two women who had string tank tops on and they said that rule is for men. I had had a few beverages and said it sounded like gender discrimination and whatever else I said :) But that aside, the food wasn't good. My husband's also was forgotten and was cold by the time it got to him (he's not a picky eater so he didn't care) I got a very plain-tasting noodle bowl (peking chicken and shrimp) and spring rolls (the only that thing was decent to me) My husband said his rice dish was fine with him.

The jogging track on that ship is so frustrating!! Not just because it's so tiny, and the views are limited, but then it goes under the drippy slides (fine for me running in my sneakers, but several people just passing through in flip flops skid on that wet area) .. then the fact that the warning sign is on the floor near Margaritaville? Can I just point out that most kids coming out of the arcade are NOT looking down on the ground and barely acknowledge runners, they're looking at the rock wall. A taller sign may be helpful.

We made it to GSC (yay!) and it was perfect weather. Got chairs in front over by the Barcardi Bar, easy access to the water. I want to rewind to that day. Keep in mind that the vendors on the island take credit card or cash, and NOT your room key ... I knew that from when I was there in 2012, but forgot. Saw a coverup I LOVED but couldn't purchase. (I even had my number memorized and tried to get them to run it with my license also, but they wouldn't :) )

We planned on just walking to Junkanoo in Nassau, but we are HHonors members and had a ton of rewards so wanted to see if we could use them at the British Colonial Hilton for a day pass. We couldn't, but got the pass anyway. $79 each for a pass that includes a $40 food/beverage credit each, plus use of the pool, loungers, snorkel gear, paddleboards, etc. Sounded like a great choice so we went ahead and did it. However, they didn't disclose the construction that was going on next door and was AWFUL. You pay to relax and then get that .. If we had been warned, we wouldn't have stayed. The paddleboards were plastic and cheap, very few people could stay up (I only saw two preteens able too, even in-shape men kept flipping sideways) Snorkels were fine, and the hammocks were cozy, according to my husband. The pool is not heated. Food was AMAZING. Mahi sandwich was my Thanksgiving lunch and I wasn't disappointed at all. Kalik beers were $6.75. The wifi there enabled us to live chat with family back home.

Prime Meridian bar made the best Mr Worldwide drinks.

Had room 14726 and could hear chairs scraping above us. I've never in all my cruises ever heard noise from my stateroom so clearly. I brought earplugs anyway (snoring husband) so I was able to block it out easily.

Our steward, Nancy, was SO nice. First time we saw her, she was down the hall and called out to us by name. I even stated that I was amazed she knew who we were from "way down there"!

I'm trying to remember anything else, but struggling - any questions, feel free to ask!

Sounds like a good time! We also like Ryan. He was in Margaritaville when we were on. He was super bored so we drank there a bit and kept him company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ryan was the OTHER bartender, he was OK ... it was his colleague that we loved. And I DID get his name, but had a few and can't remember :)

Thank you for your input on the Hilton British Colonial. We have it booked for our Dec 15th cruise. Was it really that bad with construction noise? We want to snorkel and chill on the beach and at the pool.

I'm struggling to be fair here ... full disclosure, I'm very sensitive to noise and once I hear something I can't stop hearing it. I wonder if I had stayed at the beach area if it would have been less intense? But I was just getting to the pool at that point and when it started, I just stood there not knowing what to do. Others were looking over there too, so it wasn't just me. I asked a lifeguard about it and he said it is every day. I told the guard that they may have to start serving earlier if it kept up. (OH .. they do not start serving food or drinks until later, depending on ... I'm not sure. We got there at 10:15am or so, was told 11am by the desk staff, then noon by the waitress, then saw a waitress delivering drinks at 11:30am, so .. )

Anyway, when it continued, I actually went in to see what the deal was. The gentleman I spoke to didn't seem too bothered by it (easy when you're paid to be there, and inside where you can barely hear it!) I asked if it was all day, and he said "Not all day ... only until about 5pm" ... I said that was all day for me. I said it would have been nice to be told about this because I doubt I would have paid that money to be here relaxing if I knew I couldn't, and suggested he let any day pass people know in the future. He just smiled and said "OK, thank you" ... I have video of it, but not sure how (if) I could share it. It was literally a few hours later (and a few drinks later) before I was able to joke to others there "Try pretending it's a really bad steel drum band!"

Oh, and the tables were disgusting. I have pics - dirty and HAIR all over them. I might be able to post tomorrow from my phone, where I have my pics.

I'm struggling to be fair here ... full disclosure, I'm very sensitive to noise and once I hear something I can't stop hearing it. I wonder if I had stayed at the beach area if it would have been less intense? But I was just getting to the pool at that point and when it started, I just stood there not knowing what to do. Others were looking over there too, so it wasn't just me. I asked a lifeguard about it and he said it is every day. I told the guard that they may have to start serving earlier if it kept up. (OH .. they do not start serving food or drinks until later, depending on ... I'm not sure. We got there at 10:15am or so, was told 11am by the desk staff, then noon by the waitress, then saw a waitress delivering drinks at 11:30am, so .. )

Anyway, when it continued, I actually went in to see what the deal was. The gentleman I spoke to didn't seem too bothered by it (easy when you're paid to be there, and inside where you can barely hear it!) I asked if it was all day, and he said "Not all day ... only until about 5pm" ... I said that was all day for me. I said it would have been nice to be told about this because I doubt I would have paid that money to be here relaxing if I knew I couldn't, and suggested he let any day pass people know in the future. He just smiled and said "OK, thank you" ... I have video of it, but not sure how (if) I could share it. It was literally a few hours later (and a few drinks later) before I was able to joke to others there "Try pretending it's a really bad steel drum band!"

Oh, and the tables were disgusting. I have pics - dirty and HAIR all over them. I might be able to post tomorrow from my phone, where I have my pics.

I just emailed them and asked them about the construction noise. I told them that we booked this hoping for a peaceful day and to please advise if it is still going to be happening on December 18th. I booked 12 passes and I'm going to be really upset if they don't tell the truth. :evilsmile:. I am able to cancel the passes and get a full refund up until 11 days before the cruise.

I just emailed them and asked them about the construction noise. I told them that we booked this hoping for a peaceful day and to please advise if it is still going to be happening on December 18th. I booked 12 passes and I'm going to be really upset if they don't tell the truth. :evilsmile:. I am able to cancel the passes and get a full refund up until 11 days before the cruise.

They building a new Hotel, so I'm pretty certain it is not going to be finished next month, they have been building it for a while now .

Marion

Try Melia instead - only $45 pp for the day pass. Doesnt include food/bevs but they have a bar & grill on the beach. Paddleboards, kayaks, snorkel gear, towels were included and great quality. Pools were heated, staff was so nice and accomodating. And it was a fun atmosphere, volleyball with the staff and games going on, but also, peaceful and beautiful beach.

Below you can see the email I sent them and the response I received. My email to them and the response are in reverse order. I'm torn on what to do. I only have 3 days to decide.

Hi JoAnn,

There has been ongoing construction in Nassau beside the Hilton, but I have visited the Hilton many times while the construction has been going on and I've never noticed it. The British Colonial Hilton is our most popular resort in Nassau and also is the property that gets the most repeat business so it's very well loved by many of our travelers. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Ashley

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:23 PM

To: Info@Resortforaday

Subject: Re: Nassau Hilton

Hello. I just heard that there is a lot of construction going on next door to the hotel. People have stated that because of it, it was not as enjoyable as they thought it would be.

Will this construction still be going on when we are there on December 18th?

I would personally want to ask them when they were there, if they were outside, and if so, for how long. I don't want to say they are being deceptive, but for someone who spent a good 5+ hours there, it was DEFINITELY noticeable. Not constant, but consistent.