Have you overpacked or underpacked for a cruise?

SLSD

We know 3 different couples, from different cities, (friends of ours but they don’t know each other) who are going too— We were supposed to be on that voyage, but unfortunately had to switch things around....small world tho!

I don’t know about you Roxburgh but I am finding this cruise so much easier to pack for than our last two - Antárctica and Alaska. See you shortly! Horsgrl wish you were going to be with us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t know about you Roxburgh but I am finding this cruise so much easier to pack for than our last two - Antárctica and Alaska. See you shortly! Horsgrl wish you were going to be with us.

Yes, this is an easy one because the weather is - or should be - reasonably predictable and reasonably constant. In my case, shopping was mainly about replacing a few 'tired' garments.

Oh you certainly can cruise with “tired” garments. Do remember to remove the price tags from the new items! And truth be told I have also done a bit of pre cruise shopping - not that I needed to!

Well I pretty much have a tradition (superstition ?) whereby I usually wear white jeans when I board and black when I disembark to match my mood. As to DH he pretty much wears whatever I put out for him - not sure he has a go to but he does love his pocket squares.

And yes, can’t get away from those CC trolls who want to stir up trouble.

International business class flights allow a pair of 32kg suitcases per person as well as a carry on bag and a laptop case or similar. Having paid for it why would we not use it ?

The smartest move we ever made was designating one piece of luggage specifically for shoes.

If I'm going to Thailand for a few weeks then shorts and T-shirts are all that's needed but a cruise is different. Several Jackets, spare trousers just in case, lots of shirts for variety and just in case and a number of footwear options.

The different watches travel as carry on with me....... :)

Ironically at work I don't have to dress up so I see cruising as a chance to scrub up for Mrs Able Seaman H.

Henry :)

Its not that simple, when we did Manaus to Fort Lauderdale we had traveled in South America for the previous 7 weeks, the weight limit on flights to and from the Galapagus was 15Kg, that was our limit for the trip.

Oh please don’t bring up such a sore subject. Just bought a new pair of sandals yesterday that I will have to tuck into the bag. The nice thing about my shoes as opposed to DH’s is they weigh much less and take up less room so I figure I get two pair for every one of his. Just happy this time I don’t have to pack my hiking boots or snow boots.

No we spent a month in Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Vic Falls and private game reserve by Kruger) on s previous trip. Besides, unfortunately this is not the optimal game viewing season. We are taking a private tour out of Port Elizabeth to the Addo Game reserve and May do a private tour to a game park out of Durban - depends on other alternatives. And even so hiking boots not necessary for a game drive as you are not walking in the bush. For the one hike we will hopefully do (up Table Mountain depending on the weather) I have sneakers with good tread which should be sufficient.

No we spent a month in Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Vic Falls and private game reserve by Kruger) on s previous trip. Besides, unfortunately this is not the optimal game viewing season. We are taking a private tour out of Port Elizabeth to the Addo Game reserve and May do a private tour to a game park out of Durban - depends on other alternatives. And even so hiking boots not necessary for a game drive as you are not walking in the bush. For the one hike we will hopefully do (up Table Mountain depending on the weather) I have sneakers with good tread which should be sufficient.

We have previously spent time in the Serengeti and sneakers are more than adequate for Safari.

We will be going to the Bottlierskop reserve on a Seabourn tour. I have a friend who just got back from South Africa and who went to this reserve. He said it was very good!

For Cape Town, our friend said there were mosquitos so do take some insect repellent.

I didn’t mean for my remark to sound like I was putting a damper on the idea of a safari. My comment was more focused on those thinking of going on a multiple day safari up by Kruger where the prime game viewing time is May- Oct. The reason for this is that is the dry season and it is much, much easier to spot the animals when the vegetation is dried out and the animals collect around the watering holes. But where you are going Roxburgh is much further south and it is less of an issue as it is dry there much of the year. And furthermore, if someone had never been on a safari and thinks this will be their one shot at it I would definitely say they should go for it.

No damper at all on the remark...My philosophy is that when you’re walking down the street in a new place, you either turn left or turn right...everything you do is still a new experience and to be appreciated for what it is !

Edited by Horsgrl
typo

Horsgirl,

The trolls will no doubt think that by flashing your red soles you are flaunting your wealth. Personally I say go for it! But you do remind me of when we were at the Cairo Airport in 2011 for for days trying escape the chias when the violence from the Arab Spring erupted. One of the women in my group was wearing her Louboutins. My first thought is she must be miserable given we were standing for hours at a time and my second thought was why did she bring them on this trip? Was she planning on climbing a pyramiding them? But darn - she did look classy!

Some people can wear those sky highs all day, but at an airport, and there especially, I would prefer to be invisible. It’s always about being appropriate, don’t you think? My comment was tongue and cheek -what I’m looking for is definitely to impress the wild animals when we do the overnight (with the ship from Mombasa) as well as to to provide my own protection, Hah ! Oops, I didn’t catch the typo on the shoes, trolls, don’t come after me, please!. BTW, I’ve seen really cute Doc Martins with red soles, no, couldn’t wear those either, not supposed to wear red. Guess the sneaks will have to do!!

Edited by Horsgrl
typo

Horsgrl,

Yes, I did know you were teasing.

So my preliminary packing list for this 45 day trip includes 10 dressese and two gowns.. I’ll bring a half dozen pair of shorts and light weight ankle length pants and a dressy pair of white linen pants to wear some evenings. I will bring 8-10 casual tops (some with sleeves for temples) as well as a couple of dressier tops for evenings. Also there will be the usual bathing suits ( deciding between two or three), cover up, workout clothes, and lingerie. And then there are the shoes!! Right now I am at 8 pair ( but really only 7 count since the ones I will. wear one pair on the plane ???) This all fits snuggly into a 24” suitcase. But I may decide to put some items (shoes, makeup) into a separate rolling 20 inch bag to give me breathing room in case I shop.