Stream Video on Internet (Quality)?

KellyKozma87

Hi all,

I am surprising my husband with with a 7 Day New Year's Eve cruise on the EPIC as his Christmas gift. Well, little did I know that my husband's all-time-favorite college football team was going to make it to the the Georgia Bowl as the only undefeated team in college football (GO UCF !!!). Anyways, I know that if he misses the game, it will ruin his cruise experience (and mine - lol).

So I was wondering if anyone has experience with the internet package on the EPIC, and if the signal was strong enough to stream video. And if you did get decent video quality, were you at sea or were you in international waters? The reason I ask about the location is because we'll be at sea the day of the game.

I honestly hope that the game will be shown on board. However, someone told me recently that Norwegian is no longer showing ANY college sporting events (only professional sports). WHICH IS AN AWFUL BUSINESS DECISION in my option.

Any help is appreciated.

I wouldn’t count on it as someone who has purchased internet on last 4 cruises for Work.

Norwegian will show limited sports based on programming they receive, they would never say “no more college sports”...that’s silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epic internet actually blocks any kind of streaming and there is only ONE channel for sports so it would be unlikely. Are you going to be at sea on that day if so you are pretty much SOL.

I was on the Epic during the transatlantic and had the unlimited package. For 2 days we had no internet as no one aboard the ship knew how to re aim the dish to a different satellite Third day was at Ponta Delgada in the Azores where they got it working. On the next 8 days I used 7GB of data total, speeds were dialup quality most of the time. The Caribbean could be better or worse as some would say better coverage others would say more ships using the bandwidth.

Hi all,

I am surprising my husband with with a 7 Day New Year's Eve cruise on the EPIC as his Christmas gift. Well, little did I know that my husband's all-time-favorite college football team was going to make it to the the Georgia Bowl as the only undefeated team in college football (GO UCF !!!). Anyways, I know that if he misses the game, it will ruin his cruise experience (and mine - lol).

So I was wondering if anyone has experience with the internet package on the EPIC, and if the signal was strong enough to stream video. And if you did get decent video quality, were you at sea or were you in international waters? The reason I ask about the location is because we'll be at sea the day of the game.

I honestly hope that the game will be shown on board. However, someone told me recently that Norwegian is no longer showing ANY college sporting events (only professional sports). WHICH IS AN AWFUL BUSINESS DECISION in my option.

Any help is appreciated.

You’re not in the USA any more. You are a ship flagged in the Bahamas.

It is a good business decision to cater to the European guests who spend more than the Americans. Lots of non-US passengers. European football (soccer) and table tennis (ping pong) was the primary sports over the summer.

You share a satellite internet link with the 6000 people on the ship. You have the latency of satellite communications (every bit has to travel 23,000 miles up and back from the satellite). Our experience is that you can not reliably stream on the Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know if streaming audio would work or not. Some radio stations stream audio. Perhaps the UCF flagship radio station will stream their audio of the game. You can probably download the radio's app and look for a "listen now" or some such on the app. I'm a Clemson fan and that's what I do if video is not available.

ESPN might have an audio version of the broadcast. Here's a link:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/

As a last resort have someone back home text you updates of the game.

I don't know if streaming audio would work or not. Some radio stations stream audio. Perhaps the UCF flagship radio station will stream their audio of the game. You can probably download the radio's app and look for a "listen now" or some such on the app. I'm a Clemson fan and that's what I do if video is not available.

ESPN might have an audio version of the broadcast. Here's a link:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/

As a last resort have someone back home text you updates of the game.

What a great idea ... thank you