stereotype vs reality

babs135

When people talk about Parisians or the French being snobby, I wonder how recently they have been there, and what their attitude has been. My first trip to Paris was is 1986, and if I did not speak French, or at try, I would receive a lot of attitude. By the time the 2000s rolled around, when I would speak French, I would get responses back in English. In my experience, Parisians have become exponentially more friendly to tourists over the years.

In international travel, I've always found that learning a few words of the native language and being genuinely curious about the world and the way things are done in different places go a long way to a positive reception. When travelers insist on having everything the way it is where they are from, and are dismissive of the culture of the place they are visiting, that is an almost guaranteed recipe for friction.

At breakfast in a hotel in Geneve, the couple at the next table was telling us how rude and unfriendly they found people in France. We noticed that the couple made no effort to use the tiniest bit of French. Not even saying bon jour to the server instead of good morning.

I've only got a minimal amount of tourist French - greetings, numbers, foods and the ability to use a phrase book. I've found that when I make an effort to use the small amount of French I have, the reaction is to be quite helpful in French (perhaps correcting my French pronunciation in a friendly way) or to switch to English (as I'm probably hurting their ears with my poor French). Either way, it's a good result and no rude behavior.

In what way do all Americans comically "overblow' crime and terrorism when traveling abroad? I'm just curious for details.

I'm Irish and grew up in a tourism area, back in the days of the republican and unionist terrorism in Northern Ireland most Americans I met were very wary of visiting Ireland, they could not comprehend that the security risk was limited to a particular part of the country.

While Ireland is a small country for someone from an area that was never affected by the terrorism we couldn't understand why the Americans were so antsy compared to other nationalities.

That sort of paranoia continues in relation to other countries, heck it's built into the opening credits of a TV series. Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders specifically uses the line "when Americans leave the security of our borders".

With regard to overt presence of heavily armed police officers in Paris, it varies as threat levels vary. On my last visit to New York when I initially arrived the police presence around the city wasn't particularly overt. But while I was there the attack on the Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris happened, the next day in New York there were far more law enforcement officers of various organisations on the streets and at public places with heavier armament.

Given the number of attacks Europe has suffered in recent times there's been increasing levels of visible policing, far greater than there was a decade ago.

The French always get much friendlier once you make an attempt to speak their language, a perfectly understandable attitude on their part. I'm currently trying to learn some additional Spanish in preparation for my upcoming Western Caribbean cruise, I've always tried to pick up at least a few phrases of the local language in preparation for trips.

From when I was a kiddie on a trip to France to every business or leisure trip since.

Differences in culture abound regardless of language. Irish police are primarily unarmed, even during the height of the "troubles" as we called the extended period of terrorism originating from Northern Ireland. As a result any sight of guns as being commonplace is unusual to us.

I consider myself pretty well travelled and I worked for an American company for more than a decade. I worked with numerous colleagues from all corners of the states so I'm very familiar with American culture. I've probably been to more States than the vast majority of Americans.

My first trip to Ireland I expected horse-drawn carts and thatched roofs. I did see a lot of tinkers, now that I think about it.

The thatched roof fell out of fashion due to spiralling insurance costs and planning laws ;)

You'll find the horse drawn carts in Killarney, the horses have to wear nappies these days.

Still plenty of travellers around the country, a lot have settled but you'll see plenty of their encampments around the country.

Believe me when I say we're very aware of the Irish stereotypes, and those stereotypes differ with different nationalities. Most of continental Europeans think we don't speak any of their languages, everyone thought were still a highly conservative catholic insular country until we voted yes in same-sex referendum to change our constitution to allow it. And then we followed that up by our youngest ever Taoiseach being gay and the son of an immigrant. For folks that were only familiar with the stereotype those two events and the coverage of them internationally really upset them.

Currently we're contemplating a vote on the right to abortion likely next year while the still rabidly religious are busy pitching for a visit by the pope to Ireland.

One of the biggest frustrations I have is the continuing "stage Irish" accents as casting directors pick actors who haven't a clue about real Irish accents, and yes I said accentS. You can travel 10 miles between towns here and find the accent of the locals has changed drastically. I've about as neutral an Irish accent as is possible except when I curse and my culchie Clare accent comes out. The accent regularly produced by actors is from the 1800s!

The same thing has happened in the US, and in many other counties. Will you be cancelling your holiday plans here in the states because of similar incidents? The chances of being involved in a terrorist attack are much, much less than being involved in a car accident. Do you also never leave your house because of car accidents?

You are offended by the comment that Americans stereotype, yet you did exactly that by cancelling your trip to Turkey, a beautiful country filled with very friendly people.

Offended? No, I was dumb struck. Americans aren't anymore concerned (overly in your opinion) about safety than other parts of the world. We talked to many international travelers who changed their plans as a results of incidences all over the world, including the U.S.

My point wasn't that Americans aren't risk takers as you suggest by your scientific poll of an "American forum":rolleyes:. My point is that people always balance risk. As does the travelers in the rest of the world.

People, all over the world, base their decisions from experience and knowledge. But mostly from experience. Do middle easterners have more experience and knowledge of traveling through the middle east than American Cruisecritic posters? I-think-they-do. Visa-versa, common cruise critic posters have more experience and knowledge of local events and public trends.

Should young women all over the world looking to have children consider risk in active mosquito populated areas? (Disney World). Why don't you poll the American Travel forum for an unbiased opinion.

Forecast this weekend for our city is sleet and ice. How much accumulation they aren't saying yet, but do we risk waiting to see if our flight is delayed to Houston for our cruise? Or should we eat the cost of the airline tickets and drive down? What would the "American Stereotype" do?

Shesh,

Burt

When people talk about Parisians or the French being snobby, I wonder how recently they have been there, and what their attitude has been. My first trip to Paris was is 1986, and if I did not speak French, or at try, I would receive a lot of attitude. By the time the 2000s rolled around, when I would speak French, I would get responses back in English. In my experience, Parisians have become exponentially more friendly to tourists over the years.

In international travel, I've always found that learning a few words of the native language and being genuinely curious about the world and the way things are done in different places go a long way to a positive reception. When travelers insist on having everything the way it is where they are from, and are dismissive of the culture of the place they are visiting, that is an almost guaranteed recipe for friction.

:D

Growing up in the Military - and then serving 24 years myself - I have lived in nearly every country on the planet. I have been to Paris 7 times both as a child and as an adult. Never cared for it - but that's ME. Most people love the place. The last time I was in Paris, I was 27 years old and went with 3 other friends from Heidelberg, Germany.

We got incredibly drunk and were singing Beach Boys songs under the Eiffel Tower at like 3AM. A member of the local gens d'armes came by to move us on - and ended up singing with us. A couple of American tourists walked by shaking their heads. So, all in all - that was my best time in Paris.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. Would I go back? Probably not.

:D

Growing up in the Military - and then serving 24 years myself - I have lived in nearly every country on the planet. I have been to Paris 7 times both as a child and as an adult. Never cared for it - but that's ME. Most people love the place. The last time I was in Paris, I was 27 years old and went with 3 other friends from Heidelberg, Germany.

We got incredibly drunk and were singing Beach Boys songs under the Eiffel Tower at like 3AM. A member of the local gens d'armes came by to move us on - and ended up singing with us. A couple of American tourists walked by shaking their heads. So, all in all - that was my best time in Paris.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. Would I go back? Probably not.

I missed that one. Another stereotype for Americans. ;)

Nice screen name.