questions about teens on the Gem

I apologize in advance if this is in the files somewhere but my search showed "no such matchup". We are taking our teenage grandsons (13 & 16) on the GEM in April over their spring break. neither has ever cruised before and we have never taken kids on a cruise. Do you have to sign them up for the teen club? are they able to come and go as they want from it? What do you do in Port Canaveral?? Looked into going to space place but we don't get in port til 12-1 p.m. and it closes at 5. Is it worth it for that amount of time?? Obviously I am second guessing myself and concerned they will be occupied enough and have fun. I've never paid attention to events for kids/teens. Help!!!!

Hello for the price of tickets to Ksc I would say no.. there are some things to do in cocoa beach area. With limited time I would either take uber into cocoa beach area or go on the airboat tour.

Our area is mixed residential/touristy. The pier is a nice stop but over priced for food.. The sandbar is a local hot spot with good food however nightlife can get pretty rowdy.. RonJons store is a great way to kill time and do some shopping.. if you want to stay closer to port there are several restaurants and fishing excursions...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take them to the beach in port canaveral. Alternately we did the space center with our teens. Had a driver with a van waiting. We got to the space center within 30 minutes. Had a great time and he picked us up at 5. Total transport around $75 in 2011 for 5 of us.

The good thing was that we were off the ship by 12:15. Remember no ship to be cleared or customs etc However if you are late arriving and don't think it's enough time just cancel the ride. I never prepay and trust me the driver will get another fare

Then just get a taxi or ships shuttle to the beach or your originally booked driver.

Space center can easily be done from 1 to 5 especially when in your own. There are no lines for anything including buying tickets. You can even fit in the IMAX show. We did. Just check the schedule

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To answer your questions about the teen club, yes, you have to register for Entourage and they can come and go as they please. Our 16 year old boys have cruised for spring break the last 6 years and have never had a bad cruise. They love meeting new friends and hanging out with them for the week. Whether it's an organized event or just hanging out playing games, swimming,playing mini golf, going on the water slides or ropes course, there is plenty to keep them busy!

Yes, you have to sign them up on the first day, make sure they go the first night. I’ve been on four NCL cruises with teens, after the first night, the parents get ditched. They like the club, and just hanging out with their new friends, who they keep in touch with for years.

Your grandsons will have a great time. As others have posted, encourage them to go to the club the first night. Leave post-it notes for each other in the room, pick a set time to be ready for dinner so you can dine together, set a curfew which you are comfortable with and ask that they stay in public places (no visiting other cabins).

Look into surf lessons in Cocoa!