(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

Thanks for the info. If all goes to plan, by the time we take our next cruise, we would like to try either one of the Oasis ships or a new cruise line, definitely something bigger. Not that IOS is small or we weren't impressed with RCL, we just like to try new experiences.

I know you said you guys were doing DW this December- we had annual passes a couple years ago so I know lots has changed since we've been there, but the planning today is super important, perfect for planners like you;);). Make sure you get the really popular fastpasses at the 60-day mark, it helps a lot. I'm hoping to get back there sometime in the next year or two.

Yeah, you guys should try the Oasis class ship. It’s a new level of experience. I think you guys will enjoy it as I see you guys in many of our photos so that means we attend the similar entertainment venues so you should find plenty of things to do on the mega ships.

The RP will be much wider with people as well as having different neighborhoods that will keep your photographer brother happy.

Yes, we are looking at WDW as the holiday cruise price is crazy expensive and since we haven’t been to WDW since 2011, it’s time to make a pilgrimage to the house of mouse this winter. Of course, real life can always throw you a curve as no matter how much you plan, reality can change things but for now, that is what is on the schedule.

Thanks so much for the wonderful review of the Independence it was so beautifully written with so much class. We had just gotten off in February and enjoyed reliving our experiences. Our first on RCL after many Carnival cruises and what a difference in fact we booked the Allure for an October sailing. We appreciate the RCL board as people are not bullies here and do seem to help others who ask questions without the nastiness we have experienced on the CCL site. We did notice a difference in clientele and very pleased with our cruise. Thank you again for sharing and the excellent pictures.

Oh, thanks for the compliment. I know I don’t deserve the high praise.

Detail trip report – yes, my bean counter mentality is suited for the carpet bombing step by step approach in delivering the anal info some people crave.

“Written with so much class” – Haha, I don’t think I come close to that with all the butt references. Think many of my critics will argue that you should put “less” at the end of that phrase…;p

Very nice in booking Allure. I love the big mega ships. Don’t get me started on the big and round…

Have a great cruise on the Allure in October.

Harry - One heck of a review!! Enjoyed reading it. Pictures were awesome!!

I have one question Harry - Post 53 shows a nice spreadsheet with prices/cabins and such. Was wondering where could I get the some of that information? I'm planning a cruise later this year and that would very helpful.....

Thanks - Bill A.

PS - tried the email link from said post and was 'not valid' from my end??

Hi, Bill,

Thanks for the kind words.

These boards forbid mentioning of travel agents so I can’t talk about the name here. Many people like you have emailed me at my newly created email and I can provide the info there:

Cheapodad@Outlook.com

(OK, onward with the story line. I think I see the fat lady just taking center stage and is ready to let belt it out)

We headed back to the cabin to shower and put away all the clothes other than sleep clothes and bathroom stuff. I bought a portable digital weight scale to make sure we are under the 50 pound limit for each suit case as over planners such as us tend to over pack. There are always too many “just in case” stuff we bring but the just in scenarios seldom happens.

At any rate, all the suit cases are 45 pounds or under as we reshuffle some things around as not to overburden one suitcase versus another. Since we have 4, it was easy to move things around.

enhance

As you can see, I got the group 1 tag since we had a booked a tour. I will talk in detail on the “As you Depart” on day 10 as it’s more relevant there. But do want to point out that I downloaded the Mobile Passport app before we left home and I completed that info prior to getting off the ship as to get into the shorter line.

enhance

So after showering and packing, we made the walk to the theater for the farewell show.

Walking pass the Schooner Bar

enhance

enhance

The final show has the comedian. For my entertainment value, I prefer comedy over Broadway shows. But that is just personal preference.

The guy is pretty funny by my standards, but not everyone in our group agrees. Again, subjective grading on comedy. He has the typical cruise related jokes.

Here is one joke I still remember:

He was walking by the elevator the other night and saw a guy sitting there crying. He asked what happened and the guy told him that in order to remember where his cabin was, he put a Garfield sticker at the door but now that somebody stole the sticker, he can’t find his cabin anymore. So he is now sleeping in the elevator area instead. But the good thing is that at least he knows what day of the week it is…

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

After the comedy show, they had the singers and dancers come out to do a number and then the selective crew members from various departments come out to say goodbyes.

I have always liked this as it’s different than a land vacation where you have people coming in and out of the hotels. But on a cruise, there is a more set start and stop point. Anything that is different, I tend to appreciate as I want to feel like I am paying for something that I can’t get on other types of vacations.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Spotted our cabin steward in the middle holding the penguin - similar to what he did for our cabin. He wasn't a very good cabin steward in not filling the liquid soaps or providing the hard bar soap more frequently or even friendly. But I certainly wouldn't say that is a reflection on the whole ship's crew

enhance

These boards forbid mentioning of travel agents so I can’t talk about the name here. Many people like you have emailed me at my newly created email and I can provide the info there:

Cheapodad@Outlook.com

Understood - email sent - Thanks for taking the time to help not only myself,, but everyone!!!

Bill A.

Just sent the reply. Your original email was classified as "spam" by the software so that's why I didn't see it in order to reply. You should have the info now.

As I had been discussing with Brandon on the difference between Indy and Freedom, I had remembered the farewell event was more elaborate on the Freedom and I went back and checked. Sure enough, they had more officers dressed in dark uniform coming onto the stage and also had streamers. Didn’t see that on the Indy.

Check out the streamers on the Freedom's farewell event and officers on deck

enhance

enhance

After the comedy show, they had the singers and dancers come out to do a number and then the selective crew members from various departments come out to say goodbyes.

I have always liked this as it’s different than a land vacation where you have people coming in and out of the hotels. But on a cruise, there is a more set start and stop point. Anything that is different, I tend to appreciate as I want to feel like I am paying for something that I can’t get on other types of vacation.

A little off-topic question- my son loves the "Until we Meet Again" song usually performed at the Farewell Show, as it was on this sailing (you can Youtube it for reference)...and in fact, he asks me to play it from YouTube at least daily since this cruise December still! In my online searches of the song, I haven't come across one from an Oasis class ship yet, and our upcoming trip will be on Allure...anyone know if this is performed there?? Thanks!

Just sent the reply. Your original email was classified as "spam" by the software so that's why I didn't see it in order to reply. You should have the info now.

Got The INFO!!! Thanks Harry!! and may all your cruises be AWESOME!!!

Bill A.

Aw, last night sads.

Also made a mental note to visit the Arches park in winter!

I just did a quick search for Arches NP in the snow. It'll be a different set of challenge to get there in winter

https://www.google.com/search?q=arches+national+park+snow&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOq9iVtsDZAhVU_oMKHSP2B50QsAQIRw&biw=1920&bih=949#imgrc=CbkCnurYAqLiXM:

A little off-topic question- my son loves the "Until we Meet Again" song usually performed at the Farewell Show, as it was on this sailing (you can Youtube it for reference)...and in fact, he asks me to play it from YouTube at least daily since this cruise December still! In my online searches of the song, I haven't come across one from an Oasis class ship yet, and our upcoming trip will be on Allure...anyone know if this is performed there?? Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the song so it didn't stick to my mind. Did you search the name of the song and add in Allure or Oasis or Harmony? That might get some hits

My younger one got the pasta and as soon as it arrived, he looked at it and said “that’s it?” Guessing that’s not enough for a growing teenager so Jesus went and got him an extra order of lamb chops similar to what many of us got.

If you get this pasta dish, make sure you get a backup dish of something else

enhance

enhance

enhance

After the main courses, the waiters did their typical goodbye song. As always, I like these events that you only see on cruises and not on land restaurants. Makes me feel like I am on a cruise and things are not the same as being on road trips or any restaurants back home.

enhance

Here's Simona on her waiter parade walking pass us

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

My wife took this picture as we all had the same dessert/same color shirt so it’s lined up. For those that read my Freedom report, it’s the same polo shirt we wore at Cozumel.

enhance

enhance

As always, we take a picture with our wait staff at the end of every cruise when we say Goodbye to them. They are the ship staff that you typically have the most contact with on a cruise. Unless you eat at WJ on all your meals, then maybe your cabin steward would be your main ship employee contact.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Last visit to the crazy aunt locked in basement to make sure she is ok as we are departing in the morning (aka visit to photo store). Buy your pictures early as you can see the place becomes a zoo late on last night of the cruise.

Since the brother in law bought the package, he was supposed to go there at 10 PM on last night to get his pictures but I guess the photo place is swamped and told him to come back at 7 AM the next day instead.

enhance

So we said good night and good bye to the brother in law and his family as they are flying back to SF tomorrow from FLL while we are flying back from MIA. The reason for that is the airfare for return flight on a New Year Eve weekend is crazy expensive, running at the minimum of $500/pp one way from Florida airports back to CA.

So I was forced to cash in my American Airline miles for 3 seats in order to save $1,500. But that meant we had to fly back from MIA. But at least the flight is direct from MIA to SFO.

At the last night of the cruise, I finally remember to take a picture of our bed. I really dislike RCI's older ocean view cabins. Placing the bed next to the window - really? I have to crawl on my knees to look outside the window? Who the hell designed this? The new ship's lay out is similar to Carnival in having space by the window to walk up and see.

For us, we prefer the RP rooms as they are bigger windows and they have TWO sofas where you can sit. There is only one tiny sofa chair to sit in the OV cabins as we got the connecting rooms. But with RP you get TWO sofas even if you had connecting rooms. This lay out sucks.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Workers loading up the luggage

enhance

We put out 4 outside by 11 PM (see Disney influence on our luggage?)

enhance

As this is last picture of the day, this concludes the day 9 trip report.

No, the trip report isn't finished yet. We still have to get off the ship and have tour of Miami. When I read other trip reports, people get tired of writing by last day of the cruise and then on the day this disembark, they just gloss over things quickly in a paragraph - we got up early, self disembark, got taxi, went to airport and went home. Thanks for reading. Goodbye.

Ehhh? Anal people like myself need to know how you get off the ship and what you did. So I won't leave the newbie cruisers hanging like that. My trip reports are always airport to airport. It will start at SFO (or another bay area airport) and end at SFO. When you see another picture of SFO, then you know the fat lady has sang her last note and the party's over. We are not quite there yet...

Harryfat,

You write, bar none, the absolute BEST trip reports on Cruise Critic. I have read all of your reports, and now I have none left to read. Bwaaaaa 😭.

Looking forward to your posts for the remaining part of your trip.

Thank you, and your family, for taking us on this fabulous journey.

Pat