(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

We showered and changed into the formal clothes. This is the 3rd formal night – one more than the official web site since they added Christmas Day as a formal night.

The entertainer tonight is a Celine Dion impersonator. She’s pretty good if you like Celine Dion songs. Her other non-Celine songs were just ok.

What better song than this for a cruise that feature Celine’s music? Many people know the famous pose at the 3.07 mark

We were a tad late getting out the cabin and sat upstairs to the side as we thought the place would be packed but after we sat down and looked at the empty seats below, we could have went downstairs instead.

enhance

enhance

Those Cafe Promenade desserts might explain why Indy is my in-laws favorite ship.

Love Cafe Promenade.

Especially for cheapo dads, what better thing in life than just walk up to place, point and they give you the food for no money out of your pocket? And then turn around to get the free coffee and tea right behind you. How much would that cost for a family of 4 if you were walking around downtown of any major city and want some afternoon coffee and snack?

The hardest thing is the day you get off the ship and you head for the airport to fly home. The crappy dessert that you wouldn't even give a second look while at WJ or cafe promenade now sells for $7 per slice at the airport. Welcome back to the real world...

As with the typical last formal night, tonight’s theme is Jasmine but most people will just remember it as lobster night.

enhance

enhance

Now comparing the pure number of options on the old menu versus the new menu, I count 11 options on the starter and main course (including classics). But on the new menu that Canadian 1 posted on #1233, there are only 8 choices per category. So it seems to me they shrunk the menu to limit your options.

Now comparing the pure number of options on the old menu versus the new menu, I count 11 options on the starter and main course (including classics). But on the new menu that Canadian 1 posted on #1233, there are only 8 choices per category. So it seems to me they shrunk the menu to limit your options.

As many have lamented, it's cost cutting by cheapo RCL. Keep's cheapo Dad's cruise fare down :D

As for foreign doctors, can't afford them. I would think these emergency related stops are not cheap if you don't have travel insurance (I typically don't buy these).

I'm surprised to hear this! I didn't think anyone went on vacation without travel insurance.

As many have lamented, it's cost cutting by cheapo RCL. Keep's cheapo Dad's cruise fare down :D

I guess so but the cost differential in food substitution shouldn't be that high.

For example, if I want escargot but they don't have it, I won't just skip ordering a starter, I will just order something else instead, like shrimp. So if RCI saves any money, it would only be the difference in cost of snail versus shrimp.

As for having more options on the menu, it's same concept. If I want cold soup and they don't have it, I will just order hot soup. Not sure the big cost savings on that. I think the savings is on time for them to only have to track 8 menu items instead of 11.

I'm surprised to hear this! I didn't think anyone went on vacation without travel insurance.

I did a quick Google search and I found this that quotes a national survey where only 21% of the people buy travel insurance.

https://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/national-travel-insurance-survey-results-who-buys-it-and-is-it-worth-it/

I ordered double lobster and the waiter basically brought out another plate with at least 5 lobsters on it after we ate the first one and dropped them into the plates whoever else wanted extra lobsters.

Most of us had 2 lobsters each. My older one gobbled up three. Growing teenager needs to eat, right?

Head waiter does his one task in coming by every table that ordered lobsters to help them take the lobster out of the shell. Only the first one, though. You are on your own if you order multiple lobsters.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

As for having more options on the menu, it's same concept. If I want cold soup and they don't have it, I will just order hot soup. Not sure the big cost savings on that. I think the savings is on time for them to only have to track 8 menu items instead of 11.

The savings realized by reducing menu choices are in the kitchen and purchasing. Larger quantities of fewer items can lead to price reductions. As can judicious ingredient selection. In the kitchen less labour is required as making a larger quantity of one item requires less work than making two different recipes. There can also be a bit of savings due to lower wastage.

The savings realized by reducing menu choices are in the kitchen and purchasing. Larger quantities of fewer items can lead to price reductions. As can judicious ingredient selection. In the kitchen less labour is required as making a larger quantity of one item requires less work than making two different recipes. There can also be a bit of savings due to lower wastage.

Good points. Thanks for the insights.

Another traditional cruise dessert - baked Alaska. Well, at least the more simple current version. The old days were much fancier in their presentation. My son got this.

enhance

I got double dessert tonight.

More soufflé along with the ice cream. Yeah, I eat a lot on the cruise. Go ahead and judge me, see if I care. What’s my screen name again? Oh yeah…

enhance

enhance

enhance

We celebrated a birthday for the older niece. They came and sang

enhance

As it’s the last formal night, we walked around all the photo stations and took more family pictures (remember the brother in law bough the all-inclusive photo package thing so he tried to get in front of every photographer he sees).

We also went to visit the crazy aunt locked in the basement to see if she had enough to eat since we were well fed for the formal night (aka visiting the photo place). We wanted to check on all the photos that were on display as of that night as we know by day 9 (last day), the photo area will be zoo crazy with tons of people so we wanted to make sure we picked out pictures we wanted.

We also walked around taking various family photos since we were all dressed up but I know nobody cares to see those so I won’t upload them.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Does the red dog have a name?

enhance

had to do a bokeh shot

enhance

So the last set of towel animals as it’s another “even day”.

They have a reminder to change the clock back tonight before going to bed so we gained back the one hour we lost in going down.

By far the least number of pictures today. Pretty boring by my book. I’m just not a sea day type of guy. Can’t see myself doing TA or even going to/from Hawaii to California. Two sea days in a row is the max for me before I get really bored.

This concludes day 8

enhance

enhance

We gain back the one hour lost from end of day 3

enhance

I did a quick Google search and I found this that quotes a national survey where only 21% of the people buy travel insurance.

https://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/national-travel-insurance-survey-results-who-buys-it-and-is-it-worth-it/

Apparently in Canada it's around 50%. Very surprising! I'm actually covered by my work benefits, as are most full time professionals in Canada. Which might explain the higher rate of coverage here, actually.

Day 9 – December 29, 2017

Last Sea Day

Time to Say Goodbye. I always use this song/video for my last day on my trip reports. I love this song although it does sadden me the same time.

Officially it’s not the last day of the vacation as we have a full day on the ship and part of day 10 in Miami but today is technically the day we say goodbye to the workers so I am using this song.

As I mentioned Vegas in this trip report, it's only fitting to use the Bellagio fountain video: