How to be stylish with a broken foot!

Coolmama_1

Okay.. I fractured my foot in 2 places and have a badly sprained ankle so now I am in a boot up to my knee. I only need to take left shoes. I have a gold carwash pants outfit and one in silver. Do you think little ballet flats in silver and gold would work? I can't wear strappy sandals or get a pedicure before I go:(

from one Judy to another Judy --

Sorry about the fractures and sprain. Ouch. If you are able to walk with the boot, make sure that the height of your shoe is even with the height of the boot. You will be able to walk easier that way. If you are totally non-weight bearing, then it doesn't matter. Just be careful with your other foot!!

--Judy

Broke my foot 3 months ago...walked on it a month (after 2 visits to 2 drs) without knowing it was broken! Had the "boot" for 5 weeks, then told it was better, still swelling so now in a cast (sailing 12/30/05 for NY Eve!) I agree, try and find a shoe that matches the level of the boot..and, don't do what I did...stay in it as long as the Dr. tells you to..even if it feels better and doesn't hurt! It takes a long time to heal! The Dr. told me to get a cane when I got the cast...that is a help considering the excess weight of that foot when going up stairs etc...you can buy one at the drugstore...would suggest that too! Good luck...let me know if you need any more ideas from the other "walking wounded"! LuAnn

After five major surgeries on my crushed right foot I spent many months in a boot. I know how uncomfortable and clumsy they feel. However, I can tell you, with the benifit of hindsight, be careful with your feet. And I do mean both of them.

In my experience the most important issue was to feel balanced. When your foot is immobilized you are off balance. When you are onboard a ship, the motion will make you feel more off balance. You need to compensate.

I really dislike heavy shoes. I wore ballet flats. They look nice and are stable. I would also use a cane while onboard. The way to use a cane, just in case you don't already know this, is to hold in in the hand that is opposite the foot that is booted. That way you get the proper balance. Also make sure it is adjusted to the right height or you will be off balance.

Have a great cruise. I hope you heal quickly and heal well. I alsohope your pain is minimal to nonexistant.

Also, remember, people will not really be concerned about what you are wearing on your foot. They will be more concerned about you and your comfort and safety.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

Oh, I feel your pain...broken ankle, etc. in August... still healing but just started wearing real shoes again (yay!) I got back from my cruise a week ago and ended up having to wear the boot most evenings as we had a lot of motion and I needed the extra stability. I didn't use a cane, but I was farther along in my recovery. Plus, I used my DH's arm for extra stability as needed! ;) I wore one beaded black leather flat or one beaded sandal - check DSW or MJM Shoes, if you have these in your area. I got a deal on some flats at MJM that I almost bought online. Also check zappos.com as they have free shipping and returns. I bought my sandals from zappos and now they are 50% less! :( So, you find some great deals that I missed out on! If you already have the ballet flats, they would look lovely also.

Everyone onboard was really nice - making room to allow me to walk by and asking if I needed anything, and I just told everyone thanks for the concern. When I wore my black silk evening pants, most people didn't even notice the boot, though!

Sorry about your foot. Make sure to let yourself be taken care of so you can heal quickly! Most of all, relax, be careful, and have a great time!

Sorry to hear about the injury. Noone wants to cruise with a boot on. If I had insurance, I would probably cancel and rebook after the boot is off and the foot healed. If you don't have insurance, the cruise may be booked and the cruiseline may let you cancel or postpone.

From a guys standpoint, we are not all that observant. It doesn't matter what kind of shoes you wear. We would probably notice the boot and then thing nothing of it. Treat yourself to a beautiful necklace or diamond tennis bracelet to take the focus off your foot. This will most likely make you feel good as well. If you don't want to spend the money on the jewelry (heck, I know I wouldn't want to. Once again a guys opinion) then get a really nice looking cz one instead. Most people, especially us guys wouldn't know it was CZ.

Sorry to hear about the injury. Noone wants to cruise with a boot on. If I had insurance, I would probably cancel and rebook after the boot is off and the foot healed. If you don't have insurance, the cruise may be booked and the cruiseline may let you cancel or postpone.

From a guys standpoint, we are not all that observant. It doesn't matter what kind of shoes you wear. We would probably notice the boot and then thing nothing of it. Treat yourself to a beautiful necklace or diamond tennis bracelet to take the focus off your foot. This will most likely make you feel good as well. If you don't want to spend the money on the jewelry (heck, I know I wouldn't want to. Once again a guys opinion) then get a really nice looking cz one instead. Most people, especially us guys wouldn't know it was CZ.

Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to pass it on to my husband!:) As far as cancelling the cruise, we do have insurance but my parents and brother and sil are also going. Not sure we could pull this off again.

Thanks to all about the use of a cane. I do use crutches some, but hadn't thought about the sway of the ship. I have been wearing a tennis shoe because I was concerned about non skid sole and no heal.

I was first told by my doctor to get a cane to walk...but no one told me how to do that...I now know based on my questions..but many people don't/won't query there health care professionals like that! Thanks for sharing!!! LuAnn

After five major surgeries on my crushed right foot I spent many months in a boot. I know how uncomfortable and clumsy they feel. However, I can tell you, with the benifit of hindsight, be careful with your feet. And I do mean both of them.

In my experience the most important issue was to feel balanced. When your foot is immobilized you are off balance. When you are onboard a ship, the motion will make you feel more off balance. You need to compensate.

I really dislike heavy shoes. I wore ballet flats. They look nice and are stable. I would also use a cane while onboard. The way to use a cane, just in case you don't already know this, is to hold in in the hand that is opposite the foot that is booted. That way you get the proper balance. Also make sure it is adjusted to the right height or you will be off balance.

Have a great cruise. I hope you heal quickly and heal well. I alsohope your pain is minimal to nonexistant.

Also, remember, people will not really be concerned about what you are wearing on your foot. They will be more concerned about you and your comfort and safety.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

Archived