Best on-island snorkelling?

Canadian Cruiser98

We're going to Bonaire in March, and along with the short on-land tour we're doing, we were hoping to get some snorkelling in, as we've heard Bonaire's snorkelling is spectacular. Woodwind came highly recommended, but unfortunately upon contacting them it appears that they're sold out for the date we're there.

Although Klein Bonaire does look really neat, there's someone in our party who's a little less comfortable with the idea, so I think going on our own without a tour guide who knows what they're doing might be too much for that family member.

That being said, what are the best spots to snorkel off the main island? We are beginners, so we're not looking for anything too challenging. Are there any really good tour companies for this besides Woodwind?

Try Seacow. We snorkelled with them in December (it was a ship excursion but I think they do private too). Crew was the best ever-highly recommend them.

They do a drift snorkel-so you snorkel and the boat drifts to the end for you to get back on. Hope this link works.

http://www.seacow-bonaire.com/

After emailing Seacow, apparently we're only able to book through the cruise line, which is a bit steep for us at almost 100$ Canadian per person. Are there any beaches off of mainland Bonaire which are recommended for snorkelling, which we might be able to do on a lighter budget?

Thanks for your help!

There are several places (to the South of town) that have pretty good snorkel places accessible from the shore. But the beaches (if there is a beach) and entries are not for the inexperienced snorkeler. And you would need your own equipment and transportation (be it a golf card or rental car). Having gone out on the Woodwind (4 or 5 times) and also snorkeled several of the southern areas (accessible from shore) I would have to recommend taking a snorkel tour/excursion that uses a boat. But if you do have some experience snorkeling in the open sea, and have your own equipment, then renting a golf cart (which costs around $90) can get you access to a number of places. The rental company will give you a decent island map with the best snorkel spots clearly marked Because these snorkel spots are well out of town, and not accessible by public transit, you do need some kind of vehicle. A taxi makes no sense since you would have to hire one for several hours (which is expensive)....since you would not find a return taxi at these locations (which are generally from the airport area and south).

Hank

Rented a golf cart from Bonaire cruisers a couple weeks ago and we loved it. Got to see the island and did some amazing snorkeling at 1000 steps which is about 25 minutes from the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the input! We ended up going with a tour with Compass Sailing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you've found someone! Let us know how it goes. Have a wonderful time! We were on the ABC Islands in December and loved them and can hardly wait to return.

• 3 weeks later...