Tell me about Poetto Beach in Cagliari....

MaiTaiMary

We are just looking for something easy, laid back, and inexpensive for our stop in Cagliari. What is the beach area at Poetto like? How far is it from the cruise terminal and what would be the best way to get there?

There is a boardwalk we can walk down and stop at a restaurant? We will be there at the end of April, so I'm assuming it will be too cold to go in the ocean.

Any other tips or thoughts on this area?

Thanks. :)

It's a lovely wide sandy beach with bars and restaurants behind it and well worth a visit (you can find plenty of images on Google). Both times we've been to Cagliari it was during the season and there was a bus to Poetta right outside the terminal building which only cost a few euros. The beach is about 15-20 minutes drive from the terminal building.

However, April is pretty early in the season so not sure whether the bus will be running then or how many of the beach bars will be open - there are still restaurants in the beach area though so you would have no problem getting lunch, and the tourist info would be able to advise you where to get a local bus (which had been our plan the first time, until we saw the local shuttle bus at the pier) - or take a cab which shouldn't be too expensive.

One thing worth pointing out it that it can be very (unbearably) windy at Poetta, so take note of the weather when you arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

It is a few years since we went to Cagliari but I seem to remember that we went on a Monday and museums were closed.

We enjoyed the port because it was only a short walk from the ship into town. It is not really answering your question, but, we just walked up until we got to a nice view point - and we enjoyed the view. We then came back into town and had a drink. We may well have had a quick dip (not in Poetta beach because we did not need to get on a bus) but we also stopped in Corsica and the two ports have sort of morphed into one.

I wish that the Epic would call into Sardinia and/or Corsica because I recall them being my favourite stops. You don't have all the effort of having to get somewhere nice on your day in Port (like Civitavecchia, Livorno and Marseille).