Crown Princess ABC islands Jan 12 to 20, 2018

Bimmer09

I can't say with certainty, but it sure looks like you captured one of the elusive "Chair Hogs" in this picture...The sun has barely risen and someone has already marked their territory with a towel on the back of a chair.

Well-spotted Chris.

Norris who saw the same thing at the Lotus Spa pool

Such a great idea-not even found on Celebrity-a pop out airline tray for your drinks! Sadly skipped on the Royal Class where you have to hold a glass of ice or beer for the length of a performance. Brainless cost-cutting. Now the trick is catching the eye of the roving bartender who stares at the ceiling...

39111635155_9d1b04ab93_b.jpg

The impressive sound mixing desk and amplifier set-up. No expense spared!

39111642195_56ec017724_b.jpg

The exit

39300135494_8786df1be4_b.jpg

At @ 700 seats and two shows a night it is too small for the potential 3,000 people who might want to see a show.

• Like 1

Breakfast was calling me. We always arranged to meet at the dining room as we came from different parts of the ship. The goal was to meet here....

39300521584_42ae1479bd_b.jpg

I walked to midships and took the stairs down to 6

40009595701_1c594bb567_b.jpg

The Piazza

28230957719_a7f008eda9_b.jpg

Some of the Tivoli lights are blown out. Fix it!

39112049465_d07c0324f6_b.jpg

39300520104_1bdca9a722_b.jpg

Waiting for Carol on deck 6

25139159387_20ba7535ff_b.jpg

Breakfast in Da Vinci is something we'd love to have everyday of the week in our lives. We had a different table and server each day. Today we had our best breakfast server of the week by the name of Jelena, pictured as she goes about her work. Very warm, welcoming and efficient. Constantly on the move, running her own tight ship.

26137299008_ef6301594c_b.jpg

No butter controversy here

39978247702_6b0475a75a_b.jpg

Fueling up for another lazy day

39300528214_680c504559_b.jpg

Does Tradewinds offer fresh brewed coffee in the morning? "The ship provides a coffee and tea station up here from 6 a.m to 9 and a steward is always standing by to assist and refill."

No. It's taken from the buffet.

I have had the fresh brewed from the IC and it's not worth the detour (for me).

I found it weak.

Norris

Carol (who reads the Patter) had a fruit and vegetable carving show to attend this morning in the Piazza and she got there half an hour early to get a good seat. I stopped by when it was underway.

39302847654_e6d9d59e53_b.jpg

I was up in Crooners taking photos and video

25141456327_01c975cf04_b.jpg

26139612458_e1064df1b9_b.jpg

Three chefs are carving simultaneously

40012087971_cfd38e4782_b.jpg

More...

When it was over the audience was invited to come forward to take photographs

39981140332_16f71eb6f5_b.jpg

Carol is sitting at left, dressed in black

39981159962_f1b95a048d_b.jpg

Here is the video I shot at this very popular event

NBS_nN8nH5M

Norris

Carol stayed put in her Piazza seat and saw the Martini Demonstration hosted by Corey Moir.

She doesn't drink alcohol besides champagne, Prosecco and Bellinis but she was happy she stayed and told me enthusiastically later about the bartenders' juggling, balancing and pouring skills like it was a Cirque du Soleil act. Sorry I missed it! It sounded like the Celebrity Martini bartenders on steroids. I have never tasted a Martini but maybe I should just for the theater of the pour. Any recommendations? I know there is an Espresso Martini and maybe that's where I should start?

Meanwhile I had taken my computer (MacBook) up to Tradewinds to relax with a beverage while working on my Fort Lauderdale photos in the shade. I came back from the cruise with a tan but none of it was gained by sitting in the sun-it was all from walking around in the ports.

The ports! Yes! Tomorrow we would be in Willemstad, Curacao (pronounced as I say it on the next video-Kura Sow as in the female pig.)

Sunday and that means NFL games on the big MUTS screen and I must have seen 50 people in Pittsburg Steelers shirts, displaying the number and name of their favored player. Some of my early morning smoking buddies were dressed thus. Psyched for the game! I don't attach myself to any team, not since I had season tickets for the NY Jets back in the late 1980's. I do appreciate the game though when it watch it but these days that is basically the Superbowl, whereas, living in Jersey I could watch 12 hours of the game on TV on a Sunday.

25154330627_b13a2f3119_b.jpg

Sunning themselves on a lazy Sunday before the game

25154344587_0252ba4313_b.jpg

40024952301_2ff25e6992_b.jpg

25154406027_28149f27bf_b.jpg

The game is now underway although you can't hear it back where I am at the Neptune Pool, which is one of the great Grand Class features, abandoned on the Royal Class. I get up from time to time to check the seas ahead...

40024962291_176ce07474_b.jpg

That doesn't look too good. The First Officer comes on the PA to warn of rain ahead

We are passionate Prom Deck people. It's the closest we can get to the sea on a ship as she glides along hour after hour guided by a computer on the bridge. It's 1300 miles from Florida to our ports and we have a schedule to keep. People walk this deck for exercise and to indulge their eyes and ears and nose. That salty air and spray. Works havoc on the metal parts of the ship that lose their paint. Yes the Crown is 11 years old and due for a dry dock. Rust Never Sleeps. The Crown has plenty of deck chairs and teak benches if you want to sit out here and relax.

Norris

We also love the view and the sound of the sea, from the promenade deck!

I thought about booking a Carnival ship that has the cove balconies. They are so close to the water! I don't know how they stay dry!

Loving your review with all of the detail and beautiful pictures! Thank you!

Kathy

You do like your Dylan don't you Norris

Robert

Indeed I did Rob, from the first album until John Wesley Harding when I cooled off. We have seen him twice this century and both times I walked out. If he no longer cares about his songs then nor do I. I saw him in May 1966 for the first time. But I was so much older then...

I wish him well for all he did for me 50 years ago.

Norris

The rain didn't last long but it was enough to clear the decks for a while. I joined Carol for Afternoon Tea in the Sanctuary at 3. Our loungers were dry as were all those under the metal overhang but others had had to flee to their cabins.

Naps were had in our stateroom (sounds more posh than cabin) but of course I didn't want to miss a sunset, should there be one and I was back up at Tradewinds as evening approached.

There was a new game on MUTS. Pittsburg lost the earlier game but luckily no one cast themselves into the sea in remorse. It was fun while the sun shone. You win some you lose some.

39993473812_b9b0f245bb_b.jpg

26152144978_47cc0ee556_b.jpg

Don't let the sun go down on me

26152151108_49ceaa90e8_b.jpg

The sun is going down as you can see from the pink in the clouds astern of the ship. I am keeping my head on a swivel (from Amazon.com) to make sure I get the sun when it meets my specifications.

One of my morning buddies sits in his #86 Steelers jersey watching the Vikings game with his wife

39993493422_d5cc886d1f_b.jpg

Looking back at Tradewinds and the Neptune Pool

39993497452_0180c5ab2f_b.jpg

The decks will soon empty out, leaving only the MUTS audience as night draws in. People enjoy a last soak in the hot tubs.

39315383744_7422ac0d63_b.jpg

The Deck Stewards have long since stacked the loungers

28245995739_473ab04b1d_b.jpg

28245938089_65fea3b869_b.jpg

39993470462_5c561d7a4b_b.jpg

25154429567_f82f525f5e_b.jpg

Dinner and a show lies ahead (as it does most nights) so it's time to say bye bye to deck 16 until tomorrow-or is it? Nope-we will pass this way later tonight to join Corey for his Stargazing show!

We also love the view and the sound of the sea, from the promenade deck!

I thought about booking a Carnival ship that has the cove balconies. They are so close to the water! I don't know how they stay dry!

Loving your review with all of the detail and beautiful pictures! Thank you!

Kathy

Kathy, welcome and thanks for the kind words!

Great to have you onboard.

Norris

Devouring your review Norris -- as I have all of your previous reviews. I usually just lurk and enjoy your narrative and photos from the sidelines. But that crooked candle in the centre candelabrum is driving me nuts! :)

Can't wait to read what comes next though. Thanks for sharing your trips and wit with us over the years.

John, thanks for not lurking this time!

Yes it has been years now, since my first CC posts. I think this is review number 14 since our first Princess cruise on the Coral in August 2011, including the Princess/Celebrity comparison.

Thanks for reading them!

Norris

Thank you for the great review, we are on the Crown in Feb 10, 2018 for the same ABC cruise. My Wife and i are looking forward to it, as it's been 2 years since our last cruise. One questions, does the crown have video on demand / movies on demand like the Regal? Thanks in advance and keep on cruising.

Welcome, but I can't actually answer your question re video on demand as I never turn the TV on unless it is to see the bridge cam or the route map. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Norris

Sorry Norris, I'm very late to this party!

I noticed that you like Top Chef and Stephen Colbert, love them both!

I had to cancel our cruise to the Caribbean, sniff! :(:mad: Instead, my husband was hospitalized for 18 days! So, i have to live vicariously!

Looking forward to more!

Nina I am very happy to see you here, late or no.

I am sorry to hear about your husband in hospital for so long and I hope he is fit and well as I write. Hopefully you have both planned a makeup cruise for the future.

Best wishes to you both.

Norris

Well! A right slip up here as I thought the review had just started! I am going to have to note dates down. Still, lovely to read through 12 pages in one go����

Bonjour! Nice to see you in a Norris review again!

12 pages all at once? I haven't even done that yet. I go back and read it when it's finished and too late to fix anything.

C'est la vie!

Norris

Does the Wheelhouse serve the Fish and Chips ?

what days?

thx

on the Crown the 23rd :)

Yes and on this cruise with its total of 4 sea days it was served on the Saturday (first sea day) and Friday (last sea day). They have Heinz malt vinegar for the "chips". Served scalding hot.

Enjoy your cruise on this fine ship!

Norris