Crown Princess ABC islands Jan 12 to 20, 2018

Bimmer09

Hi, and thanks for the kind comments on the photos!

The four cameras I was referring to are shown below....

26824055799_37f4a82cc2_b.jpg

The one on the Manfrotto tripod at left is my main camera-a new Canon 6D MkII released end of July 2017. I had been hankering for a Full Frame camera for almost a year and rented a Canon 6D for my Celebrity Reflection cruise January 2017. I wanted one after that but was in no hurry, then in March there was a rumor that an upgraded 6D was in development and I waited and read as much as I could (a lot of it negative from people who didn't own the camera) but the price was right and lenses are where it's best to spend the money, so I have two L Lenses which cost 4 figures each. The camera I use for zooms (55 to 250 mm but on a crop body giving me 88 to 400mm effectively) is the Canon T3i, shown on the table. It is not Full Frame but gets a good result with the L Lenses. The 55 to 250 lens shown is not an L Lens so is weak in comparison to the other two lenses. When I can afford a 70 to 400mm L Lens I will leave this camera at home or trade it and the 3 lenses I have for it in via Amazon.

The two video cameras I used at sail away were a GoPro Hero 3 attached to the balcony railing. I use it as a back-up while I am working the other 3 cameras and shot some underwater stuff in Bonaire with it-which I haven't seen yet. For the sailaway video which is coming up soon after the photos I used the Sony camcorder hand-held. My other two cameras are a pocket Canon and an iPhone 5.

I bought a really good camera to get better photos, especially in the dark as I love night time photos and the challenge they bring and I can never blame the camera for a crappy photo- I am learning to take better photos but it's not an overnight thing. I don't use auto as I want to use my brain, not the camera's. I am at an age where I want to use my brain and that is why I try to learn new languages when I go abroad to Europe. I have taken photography lessons on the web (not free in some cases) from a wonderful teacher called Mike Browne on Youtube. He's a jolly, witty, self-effacing,down to Earth Brit which strikes a chord with me-and he knows his stuff. Check him out. I use Lightroom on every photo as I always shoot in RAW, not JPEGS.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Norris

Fantastic info, I understand about using your brain and not the cameras. Point and shoot is easy, but not really your picture! Thanks for all the info and for pointing me to Mike Browne, I will have to check him out. You are a very nice resource to people you don't even know and I thank you for that!

We have passed the P.E. Webcam location and have completed our waving for the camera.

25004315927_a8f898fdb7_b.jpg

26002459808_c0acbf02c4_b.jpg

26002470028_2df9650c10_b.jpg

The Marriott is the 2nd structure from the left

25004337567_406b83637b_b.jpg

Carol's gone to sea and she loves to do that! It's her 13th cruise since August 2011

38976619755_5b29a8903b_b.jpg

Norris,

I am very late to the party! I wish I had taken a picture of my computer when I was watching your sail away. My bad. Along for the ride as always.

Trip

I am loving your review! Thank you so much. We are sailing on the Crown in 3 weeks and are really looking forward to each and every one of your posts. Just a goofy tip: Ropes become lines on a vessel. It's kind of like when people call a ship a boat.

Still waiting for the mooring ropes to be dropped in the water and hauled aboard. It's already 4 pm and I'm itching to get moving. I call the bridge and ask to speak to the Captain. "Wassup?" he says. "Dude, let's go!" say I.

"OK, I'm on it!" and the last rope drops.

We're also sailing in March ( and also sailed in November, '17)

Question to OP - what is the early morning bar open for bloody marys, mimosas ?:cool:

Hi Voljeep, the earliest bar to open is Calypso under the MUTS screen at 6.00 a.m, then Crooners and Tradewinds at 9.00 a.m.

Norris

Fabulous pictures, as always, Norris!!! You sure know how to make a review come alive!!! Thank you for all your hard work. Can't wait for more!!

Cheers,

Tracy

I'm glad you like the pictures Tracy! I am having fun learning the camera and how to take better pictures. It helps to have so much worth photographing.

Norris

Fantastic info, I understand about using your brain and not the cameras. Point and shoot is easy, but not really your picture! Thanks for all the info and for pointing me to Mike Browne, I will have to check him out. You are a very nice resource to people you don't even know and I thank you for that!

I surfed a lot of photographers on youtube over the past two years and Mike is the best teacher there is. He isn't a gear head and he speaks in plain understandable language-but you'll find that out for yourself from video 1. Watch a video today and get started. I even took one of his online courses which I can watch again and again. If you hit the subscribe button on youtube you will have access to hundreds of helpful videos.

He encourages you to think-and not rely on the camera's built-in "intelligence" which you get in auto mode and JPEGs.

With digital files you should be using Adobe Lightroom and for that Anthony Morganti is the Mike Browne equivalent. Wonderful teacher.

Norris

We had lunch in Da Vinci MDR but for dinner went to Michelangelo down on deck 5 below Da Vinci. While waiting for Carol to join me outside the restaurant I saw others coming to dinner wearing shorts and flip flops. Tee shirts too.

Once sat at a two top-we never share-we had the napkin draping and the menus. I told the waiter about my bottle of Malbec stored in Da Vinci and it was summoned forth. A Riedel glass was requested and brought. Four pats of soft butter stood by and were used on those fabulous crispy rolls baked on board. We ate around 8 as we usually do, so we could go see the Welcome Aboard show in the Princess Theater at 10.

Caesar salad is on the "Always Available" listing on the left side of the menu. I had that.

28129230109_703d5cc846_b.jpg

Carol had a watercress, Iceberg lettuce and radish salad. Not photographed. Sounds very green.

Salad course dispatched, my Caribbean shrimp arrived and quickly disappeared

26036500738_294b993464_b.jpg

These were good-sized shrimp and not the Krill-sized that come in the Shrimp Cocktail

For his main course Monsieur Norris had a great pork loin dish

26036509098_e90dbbe0ee_b.jpg

Madame Carol ordered the grilled Basa (White fish) with Snow peas ( don't mention snow!) and bamboo shoots.

26036515428_2b52f06277_b.jpg

His dessert was a creme brûlée with a couple of Madelines

26036530708_dfc1a51496_b.jpg

and Hers a hazelnut souffle

39909656461_3c2c065476_b.jpg

The two tops are very tight and close to the next table. Sitting on the banquette side makes it hard to get the plates in focus as they are so close to me and I can't move back. I have a note from my mother...

Another fine meal on the Crown!

• Like 1

The Welcome Aboard show allows the Cruise Director, Corey Moir from New Zealand to introduce himself, the band, the singers and dancers and a featured comedian- in this case Dan Grueter.

He also tells us about some of the shows we'll see that week in the Princess Theater and Explorers. You'll see these rooms later.

Corey is instantly likable in our opinion. High energy, witty, and has time for anyone who wants to speak to him. If you don't like him-he has a note from his mother.

28129246729_bb95de93ee_b.jpg

Singers and dancers with superb live band

28129237099_3c968f3183_b.jpg

Dan Grueter

26036531678_b4ce69b1d5_b.jpg

Dan is one of those relaxed comedians who talk to members of the audience for his material rather than scripted jokes (similar to Robbie Printz). He is very quick-witted and hilarious as his comebacks usually center on the cruise experience and human behavior. Full house for the show. We got there well before curtain to get good aisle seats near the back where we like to sit. Waiters walked the room hoping to avoid eye contact with a thirsty passenger and often succeeding. Unlike the Regal there was a fold out drinks tray in the chair arms.

So at the end of our first day, as we walk down the promenade deck towards the stern where we live, we are very pleased with the food and service thus far and the show just suggested we would have some good entertainment ahead this week. Heads hit pillows at 11 p.m as we sped through the night. We saw glowing ships in the distance heading back to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami to end their cruises. We were the only ship heading south.

Next-up, our first sea day.

Norris,

I am very late to the party! I wish I had taken a picture of my computer when I was watching your sail away. My bad. Along for the ride as always.

Trip

Trip so glad you have made it to the review in the early stages.

I still haven't heard back from the webcam people re putting the sailaway video in this report.

Meantime I will press on.

Thanks for joining us!

Norris

I am loving your review! Thank you so much. We are sailing on the Crown in 3 weeks and are really looking forward to each and every one of your posts. Just a goofy tip: Ropes become lines on a vessel. It's kind of like when people call a ship a boat.

Still waiting for the mooring ropes to be dropped in the water and hauled aboard. It's already 4 pm and I'm itching to get moving. I call the bridge and ask to speak to the Captain. "Wassup?" he says. "Dude, let's go!" say I.

"OK, I'm on it!" and the last rope drops.

Welcome and thanks for joining us!

Norris

Missed the beginning of this review as we just got off the Coral Princess 15 day Panama Canal and trying to get back into the real world. Love your reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm glad you like my reviews so thanks for joining us here.

You'll see the Coral docked in my Carnival Conquest photo on page 1 but I also took some pics of her as we sailed side by side for a while on Friday the 19th-but those will come much later.

I did a photo review of her in 2011, found in my signature below.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, my hubby and I are so enjoying your review. 37 days till we board the Crown. :)

Hi, I don't know where you are going but on this ship you will certaintly have a great cruise!

Norris

Hi Norris, thank you for another wonderful review! While we look forward to our second cruise on Celebrity in March, i think we may try Princess in future especially planning Alaska in 2020!😊

Hi and I am glad you are enjoying this write-up! Which X ship are you sailing on?

We have done 3 Princess Alaskan cruises and will do more and will always think of Princess first as they have their own lodges, train and Glacier Bay access.

Norris

Hi and I am glad you are enjoying this write-up! Which X ship are you sailing on?

We have done 3 Princess Alaskan cruises and will do more and will always think of Princess first as they have their own lodges, train and Glacier Bay access.

Norris

We sailed on Reflection last year and are on the Equinox in 6 weeks. Loved our Celebrity cruise last year, but from what I've seen from the Princess website, they seem to offer a better Alaskan experience. Trying to figure out if its better to do land tour 1st or cruise. Im guessing saving cruise for 2nd half may be more relaxing. Claudia

I am so enjoying your review - I was on the Crown this past December & it's bringing back all the wonderful memories that were made!!! Thank you for sharing :)

P.S. - After seeing all the photography equipment you travel with, I promise never to complain to my DH again - LOL!!!! Dana

Edited by smelmel
didn't finish writing