Tropicante not available on my date!-Please help...

new2cruising2006

Not available? Huh? Did you specifically here this from the owner of the resort? I find it hard to believe. Anyhow, we just got back and there are easily 30-40 resorts along the boardwalk where Tropicante is located. Find any of them and relax and enjoy.

Like I mentioned we just returned recently and ALL of the beaches I saw (all were very close to Tropicante) were really full of sea weed and not very appealing. There were not many people in the water either.

My suggestion is to take the trolley service (DO NOT WALK - it's way too far) to the second stop. Walk towards the water and you'll see a nice boardwalk and make a left so you are essentially heading back towards the direction of the first trolley stop and just walk until you find something that works for you. Perhaps go just for a drink and while sipping away scope out the place and the 5 others beside it :) to see if it works for you. Drinks are pretty affordable so nothing will be wasted.

Also, I highly suggest a message. I had my very first one and it was incredible. $20 for 30 mins or I could have got an hour for $25:o but didn't want to keep my wife waiting. They are literally every 25 feet, so you can't miss them.

I tried to reserve some loungers at Tropicante and there are none available for my date. Does someone know the name of another place that is similar to Tropicante? I am not looking for an all-inclusive. Thanks

Krazy Lobster - literally next door to Tropicantes. FYI - Mahahual beach is nice where these restaurants are located but the neighborhood is run down (some would say authentic) and you won’t find beach club amenities or sparkling facilities. Food was good at Tropicantes but the “cleanliness” was somewhat disappointing. The beach is free wherever you go. You will bombarded by locals selling everything from cigars to jewelry. We still had a fun day getting outside the Disney-like cruise port.

Very true - Krazy Lobster is a good alternative and they seemed to have a large presence. And yes, you will have vendors come by every 5 minutes or so. A nice "no gracias" is all that's needed as they are not aggressive with their sales.

Maybe try Blue Kay for quieter and less vendors? It is at the beginning of the malecon next to the light house.

But in reality Beach bars are one after another, all along the malecon - easy to take a walk and stop off at one that has the right “vibe” for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Tropicante is always empty before 12:01pm just walk in, personally I don’t like Tropicante since prices are extremely high compared to other restaurant. Next time I’m going to Krazy lobster, only a few step from Tropicante

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love, love, loved Krazy Lobster soooooo much!! Vendors are everywhere, who cares. It's all about the awesome food and $1 Coronas, or $5/ bucket, sitting under a palm tree with your toes in the sand, having waiters bring you cheap beer and great food....ahhhhhhhh! I dream about days like this... <3

Love, love, loved Krazy Lobster soooooo much!! Vendors are everywhere, who cares. It's all about the awesome food and $1 Coronas, or $5/ bucket, sitting under a palm tree with your toes in the sand, having waiters bring you cheap beer and great food....ahhhhhhhh! I dream about days like this... <3

Indeed, they r also cheaper than Tropicante

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Your cruise may have already occurred, but if not, just thought I'd let you know that Steve's website specifically says that they take walk ins, so you could try it, and if it's full, just find another place nearby.

"We do not reserve all of our beach, so walk up guests are always welcome."

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/tropicante.html

We didn't plan ahead to visit Tropicante, although that was something I meant to do before leaving. So after walking around the port, we took the trolley out and got off to go to Tropicante. Of course we were immediately greeted by someone offering his place instead and we really didn't care so we went, knowing we could leave. We ended up at El Faro, with a nice covered table, great view of beach and non stop harassment of vendors (but they were polite). After reading various posts, I venture to say their prices might be high but I'm not sure. I got a can of Coke $4, small corona $3, full size $5 and massages $25 for 1 hour (which my husband said was very nice). We weren't eating, but the food looked wonderful! Big trays of food. I saw several people pick their seafood raw then have it served on large trays. I talked to an American ex-pat who worked there and he said their food was very good. We had access to the beach and there was a small vendor area behind us. Taxi drivers are waiting to take you back to pier for $2/person and they are quick as they need to make as many runs as possible while ships are in. So, all in all, we were fine with the time there. One thing- I did read previous to my cruise about disputes regarding charges so I paid at time of service. Also, we paid in American $ so we most likely overpaid for everything but we didn't have pesos anyway. I think that's the catch - you pay in US $ so you pay more.