First Time Cruiser: How will I know if we have cleared the waitlist?

totheworld

Hello,

We are cruising to Alaska this August on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I'm very excited. My husband and I have only been on one other cruise, years ago on Cunard Lines. Now we will be traveling with in laws and my 8 year old son.

I called HAL to make the reservation and was originally put on anytime dining. I called back to note allergies and the person recommended the 5:45 seating if possible so the wait staff would get to know our needs. Obviously, from the title of this post, we are on the waitlist.

She seemed pretty certain that our party of 5 would clear the waitlist, but I'm wondering how I will know - do I just need to start calling sometime in June or will I get an email? I don't see the waitlist noted when I check online.

thanks so much. Looking forward to a great trip (and I'll pack my son's blue blazer in case we make it to a gala night).

As soon as you board, check your key card. It will show your dining time and the table assignment. If you didn't get early fixed dining, go right away to wherever they have a maitre d' answering dining issues (check the daily program for when and where this will be). Explain your situation and see if you can get what you want.

An alternate suggestion is to go with the open dining but make a reservation for the same table every night. That's what we did the time we didn't get early fixed. They gave us a table in open dining and we liked the waiters so much that on the way out every night, I would tell the maitre d' that we wanted the same table the next night. About halfway through the cruise he said, "You've got it for the rest of the cruise." I think he was tired of making the reservation each night. Usually, you can make a reservation for the same table for the next few days, and then keep re-doing it. I think it's up to the maitre d' how far in advance you can do the reservation. Time frames for reservations are limited to the early and later parts of the evening. For example, you can reserve 5:30 but not 6:30 or 7:30. Those middle times are only for walk-ins.

When we sailed on NA, we were waitlisted for our dining preference because a large group had booked the entire upper level. It was not until we checked in at the terminal that we were given our desired time. But it did happen!

Question is, was it what you wanted? ;)

Many years ago we wait listed for the early fixed dining.

Funny story -- DH was cleared first and got the early dining time. Our TA called and asked about what happened to me. About a month later I was cleared for early dining and our TA had to make several calls to make certain that we would be at a table for 2.

We had booked the cruise over a year in advance.

So much for having 500 days on HAL -- no star levels at that time.

Question is, was it what you wanted? ;)

Yes, absolutely! I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. We had requested traditional late, but were given anytime, when we booked. At checkin we were told we had traditional late. It was perfect, a table for six, just as we wanted.

Yes, absolutely! I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. We had requested traditional late, but were given anytime, when we booked. At checkin we were told we had traditional late. It was perfect, a table for six, just as we wanted.

Outstanding, and great to hear that you got exactly what you wanted!:)