Gluten Free

Does anyone know for sure about the hot oatmeal being gluten free? I had chefs on both Adventure and Oasis tell me it is not. I’d love to find out otherwise!! My favorite breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently had a visitor where I work who was GF, she also requested oatmeal for her breakfasts. I didn’t know how reactive she was, and couldn’t confirm GF with oats, so just got her pure quinoa flakes which are 100% GF.

Nick

Brunei

Oatmeal usually isn't gluten free unless it's grown specifically for that purpose. It gets cross contaminated from gluten containing crops that are rotated on the same soil.
100% this. I actually bring on my own granola with GF oats, and then have room service bring me milk. Tada!

If you are not Celiac, the oatmeal might be fine, but if you are (or have something like EDS which might be triggered by accidentally getting glutened), I would stay away.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

My SIL is GF and had no problems on Harmony last year. As we had GF, sever peanut and a honey/maple allergy the head waiter brought the next day's menu each night so we could get questions answered and make selections. They even made her favorite- chicken cordon bleu GF for her.

Our honey honey wanted the ribs the first night, but of course.... When the waiter came back from asking the chef he said yes there was honey but that he would make her a special batch the next night that she would love. He did and she did!

My experience found them to be very accommodating, and my SIL never felt like she was going without. Nor did she get sick- even more important!

Oatmeal usually isn't gluten free unless it's grown specifically for that purpose. It gets cross contaminated from gluten containing crops that are rotated on the same soil.

Oatmeal is like soy sauce, one of those foods that people moot. Soy sauce hasn't bothered me, and I've eaten oat containing breakfast cereal like Capn Crunch and it hasn't bothered me.

I think I'll test this out on my next cruise on Vision and have some oatmeal for brekkie.

Had a mild reaction to something last night and the only thing I did was feed the dogs. Hrm, need to be more judicious about grain-free dog food and treats.

Heading off on Liberty in a week. I know that I won't have trouble with being GF on the cruise b/c of the variety, but I wonder if any of y'all know if there is actual "GF" pasta, bread, desserts, pancakes, or any of that stuff on board that I can know about in advance. That is all! Thank you!

Yes,there is .However , I found the pancakes to taste rather bland . The rolls and bread are not that good. At home I eat delicious gluten free bread every day.

Yes,there is .However , I found the pancakes to taste rather bland . The rolls and bread are not that good. At home I eat delicious gluten free bread every day.
I will say that while the GF bread with dinner was ho hum, the GF rolls in the WJ were AMAZING!!!

I am not celiac however I typically eat GF at home because it cuts down the number of migraines I suffer. Onboard I will splurge for some deserts and the occasional french toast (just like I splurge for the occasional treat at home). Do I need to contact them in advance or can I just take advantage of the GF section and order food that is GF. I don't want anyone to question why I will be eating not completely GF. I will also bring medication to treat migraine symptoms as they come on, and GF snacks.

Gluten (especially from most of the crap in American supermarkets) is so inflammatory. I would be willing to bet that most people have SOME sort of problem with it but don't know it. I have some GF friends who visited Ecuador and enjoyed all of their organic and fresh bread without issues- unlike the stuff here in the US.

After reading through this, I don't think I will contact them in advance, just talk to our MDR waiter and find the GF area in windjammer. If it's not in an obvious place, I will ask about it. Oh... and my favorite thing is pancakes. So, I will ask for my GF pancakes. Because vacation.

I’m no expert at this, but in preparation for our upcoming cruise in May I have spoken to RC a few times and read every thread I can on Cruise Critic about GF on board. My understanding is that the ship is stocked for food for the week based on how many guests they anticipate have special needs for food. So it may be best just to let them know ahead of time.

It won’t make any difference for the GF section of the buffet or items that are naturally GF on the main dining room menus, but it will make a difference for special order items like GF Udis cookies or GF Pancakes. I’ve read reports of them running out of these items because demand exceeded their anticipated needs. And they can’t restock these in the Caribbean mid-cruise. I’d hate my 4 year old with Celiac disease to not be able to have breakfast on day 5-7 because the ship had an unexpected high demand for GF pancakes.

Just something for you to consider... there’s really no harm in more people telling them ahead of time they’ll want GF options so the ship is stocked for people like my daughter who absolutely cannot have gluten in any form. Thanks for considering...

I’m no expert at this, but in preparation for our upcoming cruise in May I have spoken to RC a few times and read every thread I can on Cruise Critic about GF on board. My understanding is that the ship is stocked for food for the week based on how many guests they anticipate have special needs for food. So it may be best just to let them know ahead of time.

It won’t make any difference for the GF section of the buffet or items that are naturally GF on the main dining room menus, but it will make a difference for special order items like GF Udis cookies or GF Pancakes. I’ve read reports of them running out of these items because demand exceeded their anticipated needs. And they can’t restock these in the Caribbean mid-cruise. I’d hate my 4 year old with Celiac disease to not be able to have breakfast on day 5-7 because the ship had an unexpected high demand for GF pancakes.

Just something for you to consider... there’s really no harm in more people telling them ahead of time they’ll want GF options so the ship is stocked for people like my daughter who absolutely cannot have gluten in any form. Thanks for considering...

excellent point!

I have to say, I was impressed w/ Royal on Explorer 5 years ago -- lots of options for my daughter, who has Celiac. I'm a little more concerned about our upcoming cruise, b/c people have posted recent menus, & sometimes there is only 1 GF option in appetizer, main & dessert -- last time, she had @ least 3 in each category to choose from. Also, with what I've heard about how busy the waitstaff is, they may not have time to check to see if some of the options could be made GF with a couple of tweaks (ie, leave the bread off the escargot, no croutons on the salad).

I did also have to contact them about my other daughter, who has developed Crohn's / Ulcerative colitis & has to eat a bland/ low fiber / low fat diet, and the menu DOES NOT seem to support that. They told me I could special request plain poached or baked fish, rice or baked potato, etc -- whatever was safe for her to eat. ( I just have to avoid eating bacon & sausage in front of her -- that's just not fair :) )

I have to say, I was impressed w/ Royal on Explorer 5 years ago -- lots of options for my daughter, who has Celiac. I'm a little more concerned about our upcoming cruise, b/c people have posted recent menus, & sometimes there is only 1 GF option in appetizer, main & dessert -- last time, she had @ least 3 in each category to choose from. Also, with what I've heard about how busy the waitstaff is, they may not have time to check to see if some of the options could be made GF with a couple of tweaks (ie, leave the bread off the escargot, no croutons on the salad).

I did also have to contact them about my other daughter, who has developed Crohn's / Ulcerative colitis & has to eat a bland/ low fiber / low fat diet, and the menu DOES NOT seem to support that. They told me I could special request plain poached or baked fish, rice or baked potato, etc -- whatever was safe for her to eat. ( I just have to avoid eating bacon & sausage in front of her -- that's just not fair :) )

Am currently onboard Enchantment, and am both Celiac and vegetarian which means almost nothing off the menu. They jave been SO good about feeding me. I also brought this (as well contacting special needs in advance) for my waiter and head waiter, so they and the cooks understand what is and is not safe for me. I was afraid I would have to eat salad every meal, but have been surprisingly diverse in my eating. Am posting pictures and details of meals in my live Enchantment review if that helps.

They will definitely make custom things for you and your children. Like last night, the Polenta was marked veggie but not GF, but they made me a GF version. Chese plate was marked neither, but they brought put one without bread for us. For tonight, I noticed the menu didn't have a cold soup, which I LOVE, so asked about it. Head waiter said they will make me one no problem. As long as they have something similar and ingredients in stock, theu can and will make most things for you as long as you order the night before.8ff8e3246c9181116d26e2499a659378.jpg

Am currently onboard Enchantment, and am both Celiac and vegetarian which means almost nothing off the menu. They jave been SO good about feeding me. I also brought this (as well contacting special needs in advance) for my waiter and head waiter, so they and the cooks understand what is and is not safe for me. I was afraid I would have to eat salad every meal, but have been surprisingly diverse in my eating. Am posting pictures and details of meals in my live Enchantment review if that helps.

They will definitely make custom things for you and your children. Like last night, the Polenta was marked veggie but not GF, but they made me a GF version. Chese plate was marked neither, but they brought put one without bread for us. For tonight, I noticed the menu didn't have a cold soup, which I LOVE, so asked about it. Head waiter said they will make me one no problem. As long as they have something similar and ingredients in stock, theu can and will make most things for you as long as you order the night before.8ff8e3246c9181116d26e2499a659378.jpg

This (along with other reports like this) are very encouraging for me to see! We rarely go out to eat because it’s just easier to feed our kids at home-mainly because of our daughters Celiac (and almost equally because of hectic schedules & the general hassle of taking small kids out to dinner). I’m really looking forward to family dinners in the dining room and not being constantly worried that the food is gong to make my kid sick. This aspect of cruising with RC (from what I’ve researched, which is a lot) is the most appealing aspect of the vacation package for this parent who thinks about every ingredient of every meal every day.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.