What Would You Do?: Flight Edition

lmt219

All the delays on Saturday WILL carry over to Sunday and that Sunday flight might not even happen depending on where the planes end up on Saturday.
Agreed - if and when airlines start to pre-emptively cancel flights, holding their aircraft & crews outside the region - recovery operations for many of the N.E. airports with sold-out flights, overbooking & standby pax can take up to several days, depending on whether it's a hub or alliance/regional carrier as a feeder/coshare.

When that January Nor-Easter storm hit, JFK was jammed with aircrafts parked at the gate, inbound planes sat on the taxiway for hours, some of the jumbo's with hundreds of tired pax that left their "home" some 30 or 40 hours earlier, some flights were initially diverted & resumed the "continuation" segment when terminals, crews & equipment were in place. Pax at Terminal 4 and T-1 sat on the tarmac for 3 to 4 hours after landing, some finally deplaned & took buses into the terminal. You get the picture ... I think, if not "Google" the news to read for yourself.

There are plenty of seasoned & business fliers doing the same, jumping to nearby airports to seize those few remaining seats and its game on to compete against going standby. Tip #2 - pack light & only do carry-ons or prepare to sail/cruise without your bags if you are successful flying out on early Sunday morning.

It's much better & safer to get ahead of the curve then to play catch up, good luck ... do what you have & need to do, to make your cruise on Sunday. A deluxe trip insurance surely help, except that you won't recover those lost time onboard when they sail without others & you left behind - have the port/line's phone # in the terminal available to call/reach them in case your timing is cutting it too close.

Good luck & let us know afterward with an update, that's always useful for others to evaluate ... there will be a next time, for someone else.

Leave now. It's quite naive thinking, everything will be "alright" and some of the "claims" being made here. ONE cancellation reeks havoc never mind about multiple. You do know Southwest has NO interline agreements? And they don't just pull planes out of the garage, service and staff are other factors. With a major storm you don't think there more risk here??? and from a small airport???

Sure there are multiple other flights, BUT, those will be full, guaranteed.

Absolutely don't back yourself in a corner banking everything on a day of cruise flight.

I'd try to leave Friday if you can. Otherwise, Saturday morning. Waiting till Sunday is way too risky. If something happens, you have no options on Sunday. But Friday is your best bet. Even if it costs more, it will alleviate your stress, which is worth many $$$$$.

Please let us know how things worked out for you. We wish you the best.

Yes, looking like most of Eastern/Central MA and Providence got mostly rain, so hoping no major flight delays result on Saturday. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you to everyone for the responses! We've decided to stick with what we have. If SW ends up cancelling, we have options within driving distance (Boston, Hartford, Newark, BWI, etc). I'm still stressed out, but i'm reassuring myself that it'll all be ok :D

Do we all assume you made your cruise?