Possibly the Edge !!!

Hello to one and all.

Seeking advice....thanks in advance!!!

Having been bitten by Cruise holiday, with NCL last year “Getaway” and Royal Caribbean “Navigator of the seas” this summer, we are looking at next year already a special birthday, so having been looking at the Edge for August 2019.

Have watched a few YouTube videos about the ship etc. Just watched one about the restaurants etc, I gathered there are 4 free dining rooms??

Would there be any other complimentary eating venues???

Would anyone know the aprox cost of a drinks package if there is one???

Is it better to book early for this new ship, or would better offers follow next year with drinks packages etc....

Cheers

M

We are booked on the 19 Aug Med cruise and there is a good selection of SRs avail. We booked early (very early!) because we think the Edge will be very popular. If the earlier Caribbean cruises are a good example, that is true. We are booked on the 24 March cruise and there are only 7 Balciny SRs open. And the pricing has gone up.

As to dining, there are the 4 main dining venues which don’t cost extra, plus the Oceanview Cafe which is a large buffet open most of the day and evening. There is the Eden Cafe and a burger/dog grill plus the Spa Cafe with ‘healthy’ options. Lots of free/standard options.

The drink packages are on the Celebrity website and is standard costs.

Enjoy!

In regards to the drink packages a lot of the time depending on what stateroom you are booking you can get one included as part of a promotion. One thing to keep in mind though is in Europe you will spend a lot more time off the ship and have fewer sea days to use it. Thus it may not be worth buying a drink package compared to buying drinks as you go. However, that is dependent on how much you drink or if you would rather not have to worry. The classic package starts at $55 a night with the premium being $65 last time I checked. I’m not sure what the standard package cost.

We have always done the premium package and have gotten our monies worth on occasion, but it took some work and it was always in the Caribbean where we spent more time on the ship. [emoji1] We mostly do it because we like not having to worry about a bill at the end of the cruise. That said for the past few years we have been able to get the package as a perk which is nice. Hence we now have them for sailings I probably wouldn’t have purchased them for such as Alaska and Europe.

Finally, if you prefer top shelf liquors and like to have more options for the wine generally the premium package is the way to go.

As the other poster said, book the Edge early. We booked our February 2019 sailing the day they were released. It’s now up almost $2k pp for our cabin over what we paid. I also noticed the 2020 prices are higher than the 2019 prices, probably because more information is available driving demand.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. We do like a drink!!! When we are on holiday, If it’s ok to say that!! Like other cruise lines people say that break even is 5-7 drinks...that’s easy without trying, and we do like the peace of mind at the end of cruise with the final bill!!

We love variety of places to eat, not so much the buffet, on NCL Getaway we did not have to dress up, we don’t mind doing that a little but not every day!! There’s a pub on getaway that served food so that suited us some nights...hence the question on food. I suppose informal seating, without the mayhem of a buffet..

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. We do like a drink!!! When we are on holiday, If it’s ok to say that!! Like other cruise lines people say that break even is 5-7 drinks...that’s easy without trying, and we do like the peace of mind at the end of cruise with the final bill!!

We love variety of places to eat, not so much the buffet, on NCL Getaway we did not have to dress up, we don’t mind doing that a little but not every day!! There’s a pub on getaway that served food so that suited us some nights...hence the question on food. I suppose informal seating, without the mayhem of a buffet..

Thanks

Yep, 5-7 drinks is about the break even point. On X you can also use your drink package towards bottled water, fresh squeezed juice, soda and specialty coffees. It really isn’t too hard to get value in it. I also like being able to try stuff I may otherwise not try since if I don’t like it I don’t have to drink it.

Pretty much at this point the only place you have to dress up on X is the MDR on their chic nights. Everywhere else is always smart casual including all the specialty restaurants. I wouldn’t be surprised if X eventually moves to smart casual every night. It seems like the current policy is a way to try and please those who don’t want to dress up and those who do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really can’t understand why people don’t want to dress up on ships? Don’t you normally have a shower and put something a bit dressier for dinner anywhere else? I think it is part of the holiday fun! I do hope X will not become more casual than it already is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really can’t understand why people don’t want to dress up on ships? Don’t you normally have a shower and put something a bit dressier for dinner anywhere else? I think it is part of the holiday fun! I do hope X will not become more casual than it already is

I believe that Celebrity's decision to change Formal to Chic was a good move. It allows those who really want to get dressed up to do so, and those who prefer to be less formal to also dine in the MDR on those nights.

I believe that Celebrity's decision to change Formal to Chic was a good move. It allows those who really want to get dressed up to do so, and those who prefer to be less formal to also dine in the MDR on those nights.

I don’t disagree with this at all ( although deep inside can’t stop feeling sad about less glamorous cruising [emoji4]) . I was referring to the TS’s question about dining options where one does not need to think about getting dressed for dinner. This sentiment comes across regularly in various threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t disagree with this at all ( although deep inside can’t stop feeling sad about less glamorous cruising [emoji4]) . I was referring to the TS’s question about dining options where one does not need to think about getting dressed for dinner. This sentiment comes across regularly in various threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do also agree with you - it is nice to get dressed up, especially on holidays... Which is why I really like chic more than formal - it gives me more flexibility to adjust my clothing based on how I am "feeling" that day.. I can dress up a bit or a lot, without worrying about being over-dressed or under-dressed, since chic allows for such a wide range...