Typical evening dining room attire for men?

Why do so many men feel they have to wear shorts in the evening hours? Ya’ll can’t wear big boy pants for 2 lousy hours?
You can't go one meal without worrying about what others are wearing, but somehow those of us who wear shorts (within Carnival guidelines) are the problem? Oy vey. :rolleyes: Talk about someone who needs to grow up.

I'm 61 years old and Platinum. That and $1.00 won't get you much but after reading this thread I see some folks think we are in a caste system. I wore a shirt, tie and sports coat every day for 30 years. This included a variety of suits.

At my age, comfort is my goal. I wear very nice khaki shorts with a collared 4 button polo shirt on non elegant nights and I up-dress into khaki pants and a dress shirt on elegant nights. I brush my teeth and wear deodorant. I'm bald so I don't comb my hair. Funny thing for me; I've been on 13 cruises and not once did I have a meal spoiled due to something someone else was wearing.

:DI suspect those sitting near you appreciate this more than what you are wearing. (My husband is balding, so keeps his hair very short and doesn't comb either:')). I'm glad that you are able to be comfortable and still within guidelines. On our last cruise it seemed like most were dressed at or better than requested dress code, and once people are seated you really don't notice what they are wearing below the waist. I probably wouldn't have even taken a glance around except for all the dress code threads on these boards.

I worked in upper management for 52 years. Suit and tie and all the trappings. One thing I learned was to always dress to the occasion. I wear shorts 90% of the time. For two hours a night I wear big boy pants not a Cub Scout. Tell hubby to buy a $10 pair of khakis from Walmart

I'm guessing that if you were upper management for over 50 years that you are at least in your 70's. My dad is 75 and I don't think I've ever seen him in shorts. It doesn't bother him though when his son-in-law does. Carnival has laid out their guidelines of how to dress to the occasion, and that includes for two hours a night that men can wear their big boy non-athletic shorts (just not on elegant/formal night). The times have changed (including price of even Walmart khakis is likely to be closer to $25 than $10) for good or for bad.

BTW - my husband did wear dress pants to dinner every night on our last cruise (except the second elegant night when we just had a light dinner at the lido deck) and then went back to the room to change so he could wear more comfortable shoes for the evening and not be too warm. Next cruise he will pack nicer shorts to wear with his polos. His feet will be more comfortable and we will gain the time lost in returning to the room before evening entertainment. (Dress pants, shirt, and tie will be packed for formal nights but we might skip the sports coat this time.)

I'm trying to decide between this thread and "bringing sand back" as my favorite thread. It's neck and neck.

They typically provide daily entertainment and are fun to read. Just wait until one pops back up with the people whining over the tablecloths. Those are really fun!