odd question - hairdryers & girly stuff...

Hi CC - wondering about buying a hairdryer and curling iron that works in UK. Suggestions of mail order websites or stores once there would be greatly appreciated. Three women on a two week land trip, we will definitely need these items!

I'm a cruiser generally, but this time I am researching for a land trip with two female cousins. We are planning on spending 14 days total for the trip --London, considering 8 day CIE Tour, a few days DIY spent in Taunton area where our grandmother was born, Bath for grandfather, and sights nearby.

It's a case of the blind leading the blind, I'm afraid. I've travelled in Europe but only passed through England, and they have never left the US. All suggestions would be appreciated :)

Suggestions of mail order websites or stores once there would be greatly appreciated.
If you're starting off by spending a few days in London, as your post suggests, then at worst you could pop into a larger branch of Boots to get these - that's one of the big chemist/pharmacy chains that sells a lot of health/beauty products. Or if you go to Oxford Street, go into Selfridges, Debenhams, House of Fraser or John Lewis: the four big department stores between Marble Arch and Oxford Circus that will all offer many options.

This is exactly what my wife did in reverse last year. We had a 2 week road trip in the US before our cruise, so on the first day we nipped into Walmart and got a cheap hairdryer and clothes iron (both less than $15). Apart from places like Boots (as suggested) you could also try bigger supermarkets like Tesco, Asda(the UK version of Walmart...but without guns!!) and Sainsburys. If you know where your hotel is, have a look on Google Earth for a nearby supermarket...thats what we did.

Simon

Buy new hairdryers and a curling iron??? With all due respect to other posters, that just bad advice. Shortsighted and a waste of money.

Just get a set of internationl plugs and a converter. Costs less than new hairdryers etc and they are reusable for future trips ANYWHERE - not just the UK.

You'll need the plugs to recharge your cellphones anyway. If you have a cellphone that's less than 3 or 5 years old, it probably has a built in converter .

+1 for boots

They have a lot of branches in London. You can pre-order on their website and collect directly in a store closest to your Hotel free of delivery charge. That way you can also order all your cosmetic stuff in advance and dont have to bring it with you 😉

Thanks, everyone, for the detailed suggestions! I will make a note of the shopping places mentioned and do as suggested.

jkgourmet, I prefer to have the appropriate plug and wattage built in -- I tried your approach in Ireland and my hairdryer caught fire! My husband and I have plans for more EU/UK travel, so the items will not be $ wasted.

Update: My first attempt at searching ebay for UK hairdryers gave no good results, but after posting here I did another search and found items I can order one for under $30 USD including shipping. Think that's the best option, but still glad to know of shops for other incidentals in London. Even if all lodging has a hairdryer, with 3 women it is likely more than one will be needed in the mornings.

Edited by GloriaF

Buy new hairdryers and a curling iron??? With all due respect to other posters, that just bad advice. Shortsighted and a waste of money.

Just get a set of internationl plugs and a converter. Costs less than new hairdryers etc and they are reusable for future trips ANYWHERE - not just the UK.

You'll need the plugs to recharge your cellphones anyway. If you have a cellphone that's less than 3 or 5 years old, it probably has a built in converter .

Thanks for tip about cellphone. Mine is an iPhone 6. I think iPhones have converter built in, even for my older one, but will double check.

Thanks for tip about cellphone. Mine is an iPhone 6. I think iPhones have converter built in, even for my older one, but will double check.

Just an FYI for anyone with an older iPhone like my 6, the converter is built into the little square box on the charger.

Just an FYI for anyone with an older iPhone like my 6, the converter is built into the little square box on the charger.
Isn't that generally the case for modern chargers? IME they all happily accept any input between 110V and 240V AC. After all, AIUI any electronics charger must (almost by definition) have a transformer, as the electronic item itself usually wants a low-voltage DC input.

Look on Amazon, just put in “dual voltage blow dryer”. You will find it there and other girly things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, Debra. I ordered a dual voltage hair dryer from ebay. Only $21. It has US plug but I have the adaptors already. Decided on US plug because it will be easier for me to locate/buy adaptors for other countries since I live in US.