Non-refundable deposits

KirkNC

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I guess that would be true.  Of course then you could run into other issues such as the cruise being fully booked with a wait list (in which case you will not be able to rebook) or very limited cabin categories.  

Make a new booking first, then fully cancel the old booking.  

46 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I don't know how you can be aware that it's non-refundable if you are not told in advance.  But, believe me, it won't happen again. 

Absolutely correct.  It happened to me in a booking BUT when I looked at my confirmation I realized it was non refundable.  

Turns out that HAL had 2 codes so similar it was an easy to make mistake - not deliberate on the person’s part.  

You can bet I put in a call so fast your head would spin and the cruise was re-booked as refundable.  No problem and apologies.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:42 PM, KirkNC said:

I am trying a new angle with this. First let me say it will only work for those of us that will only need to cancel for medical reasons. If you want the flexibility of cancel for any reason, stop reading and go to the next thread.

We checked today and our December Zaandam cruise had dropped by $600/pp but had a non-refundable deposit as well as full payment up front. I said yes, paid for it with our Chase card which has a $10,000/pp trip cancellation benefit. So I have saved $1,200 and am covered in the event we have a medical event.

Anyone else looking at it this way?

Which December Zaandam cruise are you taking?  

On 3/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Even if we decided to get a Chase credit card, that $10,000 would never come close to covering what we pay for a cruise.

I will demand a refundable fare when we book.

Not to mention the annual cost of the card itself.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:17 AM, Hflors said:

Well in my case (for the booking I am holding) to change to a non-refundable deposit will cost me an additional $500 pp. And HAL calls that a "sale". And has the nerve to say "for a limited time only". Now this is what I call crazy!!!

Why do you not consider it a "sale?"  For those who feel that a non-refundable deposit is the way to go, it is a sale, because it is $500 off a fully refundable price.