Our First RCI Cruise! HOTS Departs Today. Join Us?

L1211

Dr. No had several scenes filmed near Dunn's River Falls.

Still not the one according to the guide but of course Ian Fleming loved him some Jamaica. I think he even had a house there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still not the one according to the guide but of course Ian Fleming loved him some Jamaica. I think he even had a house there.

I believe Bob is correct. Thunderball was in Nassau. Jamaica was used in several James Bond movies that location is Dr. No.

I believe Bob is correct. Thunderball was in Nassau. Jamaica was used in several James Bond movies that location is Dr. No.

Who can forget Ursula Andress on that beach near Dunn's River Falls.

Jamaica- I totally sweated the planning for this port. I would have been happy staying on the ship or in the Disneyland-ish port. I've been to Jamaica for a few land-based vacations. But the girls had not seen Jamaica and the port just didn't feel like it would check that box. They also are adventurers and sports. They wanted to do something.

When I started researching, I kept finding videos of Marshall Law in the Mobay area. Really? We were vacationing in the new murder capital of the world? Last summer NCL dropped us in Belize City since Harvest Cay wasn't complete. That was the murder capital for murders per capita at that point. Wow, safety first??? I didn't know what to do. All the boards said take a ship sponsored excursion so I planned a Montego Bay beach and Hip Street shopping quick 2 hour adventure that seemed to as close too the port as I could find.

I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and my Uber driver was from Jamaica. He had just been home only two short weeks ago. I shared my concerns with him and also shared my plans for the ship excursion. He told me he had many sisters and would not give me bad advice - that he would treat me like a sister. And, there was no way he would let his sisters go to Montego Bay or shopping on hip street right now. But he also felt that Jamaica was overall safe if you stayed in the right areas. He recommended Blue Hole or Green Grotto Caves. He told me we'd be treated like royalty because Jamaica loves their tourist. Just to stick to tourist areas.

With that, I researched vendors online and picked Patrice Bailey tours. She had exceptional ratings as did many local vendors. We planned a private day with blue Hole and bluewater beach club.

We were emailed a price if $65 pp for the private tour. Another operator was $45 pp but that was for a tour of 15 to 20 people. We didn't want to be on anyone else's schedule. We didn't want the mandatory stops at shops to look at the local wares. We wanted to come as go as we wanted so booked the private day with Ms Bailey. They were outstanding. Instructions to find our driver were clear, we made no deposit, just paid cash once there.

Here was our van. 0ee5f70536952383edbd25fbc7c0e5d4.jpg

I first saw this and thought oh no! I was wrong of course...ce30f53ef19d729b2630bf34862d3d8b.jpg

Another ??! How old are your girls? My grandson is 16 and on our last cruise he joined the club and did many activities. The ship we were on then wasn't quite so big. With 6000+ passengers do you feel they are safe wherever they go and how do you communicate with them. Just curious. Really hard to fathom a ship being so huge. We come from a small town in Illinois and the ship probably holds 2-3 of our "towns"!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ride was made longer by a traffic accident. There is no way around or alternative route. You just wait. 28c19ebbe7ef3894657564dd58af783b.jpg

Our view for 30 minutes?

96a1a4b6fa2899c8944626ba08458ceb.jpg

And sadly we found this to be the reason...

We had time to chat. He told us about the housing system in Jamaica. Did you know they pay a housing tax for about 8 to 10 years then they qualify to own a home? It is financed by the government for 30 years if you were young enough when you applied for your home. Our guide said you would pay about US$5000 down then make a monthly payment of $200-$300 based on the size of the house you purchased. You would live in that house then the rest of your life. As your family grew, you would have to add onto it. They do not sell their homes and move to other homes. The home would survive your death and be passed to your family. Or the mortgage, which ever that be. Interesting system.

Where's yorkvillian? Isn't he our resident trivia champ??? Still not the answer the guide gave.

The irony. Had Bond been around this might not have happened.

Thank you for the laugh!! No guess on the movie??

Here are some Jamaica countryside pics. We saw most of it. This port location is terrible. You pass the OR port and your almost there!! b95bd6fd29523ff4e94c42effa41712c.jpg

Fruit trees

0f4c7a4df2abfc02afe98c94647071fe.jpg

Who doesn't love a good sports bar??

6ecb31df3dffae2cb98d97b785477526.jpg

A seafood joint

a83d3278ae9a441f63706343d4f94fca.jpg

Windy road

b6a9c235e09799c951b70a93e9161b00.jpg

Lovely estate

Thank you for the laugh!! No guess on the movie??

Ocho Rios has the James Bond Pier, which goes back to Dr No. I’d guess that is the movie. We need Courtney, I mean Tim, to chime in.

0f4c7a4df2abfc02afe98c94647071fe.jpg

Who doesn't love a good sports bar??

You sure it’s a sports bar? By its title I’d think it might be something more exciting. :')

I might need to do this tour just to post a photo of this place in a live review. Oh the descriptives, I don’t think I could contain myself like you did. I could/might lose another CC point.:D

The first sights of Blue Hole are lush and green. Beautiful. You drive down through a rain forest to reach the site. It doesn't disappoint. 3fa47e9d7c8871377384fb39c1d0f527.jpg

1ac7b78ceee65c05d5951b6b71980c75.jpg

9dde6ef8f1982565834e1b8f91a85499.jpg

7b4f2dbc245dec5cbe3f4a7b5017a379.jpg

The Blue Hole becomes the Mud Hole after rain. We caught it at a perfect time!

8766de28d3b695194f44f59e409d490e.jpg

Our private tour included a private lifeguard and guide on site. Meet Baby T. I wanted to take him home! So much a sweet and polite young man. The girls LOVED him. He was a sugar.

Dinner tonight at wonderland. Starting with drinks. edc0d9747d1a9b30f84b3ba88c13811a.jpg

The Dream Catcher looks wonderful, I wonder if we can get that on the Allure anywhere? As I believe this is from a restaurant not on the Allure???

The tour starts at the upper Blue Hole. I didn't climb up the falls with them so Baby T took my phone to get pics and videos. We all know with teens, if it isn't recorded, did it even happen???

045f34c8f9fb1e326d2dade11d011c27.jpg

I understand after this lovely pic Baby T pulled a trick with the waterfall that left them all soaked!

43a7e92a196e2f03acae8bbb1bb52aed.jpg

The first jump was up top. Go Britt!

60964430283bff1af6bcdfb9f50c24c4.jpg

And the DD next. if you zoom in on the pic she's smiling ear ear. Isn't this why we vacation with our kids? Bliss!

28630ece0f5c77d89237459a25892516.jpg

And a perfect dive from the DH. All 10s!!!

The next jump was from much higher. They work you up and up! 3241da621234e537660cf7bc9f54912f.jpg

Next came the rope swing. This was the only line they encountered. This was a ship excursion. Maybe 40 people doing these jumps all together. It was madhouse. Very happy with our decision to go it alone.

bda2255395432534dbeeae3cf96aca71.jpg

a4b4e3250aa00dd6997b3b5b4fc418da.jpg

601d71edf84bffb5f5961ce763d06719.jpg

And then The highest jump yet. Oh boy. This one required some thinking. Do I really want to do this??? The DH had been diving at the strong encouragement of Baby T. No way he was diving from this height. He was questioning jumping!!!e280bd9d218fd95a659718381484c065.jpg

dde89fbe9704961a061fc9c09c6a3b79.jpg

a81448a28b9a26811a7723ce8601d23f.jpg

Having a private guide was nice. He bypassed the line here and the girls did this jump twice. The impact was so hard it tore off a ceramic nail of the DD. She was in much pain! Yes, the woes of the young.