Charleston tomorrow

gamecockinnc

We embark on the Ecstasy out of Charleston tomorrow. I prepaid our parking and we are Platinum so we have priority boarding.

But my friend and her son haven’t seen much of Charleston. She wants to drive around downtown Charleston. The ship leaves at 4:00 pm. I have never thought of this but what is the latest time we need to be at the port to check in?

But I worry if we late to long we will be in the complete chaos?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly in Charleston you are better off to go on to the ship. The process gets more crowded and slower as the day goes on. Like Jordanaire said, sightsee afterwards.

That is what I thought....and I have no intentions of missing the ship. We always arrive the day before sailing to be sure. I grew up about 1. 5 hours away from Charleston and still visit frequently and now we live a few hours up the coast in N.C. So we can easily come back from a visit.

Is the Charleston port that crazy?

I prepaid our parking. Our docs say priority because of my platinum status but from what I’ve read we still must line up at the port to drop our bags off and then go to park. Then I believe take a shuttle back to the ship. Then go through check in. To be honest when I compare the cost of this 5 day cruise with past cruises we probably should have just have sailed out of Florida as usual. And sailed a 7 day on a larger ship. Nothing against my home state. The smallest ship I’ve sailed in over a decade is a B2B on the Glory which was a great size for 14 days.....But it’s always good to sail. And I’m grateful for that.

Edited by gamecockinnc

Charleston Port can be crazy, I think it depends on attitudes.

Yes drop off luggage, show pre-pay receipt to get in express line. Park and then you can ride shuttle across the street or walk. (Sometimes easier and faster to walk)

Cruises are more expensive from Charleston. However it is nice sailing that close to home.

Enjoy your cruise.

Charleston Port can be crazy, I think it depends on attitudes.

Yes drop off luggage, show pre-pay receipt to get in express line. Park and then you can ride shuttle across the street or walk. (Sometimes easier and faster to walk)

Cruises are more expensive from Charleston. However it is nice sailing that close to home.

Enjoy your cruise.

Have never sailed out of Charleston,and sorry for the highjack, OP, but why are cruises more expensive from Charleston? We live 20 minutes from port of Manhattan and since CCL is not sailing from here in winter/early spring anymore when we like to cruise, we have taken our business to Baltimore and Pride! ;) Researching a cruise from Charleston where we would drive down for a few days to sightsee and then hop on a ship!

Have never sailed out of Charleston,and sorry for the highjack, OP, but why are cruises more expensive from Charleston? We live 20 minutes from port of Manhattan and since CCL is not sailing from here in winter/early spring anymore when we like to cruise, we have taken our business to Baltimore and Pride! clear.png?emoji-wink-1685 Researching a cruise from Charleston where we would drive down for a few days to sightsee and then hop on a ship!

Compared to other Fantasy class ships sailing from one -ship homeports (Elation from Jacksonville, Fantasy from Mobile) Ecstasy consistently sells at higher fares. I believe this is due at least in part to the desirability of Charleston as a port of embarkation. We regularly top the list of destination cities globally (a couple of years ago Charleston was rated second best city in the world, just behind Florence, Italy by Conde Nast).

Is the Charleston port that crazy?

I prepaid our parking. Our docs say priority because of my platinum status but from what I’ve read we still must line up at the port to drop our bags off and then go to park.

The port here is just different, but operations have certainly improved. The port is in the heart of the historic district of the Charleston peninsula which is not all that big so traffic can get a bit congested on boarding days. While its true you get "priority embarkation" as a platinum member, our experience at the port of Charleston over several cruises is that the lines for those with "priority" can be longer than for those without. Our last time sailing from here (Carnival Sunshine end of 2016) we watched those without priority sail through the boarding process while all of us special people with "priority" stood in a very slow-moving line. So give yourself adequate time.

We embark on the Ecstasy out of Charleston tomorrow. I prepaid our parking and we are Platinum so we have priority boarding.

But my friend and her son haven’t seen much of Charleston. She wants to drive around downtown Charleston. The ship leaves at 4:00 pm. I have never thought of this but what is the latest time we need to be at the port to check in?

But I worry if we late to long we will be in the complete chaos?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Just a tip, you mentioned you paid for parking at the terminal and you also mentioned you stay the day before. There are plenty of hotels where you can keep your car at free. We typically stay at the Mainstay Suites in Mt. P. The hotel cost + Uber is still cheaper than port parking. Just something to think about.

I do agree your friend should wait until post-cruise to look around. Plus it gives them more time to check out Charleston!