Dog Chewed memory card

Hi Joey,

Sorry to hear that this happened to you!

It depends how chewed up it is. If the marks are simply external, there's a chance. However, if there are really deep holes there's a good chance that the pictures are gone.

I would do some Googling and find a data recovery service. There are programs out there to help recover pictures, but professional services can do a lot more (i.e. even restore files from burned hard drives).

As PVD Cruiser mentioned there are data recovery services available, they can do wonders with damaged hard drives, the problem is cost.

You could be looking at thousands of dollars, not very feasible for vacation pictures. It is still worth inquiring about though as they usually determine the price by the amount/type of damage, etc.

Sorry can't be more positive than that.

I'm not trying to be 'smart' but can you post or email me a picture from the damaged card? Maybe from the image I can see how likely it is that (some) images are restored.

What kind of card is it SD/MCC, CF, Memory stick,SM, XD?

Whatever you do; remember 2 things..

- Most data good data recover services are so expencive that it's cheaper to redo you vacation. The cheaper services use the same techniques you could do at home; using restore software and sometimes a modified card reader.

- Don't try to restore the images on the card; use a restore program that allows you to only read the card and write to an external (harddisk) source. If you do restore to the card and it fails pretty much all is lost!

I'm willing to have a look at it but I live in the Netherlands so I'm not sure how expencive it would be to have the card mailed to me. Maybe you know someone a bit closer with expeciense also. I have stored images from cards and files from harddrives succesfully in the past. Also I don't know how 'personal' your images are. Anyway I could put them online for you in a 'hidden' place if I would succeed.

How did you plan to get the pictures to your computer? Just because you can't get it into your camera doesn't necesarrily mean it wouldn't go into a reader.

If you usually take it someplace to get a CD burned, you could still try that. Or, there are a lot of external readers that connect to your computer. Many of them are less than $20. I would buy one (maybe take your memory card with you to see if it will go in) and try that. It may be that if you can get it plugged in, all or most of the pictures can be uploaded to your computer.

Good luck.

they have a photo center as well as a reader in a machine to develop photos. If you were near Ohio. I put it in my Roadstor to make a CD of it.

Try the reader first by inserting your card, it may state that i will do a CD of photos or just print them out. If it doesn't read it, then take to the person at the photo Center & they may try it for you.

I think the problem here is that most of the solutions that are being posted are for deleted pictures and such. We are talking about physical damage to the card - it really all depends on the extent of the bite marks.

True.. it al depends on the extent of the damage. If only the plastic is damaged it's likely that a card reader can still get the pictures. You may have to 'modify' (remove the casing) the card reader... I've done this for CF cards and it works perfectly.

I think the problem here is that most of the solutions that are being posted are for deleted pictures and such. We are talking about physical damage to the card - it really all depends on the extent of the bite marks.

Well said.

I think DutsCruiser has offered the most affordable, viable solution you are going to find.

No offense, but Pharmacy, Wal-Mart etc. are horrible suggestions. Just being able to process photos without the challenges of damaged media is enough of a job for them, a damaged card, disc, etc. is just way beyond the scope of anything they can do.

Its a Magicgate 123 MB Memory Stick. I may just send it to you DutsCruiser. How much do you charge for these types of things?

Nothing... It's not my job.. also I've never had to recover a memory stick, only CF cards. But I have the means and I'm willing to try. It's a best-effort-thing...

If it doesn't work you'll only loose the 'stamps' for mailing it to the Netherlands. If you want the stick back you may have to pay a few dollars for that aswel..

Send me an email on "dutscruiser -a-t- itmon -d-o-t- nl" (sorry for the weird typing but I don't want to get spammed) and I'll reply with my home address.

Do you use your camera to download the pixs to the computer or do you have a reader?

If you have a reader, most times you can pop open the plastic covering on the card and manually install into the reader. You can try this or take to Best Buy geek guys and let them do this. It just sounds like the plastic covering was damaged.

I am just nervous that it will get lost in the mail, other than that I can do it/want to do it.

I'm more than happy to do it for you but I kan understand your hesitation. Maybe you have a neighbour-wizz-kid? Al you need is a modified card reader and modifying it isn't really that hard. Just buy an in expensive cardreader and remove the plastic. Than after that make sure the memory stick wil not move out of place when you insert the cardreader in to the PC.

CF cards are easy because they 'hang' on the pins of the reader. For the rest it's just a matter of luck on how damaged the card is.

But again I'm more than happy to do it for you but I may not be the most likely person to do it because of the distance.

Archived