Class of ships

A class of ships is normally named after the first ship that is built (e.g. Sovereign, Radiance, Voyager, Freedom, Oasis). Why is Vision Class named after the last and sixth ship in the class? So it should be Legend class. Does anyone know the reason behind this and how this was possible as in most cases they don‘t know all names when they start with the first order?

I believe these ships habe been named as one class much later and had originally been just three different pairs of ships within a smaller fleet without ship classed but maybe someone here knows more insides?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good question, and I can only hazard an educated guess at the answer. It seems each class of ships has an unofficial class name when they are in the design stages. Voyager was referred to as "Eagle"; Freedom was called "ultra-Voyager"; Oasis was called "Genesis." All of those classes were, indeed, later referred to by the name of the lead ships. For some reason, however, the "Vision" moniker stuck with that particular class. They were initially called that due to their unprecedented (at the time) use of glass, making them particularly appealing for the Alaska run, as they offered lots of great views without people being out in the cold(er) weather.

The differences in the class are quite marked, as you pointed out. The sterns of the French- and Finnish built ships look noticeably different, and the Legend and Splendour (both French built) were even more different. I'd guess RCI gave the designers a lot of latitude to make those running changes, and probably only outlined tonnage, speed, and capacity requirements.

As an aside, I suspect the same was done with the Sovereign class, in that they have the very unique "knuckle" sterns. That is a uniquely French hallmark from the Normandie of the 1930s that the French builders surely incorporated as a matter of pride. That stern design (especially in profile) makes the ships' French DNA undeniable, regardless of who they sail for. It's one of my favorite design "nods" to ships of the past, and one that was pulled off particularly well.

Good question, and I can only hazard an educated guess at the answer. It seems each class of ships has an unofficial class name when they are in the design stages. Voyager was referred to as "Eagle"; Freedom was called "ultra-Voyager"; Oasis was called "Genesis." All of those classes were, indeed, later referred to by the name of the lead ships. For some reason, however, the "Vision" moniker stuck with that particular class. They were initially called that due to their unprecedented (at the time) use of glass, making them particularly appealing for the Alaska run, as they offered lots of great views without people being out in the cold(er) weather.

The differences in the class are quite marked, as you pointed out. The sterns of the French- and Finnish built ships look noticeably different, and the Legend and Splendour (both French built) were even more different. I'd guess RCI gave the designers a lot of latitude to make those running changes, and probably only outlined tonnage, speed, and capacity requirements.

As an aside, I suspect the same was done with the Sovereign class, in that they have the very unique "knuckle" sterns. That is a uniquely French hallmark from the Normandie of the 1930s that the French builders surely incorporated as a matter of pride. That stern design (especially in profile) makes the ships' French DNA undeniable, regardless of who they sail for. It's one of my favorite design "nods" to ships of the past, and one that was pulled off particularly well.

And Quantum was project Sunshine.

Ships are designed under Project name, then officially names are picked sometimes much later... Vision Class was that weird 3 sets built of 2 with the Vision set being the largest, though can't remember reason naming of class... Then 2 of the Voyagers were a larger subclass with balconies outside the ship rather then built in the hull...

Edited by ONECRUISER