Anytime Dining

MargoK

I suspect that Princess has a given number of seats allocated for each traditional dining time and another set of seats allocated to anytime dining.

Princess has a limit on how many can be in Traditional dining, but no limit on the number of Anytime diners. If Traditional is fully assigned, others wanting it are assigned to Anytime.

Carnival, on the other hand, limits how many can be in their version of Anytime. The overflow are assigned to Traditional.

Our waiter told us they're tracking who ate what and where, so that if multiple people get sick, they can more easily backtrack to any commonality on what food they ate, which galley, etc. Seems reasonably plausible and worthwhile to me.

Sun Princess has had a few bad runs (pun intended) of Norovirus over the past couple of years. A media-linked law firm is trying to beat up a class action against Princess. One of the passengers who got ill is quoted as saying he ate dinner in the MDR on New Years Eve and got sick later that night. :rolleyes: The lawyers appear to be trying to base their case on food contamination on the part of Princess rather than contamination from other passengers that don't practise good hygiene. This may be why Princess is trying to keep track of where people are dining so that they can prove there was no contamination of food from that galley.

Sun Princess has had a few bad runs (pun intended) of Norovirus over the past couple of years. A media-linked law firm is trying to beat up a class action against Princess. One of the passengers who got ill is quoted as saying he ate dinner in the MDR on New Years Eve and got sick later that night. :rolleyes: The lawyers appear to be trying to base their case on food contamination on the part of Princess rather than contamination from other passengers that don't practise good hygiene. This may be why Princess is trying to keep track of where people are dining so that they can prove there was no contamination of food from that galley.

Might also explain why the long time Maitre'd on the Sun appears to have left the ship.

Explain to me why it is their "right." I understand the concept of making a request' date=' but I suspect that Princess has a given number of seats allocated for each traditional dining time and another set of seats allocated to anytime dining. People may or may not be able to change their dining preference.[/font']

Because princess says you can change with one day's notice.

It's not a prison.

And, you suspect wrong. There is no limit on the number of people who select anytime dining.

No one is forced into traditional dining, unlike some other cruise lines.

Worst is on very short cruises, where no one plans, and even fewer want to be locked into anything.

As many people as care to sign up for traditional, and the default for everyone else is anytime.

I have been on several caribbean cruises where 2nd seating traditional is lightly subscribed, with

entire sections of the dining room not even set up for service.

The people who might have been in those seats did not choose traditional, and fell into anytime.

Edited by pablo222

"As is their right" Huh!?! You can say it, but it doesn't make it true.

Please cite where you got that from. It certainly isn't Princess' Passage

Contract or even the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights. :o

40814548385_18978f3808_b.jpg

Which you can read for yourself as a note on the bottom of page 5, in this document.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/hk_brochures/2017/2017-2018_EN_Cruise-Atlas.pdf

When princess first started anytime dining, you were free to switch back and forth at will.

40814548385_18978f3808_b.jpg

Which you can read for yourself as a note on the bottom of page 5, in this document.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/hk_brochures/2017/2017-2018_EN_Cruise-Atlas.pdf

When princess first started anytime dining, you were free to switch back and forth at will.

Uhh... Perhaps you would care to re-read what you quoted?

"Subject to availability".

Yeah, the devil is in the details. ;)

Yeah, the devil is in the details. ;)

BTW, my apologies for being snippy upthread. I'd just had a go-around with a

person who was manufacturing "rights" out of thin air, and you caught some

left-over flack. :loudcry:

;)

I have never heard nor read here of anyone being denied this change.

The maitre d' and the head waiters want good marks on the survey.

They want people to be happy. They don't micro-manage the customers to follow the rules.

Often, the posters here are like the thousands of retired condo-commandos, who are out

with their measuring tapes to make sure no one is parked within a fraction of an inch of

violating a rule.

This is not the way to make customers happy, and get good survey results.

BTW, my apologies for being snippy upthread. I'd just had a go-around with a

person who was manufacturing "rights" out of thin air, and you caught some

left-over flack. :loudcry:

Unlike many posters here, I try not to make things up. I also try and not assume that what I saw

on one cruise 5 years ago applies to every cruise of every ship. (which is rampant here)

If you are concerned with 'subject to availability', you should be really concerned with the contract of passage,

where princess says they can do anything they want, including substitute a different ship.

Out of interest do you know the name of the maitre'd? I believe there's a new person on the Sun now.

I was referring to Mario in the Regency Dining Room (and others) but the HEAD Maitre'd has changed however I cannot remember his name. From France I think, and a real character especially at the Cooking demonstration. No Black Forest Gateau demonstration competition this time sadly as that was fun in June last year.