Anyone else come home with the flu or a cold?

SanFranBayCruiser

Lots of that going around right now. Most get it at work or school. I don't know specifically if your friend got sick on the ship, but it's certainly possible at this time of year, just as it's possible to catch it anywhere that large numbers of people can be found in relatively close quarters.

I am recuperating from a cold/upper respiratory thing that i've had for 2 weeks. But my cruise isn't for 5 more weeks! Doctor says nearly everyone in town has something similar. And I don't work or go to school. These things are so-o-o contagious that I'm sure you could catch it on a ship, or anywhere else for that matter.

While your office mate MAY have caught it on the ship, it's just as likely that it was picked up on the airplane home. All that recycled air full of germs, you know. With colds and flu being so prevalent right now, it could have come from any place.

I agree with Sparky12. I take zinc everyday and it really helps boost the immune system. Also, if you feel a cold coming on, I recommend Zicam. It's a nasal spray but works like Airborne. It really knocks a cold fast. Last cruise DH caught cold coming home, I'm sure on the plane. The people right in front of us were hacking and sneezing, and you could almost feel the germs flying! I had been more diligent with the zinc and I never got sick. The saline nasal spray is a really good idea too.

in jan 05 my extended family went on the sensation for a family reunion

of the 18 of us on the boat 14 were sick with the flu (i had pnemonia) by the end of the cruise

my aunt ended up in the hospital

my husband and i are cruising on the imagination 1/21/06 and i started feeling sick (cough/body aches) today...at least i should be better by 1/21

being sick on a cruise is the worst

i have heard good things about airborne....will give it a try

It's an over the counter tube of tablets that you dissolve in a bit of water and drink and that you can find anywhere really, drug stores, walmart, supermarkets. It was developed by a school teacher that was tired of getting sick. Many take it before flying on an airplane, I start taking them 2 days before going into any crowded place.

Thanks for all the tips. My son in LA has had a bad virus over the holidays. He works at UC Irvine and is around students all the time.

I got my flu shot at a small town hall on the south coast of Massachusetts. Later I found out that they were running out of flu vaccine. Glad I got my shot because my DH was very ill with a virus last March when we were on vacation on the coast of California. He still hasn't gotten a flu shot and we are heading to Florida in four weeks.

It's an over the counter tube of tablets that you dissolve in a bit of water and drink and that you can find anywhere really, drug stores, walmart, supermarkets. It was developed by a school teacher that was tired of getting sick. Many take it before flying on an airplane, I start taking them 2 days before going into any crowded place.

Thanks! Is it something that can be taken every day like a vitamin or no? I ask because my daughter starts second semester on wednesday and I just KNOW that by monday she will be sick with something she catches from school. She always is.....

Laura

Thanks! Is it something that can be taken every day like a vitamin or no? I ask because my daughter starts second semester on wednesday and I just KNOW that by monday she will be sick with something she catches from school. She always is.....

Laura

It really isn't intended for every day use.

Whenever I travel, I take good care to wash my hands frequently. When I don't do it enough, I end up with a cold - whether it's a cruise or a land-based vacation. Think about it, you touch things like the back of a chair, a rail, a door handle, etc., that hundreds of ppl have touched....

Wash your hands alot, it's the best defense.

Read the ingriedents list on your Airborne, it is nothing but cleverly marketed vitamins. There is nothing special in it, just vitamins. Probably can't hurt but its no cure.

To the OP, your office mate spent at least 6 hours flying back [and to] in an airplane. Breathing the exact same air as everyone else on the plane. At altitude there is no fresh air brought into the plane. Its all just recycled thru filters. So I'd guess its something like 95 to 5 it was on the plane, not the ship.

Dan

Read the ingriedents list on your Airborne, it is nothing but cleverly marketed vitamins. There is nothing special in it, just vitamins. Probably can't hurt but its no cure.

To the OP, your office mate spent at least 6 hours flying back [and to] in an airplane. Breathing the exact same air as everyone else on the plane. At altitude there is no fresh air brought into the plane. Its all just recycled thru filters. So I'd guess its something like 95 to 5 it was on the plane, not the ship.

Dan

I was a preschool teacher for 2 years and I spent the first 6 months continulously sick until I heard of Airborne. I am now a nursing major so I understand what goes into airborne. Yes, it is just a mixture of vitamins and minerals, but they have the right amount of each to work well together to kick a current sickness or to boost your immune system before a problem occurs.

Yes, they have it in a children's form (Airborne Jr.), and I HIGHLY reccomend it (for you and your kids, but check with the doc first for young children) before you fly, cruise, or visit a place that may encourage the sharing of germs and viruses. And of course, take Germ-X or Purell if there isn't a restroom available!

I read on these boards that there was some kind of bug on the Valor, and sure enough my oldest daughter got pretty sick on the ship and my youngest had a bad cough. However, when we got back from the cruise, half my office was out sick. It's definitely going around so who's to say where exactly somone caught it. It's pretty weird. I don't recall any other year when so many people were sick at the same time. We had our yearly family party yesterday and less than half our family members showed up. The majority of the rest of them were sick.

Archived