Yet another "do I need travel insurance?"

danb35

OP already specified they already have coverage for everything else,

I'm the OP, but your point is well taken--even if the cost delta for CFAR is only 2-3%, I can't buy that by itself. So unless I want something in the rest of the policy, I'm effectively paying the whole cost of the policy for CFAR. And no, I don't think those economics make sense.

Hospital of choice would be nice, but I'm guessing that's going to take a MedJet membership rather than any standard insurance policy. Seems worth looking into though.

I think it's going to come down to the covered reasons for cancellation from my card vs. the covered reasons from the other available policies. Time for some more reading...

Thanks again, everyone, for the input--you're giving me plenty to think about that I hadn't previously considered, which was why I posted in the first place.

MediJet is pretty cheap by the week.

For others, if you can live without insuring the cost of the cruise, some companies allow you to do insurance on a $0 trip cost. Covers things like luggage, delays, medical, evac, even rental car with some coverage.

MediJet is pretty cheap by the week.

For others, if you can live without insuring the cost of the cruise, some companies allow you to do insurance on a $0 trip cost. Covers things like luggage, delays, medical, evac, even rental car with some coverage.

OR get a comprehensive policy from a company like IMG where their LX policy is a primary payer and the evacuation is to a "hospital of your choice" (no need for MedJet).

Last thought to add that you might not have considered, does the insurance on your credit card and your health insurance cover your wife?

It's a good point, and yes, both policies do.

It's a good point, and yes, both policies do.

Along these lines: both dw and I have chase united airlines explorer Visa cards (separate accounts). When we purchase cruises, we do the deposit with one card and the final pay with the other. Several discussions with Chase confirms that this effectively doubles our coverage limits for most of the benefits. That's the good news.

The bad news remains that there's no waiver of pre-existing conditions that might cause trip interruption/delay/cancellation.