Using travel credit cards

Just now, Tourist1292 said:

There is no foreign exchange fee. Lastly, you get 20% more when using the points in travel.

foreign exchange fee or foreign transactions  fee ?

They are  two different  things

1 hour ago, Tourist1292 said:

I got the Sapphire Preferred for travel. It is far better than the Costco one. It has better insurance coverage, it has a very good sign up bonus after spending $4000 within the first 3 months. There is no foreign exchange fee. Lastly, you get 20% more when using the points in travel.

I understand that but this is the issue:

It's not a choice between the costco and the Sapphire Preferred.  We use the Costco card a lot.  We go there at least once a week.  So, it becomes a choice between having the Costco card or the Costco card and the Sapphire Preferred.  Or, to put it differently, does the Sapphire card add enough value to the Costco card to be worth having both?

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I understand that but this is the issue:

It's not a choice between the costco and the Sapphire Preferred.  We use the Costco card a lot.  We go there at least once a week.  So, it becomes a choice between having the Costco card or the Costco card and the Sapphire Preferred.  Or, to put it differently, does the Sapphire card add enough value to the Costco card to be worth having both?

I got the Sapphire Preferred for travel.

The comparison was only about using it on travel expenses. That is in the title of this thread. I do have both. Costco card is better for Costco purchases particularly on electronics. The question is whether it is justify for the $95 fee after the first year. It does for me. I do use multiple credit cards as they have different purposes and give different savings. The Sapphire Preferred is the only one that I need to pay an annual fee though. They have a free version too, but the benefit is not as good although it still has no foreign exchange fee.

Edited by Tourist1292

33 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

The comparison was only about using it on travel expenses. That is in the title of this thread. I do have both. Costco card is better for Costco purchases particularly on electronics. The question is whether it is justify for the $95 fee after the first year. It does for me. I do use multiple credit cards as they have different purposes and give different savings. The Sapphire Preferred is the only one that I need to pay an annual fee though. They have a free version too, but the benefit is not as good although it still has no foreign exchange fee.

My mistake, I should have said the Sapphire Reserve card.  I get those mixed up.

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My mistake, I should have said the Sapphire Reserve card.  I get those mixed up.

If you do travel a lot, the Sapphire Reserve card is really good. It is practically just $55 more per year than the Preferred. If you just redeem a couple hundred dollars on travel, it would make it cheaper than Preferred.

15 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

The Costco Visa has no foreign exchange fees either.

I did a small spreadsheet comparing Costco and Reserve.  The reserve would save me about $170 per year over a five year period.  (Using my valuations.)  Just not sure that's worth it.  I'm not a big fan of points.  I'd rather get cash since cash is more flexible.  The one nice thing about the reserve would be the airport lounges.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The Costco Visa has no foreign exchange fees either.

I did a small spreadsheet comparing Costco and Reserve.  The reserve would save me about $170 per year over a five year period.  (Using my valuations.)  Just not sure that's worth it.  I'm not a big fan of points.  I'd rather get cash since cash is more flexible.  The one nice thing about the reserve would be the airport lounges.

The Costco card removed the foreign transaction fee last year, right after we got the Sapphire card.