Is there an advantage to different internet plans?

jayowl

On horizon next Monday need to know if premium plan on this ship is better than value plan. Recent guest feedback from this ship would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Premium is advertised as faster and with more freedom to surf the internet than the lower plans but in my experience (on other ships) it's not enough faster. No matter what you get, it's satellite internet shared with other cruisers and can get frustratingly slow at peak usage times. Now, with that said, I read one (maybe more?) of the new ships has upgraded their service and if Horizon is one I'd like to see speed tests from it.

Surfing is relative - if my candy crush works fine I may say "Hey the internet works great!" but someone else can't send pictures to to their grandkids back home and will think "Gosh! This internet sucks!" and we are both using the same internet. A speed test should be a more accurate measure and folks have done them on older ships and the best anyone showed that I recall was little better than 3g~4g speeds.

Premium is advertised as faster and with more freedom to surf the internet than the lower plans but in my experience (on other ships) it's not enough faster. No matter what you get, it's satellite internet shared with other cruisers and can get frustratingly slow at peak usage times. Now, with that said, I read one (maybe more?) of the new ships has upgraded their service and if Horizon is one I'd like to see speed tests from it.

Surfing is relative - if my candy crush works fine I may say "Hey the internet works great!" but someone else can't send pictures to to their grandkids back home and will think "Gosh! This internet sucks!" and we are both using the same internet. A speed test should be a more accurate measure and folks have done them on older ships and the best anyone showed that I recall was little better than 3g~4g speeds.

Did you mean 3m-4m?

sadly, no - unless I just totally mis-remember what I read in a thread from last year.

Well, if I could get 3-4 gig on my home broadband, I would be ecstatic, that's why I asked. I just ran a speed test earlier today and had 100m download and 9m upload with Cox.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

oh, no I didn't mean gigs - I meant 3g~4g LTE speeds - cell phone speeds.

Believe it or not, it did occur to me that maybe you meant cellular but didn't want to make that assumption - the meg vs. gig was enough of an assumption on my part. ;)

ETA for the OP: as originalgeek mentions, most of the reports here are that there does not appear to be significant differences (sometime no difference at all) between the premium plan and the value. We had the value plan on Conquest two months ago and it was spotty just in terms of connectivity and when it was connected to the ship wifi, the speed was tolerable but there were things I could not do. I would be prompted to upgrade to the premium plan.

Edited by joepeka

Believe it or not, it did occur to me that maybe you meant cellular but didn't want to make that assumption - the meg vs. gig was enough of an assumption on my part. ;)

ETA for the OP: as originalgeek mentions, most of the reports here are that there does not appear to be significant differences (sometime no difference at all) between the premium plan and the value. We had the value plan on Conquest two months ago and it was spotty just in terms of connectivity and when it was connected to the ship wifi, the speed was tolerable but there were things I could not do. I would be prompted to upgrade to the premium plan.

I was just wondering with the "upgraded" internet on the newest ship if it were an improvement.

I was just wondering with the "upgraded" internet on the newest ship if it were an improvement.

Well it's going to port in NY tomorrow after a TA so perhaps there will be some folks who can report on that. :)