Randi's horses

eyern1

What is the charge, what are the weight limits, and how feasible is it to do both Randi's and the PV canopy tour if we are in port from 7 to 6? What order would you suggest doing them in? Thanks. Oh yeah, is there a website for Randi's?

Here is the link to Randi's Happy Horses, they will have you back at the ship by about 2 so you have plenty of time to do them while in port. The cost is $45 each, and the weight limit is 250 pounds I believe.

http://www.randishappyhorses.com/index.html

In Pureto Vallarta there are actually 3 different places to do the canopy tours independently. One of them your ship will probably be using, so you will have to book with them or do one of the other 2. We really liked the Los Vernos canopy tour.

These are located in 2 different ports........so if your going to both ports you will have no problem doing the 2 excursions on different days.

:)

As immargaret said, they are in two separate ports so you should have no trouble doing both (Canopy Tour in PV, Randi's Happy Horses are in Mazatlan!)

We did Randi's Happy Horses in 2003 and loved it - we are doing it again in April! I am also thinking that the weight limit was 250, but click on the link immargaret provided and e-mail Randi and ask. I believe you will get back to the ship around 2, so it is feasible to also go into town for a while.

We are also doing the Los Vernos Canopy Tour in PV! From comments on this board, it appears to be the best - we made our reservation through this site: http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

Have a great trip!

Thanks, y'all. Turns out I should have asked about time to do both Randi's and one of Frank's tours, but I see there isn't. Looks like we will be with Frank probably, because I can't talk my wife into the horses (she is afraid, despite my telling her of the variety of horses). She has only ridden twice. At least she has said she will try an ATV in Cabo and maybe the Waverunners. I am trying to get her on the Canopy tour (I will be apprehensive as heck at first on them due to fear of heights, but I love roller coasters because I know I am strapped in safely) and parasailing, but I don't think that's gonna happen and I can't afford a big enough piece of jewelry in port to bribe her:D

Is there enough time to do both Randi's and go shopping in Mazatlan?

Jennifer

Randi should have you back to your boat by 2PM. I have read where some cruisers who have done massages after Randi's, so I think there would be plenty of time to shop and spend some money.

:)

Eyern,

Tell your wife that I had never ridden before and I am old (58) and this was the best tour we did in Mexico. Randi and her staff are with you every step of the way and riding on the beach is just so beautiful. Then coming back and sitting there at Victors, drinking a Pacifico and eating that wonderful shrimp or any of the other dishes they prepare - it is just the best. Don't miss it.

Morriscats, It's no use. She's afraid even thought she's ridden twice and never been thrown. I am slightly skittish myself, but not afraid to do it. It was fun riding at the ponderosa, but all it was was a walk (good thing with some of the trails we were on).

We did Randi, this past Oct and I can say it was totally fun. The beach ride was the best. I would do it again. As for Danger level, you have a greater change of getting knocked off a ATV or a waverunner then one of Randi horses.:)

Just received our conformation for Randi's this morning. I can't wait. I have always wanted to go horesback riding on the beach. Now I can. My husband is being such a good sport about the whole thing. He really did not want to go, but did it just for me. All of you on this board have said nothing be great things about Randi and her horse, so I am sure that we are going to have a really great time. :p

Jennifer

I am a little unsure about the horse riding in Mexico for my Feb 5 cruise. I heard that in some ports the horses are in very poor shape. Being a horse owner myself, and not having to pay to ride one, I do not if I should do this experience or not. I would love to ride on the beach, but this may be one I have to pass on if the horses are in poor shape. Any ideas?

If you have read the comments on this message thread, Randi's Happy Horses are the way to go. The horses are well taken care of and Randi is a delight. I've really never ridden before and was matched with "Conejito" (Bunny).

I gave the link for Randi's Happy Horses to a group who also went on the HAL Oosterdam New Year's cruise. They all loved the experience. Randi even allowed one of the group with a broken foot to come and "hang out" at Victor's on the beach for a nominal fee. It was the highlight of my trip!

I am a little unsure about the horse riding in Mexico for my Feb 5 cruise. I heard that in some ports the horses are in very poor shape. Being a horse owner myself, and not having to pay to ride one, I do not if I should do this experience or not. I would love to ride on the beach, but this may be one I have to pass on if the horses are in poor shape. Any ideas?

Cheryl...thanks for the input..I know Randi would appreciate it! How was your trip home? I talked to Keith and Karen yesterday and they are in a major depression being back home in the "normal" world...whatever that is??? LuAnn

The trip home was in a word - LONG. I drove all the way back to New Mexico and got home around midnight. I sent you an e-mail with the link to the pictures I took. Yes, I wish I could go again. I'm "toying" with the idea of doing it again for Spring Break (the third week in March).

It was so nice to meet you - I wish we'd talked more. I hope your foot is healing well so you can be "wild and crazy" on your next cruise.

Cheryl...thanks for the input..I know Randi would appreciate it! How was your trip home? I talked to Keith and Karen yesterday and they are in a major depression being back home in the "normal" world...whatever that is??? LuAnn

I just booked our group of 6 with Randi & I cant wait :D

This trip with Randi will be memorable - after reading literally hundreds of reviews I decided to book.

I am afraid (intimidated) by horses and I am doing this trip with my group to conquer my fear of horses!

I have every faith in the people behind this trip and I am actually excited (not afraid at all) for the trip to come!

Wish me luck!

OK...I totally understand your fear...because I have it too!! But, what is really weird, is that the horses know when you are afraid...so try and be cool..because the experience will be so much better if you can pull it off! LuAnn

Yes I know about the smelling fear thing with animals.

This may seem totally stupid but, I actually live in a province of Canada that is dominated by horses!

My neighbours have 60 horses! and they are all around me... my 3 year old loves horses so I am well practiced at not showing total panic. Usually I just stay back and keep the fence between us so I dont get in the position of having to be scared, but there have been a few times with 'free ranging' horses at the neighbours that brought some feelings of terror :o

I have read so much from people who have gone with Randi, and so many that repeat the trip that I figured what better way to finally just get on a horse than this? and I know they are used to many different riders that I dont have to be nervous that they will take off on me...

I'm a country girl on 4.5 acres in alberta, canada - all that I am missing from my lifestyle (not to mention the constant digs that my friends give me that has been added to my life out here) is the ability to ride a horse!

my community is relentless about teasing me about it!

Hopefully that will all change after a trip with Randi :D

I will be taking many pictures (im a photographer) while with randi - I hope to post them here after I return.

Regarding horseback riding. Everyone on this forum talks about Randi's tours as if it's the only option in Mazatlan. I live in Mazatlan and there's another option you should consider: Ginger's Bilingual Horses has been doing horseback rides three times as long as Randi. I'd highly recommend those considering a ride in Mazatlan to check out her rides to compare with Randi's.

Randi's tours are on Stone Island which means most people go from the cruise ship dock to Stone Island for the ride and back to the ship...never seeing anyting of Mazatlan. Ginger's rides are at Playa Bruja...on the north end of Mazatlan. That means if you take a bus or taxi for your horseback ride, you get to see the full stretch of Mazatlan and its miles of gorgeous beaches. I know she has information at http://www.mazinfo.com/gingershorses and something I've learned from living here...Randi doesn't own her horses, she rents them from other people. Ginger only has eight horses so besides the guide, she can take seven per ride. Her web page says she allows trotting and galloping so this isn't a nose to tail ride like I've been on before.

It can't hurt to check out all the possibilties before booking your ride. Mainly, I hope you enjoy the time you are in my beautiful city!

John

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Ginger's prices are half of Randi's rates, and that Ginger owns her horses. She is very good at matching the rider with the right horse. I've done the ride twice. If you have questions, feel free to email me at srmaz@hotmail.com.

Enjoy!

John

Thanks for the additional info - but I will be shopping in mazatlan after the ride - any info on shope dealing with silver and beads would be appreciated from a local! :)

I will post a new thread for this - hope to see your reply

Archived